How do I turn a mono MKV into a stereo?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
twogurusindrag

How do I turn a mono MKV into a stereo?

Post by twogurusindrag »

I have an old TV special in MKV format, but there's only sound on the left side. I'm wondering how to go about getting sound on both sides? Thanks.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
harrylime

Re: How do I turn a mono MKV into a stereo?

Post by harrylime »

If it's only in left then it's already stereo, just not properly mapped from a mono source (quite common for analogue transfers as then the L channel functions as the mono carrier). To help further I would need to know the exact details, as MKV is not a format but merely a container, it doesn't tell you the formats of the tracks inside of it (video, audio, etc). Could you use mediainfo or ffmpeg to display the file's properties and share them here?
Last edited by harrylime on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Ricky Jay MediaInfo.png
Ricky Jay MediaInfo.png (82.94 KiB) Viewed 338 times
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Sadly with AAC there's no other option then to re-encode (just the audio of course), for example with ffmpeg:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i original.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a -c:v copy -af "pan=mono|c0=c0" -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 192k fixed_audio.mkv
that does rely on the officially paid codec libfdk_aac, if it isn't available in your ffmpeg then you could simply use 'aac' to use its built-in aac encoder with slightly less quality. Another option is to just decode to wav using 'pcm_s16le',

ffmpeg -i original.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a -c:v copy -af "pan=mono|c0=c0" -c:a pcm_s16le fixed_audio.mkv
or 'flac' to keep it losslessly compressed to save space (wav uses around 635 MB for an hour of audio, flac 200-300ish MB depending on the content).

ffmpeg -i original.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a -c:v copy -af "pan=mono|c0=c0" -c:a flac fixed_audio.mkv
However with flac it could be that some players will have compatibility issues as it's not a common format to use with video.
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

That's Greek to me.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

twogurusindrag wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:26 pm I have an old TV special in MKV format, but there's only sound on the left side. I'm wondering how to go about getting sound on both sides? Thanks.
What I’ve done is drop the file into a video editing program(Like iMovie or Final Cut..yes I use a Mac)…and separate the audio…fly that audio into a program like audacity and kill the dead channel and have one proper mono channel.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Use https://xmedia-recode.de/en/

Set format to "matroska"
Set video mode to "copy"
Set audio mode to "convert" and choose codec "flac"
Under audio tab "channel mapping" set "channel order mode" to "custom" , leave "channel 1" as "channel 1", change "channel 2" to "channel 1"
Choose an ouput directory and click "add to queue" then "encode"
Should take under a minute.

Remember to change "channel order mode" back to "disabled" afterwards or it will do the same the next time you use it.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:22 pm Use https://xmedia-recode.de/en/

Set format to "matroska"
Set video mode to "copy"
Set audio mode to "convert" and choose codec "flac"
Under audio tab "channel mapping" set "channel order mode" to "custom" , leave "channel 1" as "channel 1", change "channel 2" to "channel 1"
Choose an ouput directory and click "add to queue" then "encode"
Should take under a minute.

Remember to change "channel order mode" back to "disabled" afterwards or it will do the same the next time you use it.
Worked like a charm. Thanks!