Pedantic With The Beatles question...

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Mr Bump

Pedantic With The Beatles question...

Post by Mr Bump »

I think every copy of the album, With The Beatles, has the album title in wonky letters...

s-l960.jpg
s-l960.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 983 times

But the Wiki page for the album has this image, with straightened letters. What's the deal? Is this an official release or has someone been playing around with it?

Withthebeatlescover.jpg
Withthebeatlescover.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Mr Bump

Re: Pedantic With The Beatles question...

Post by Mr Bump »

And I have realised, the wording has been entirely re-done. The letter t is now curly rather than straight....
DagB

Post by DagB »

Looks like it was changed in the 80s.
https://www.discogs.com/master/45729-Th ... he-Beatles
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Good question Mr Bump. I am going to take a look at my copy and other albums too including overseas copies.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

That's outrageous. How dare they change it. Don't mess with a masterpiece!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Nagasadow

Post by Nagasadow »

Hello everyone. A long time lurker here who has finally decided to register as a member.
Anyways I'm a 2nd generation Beatles fan and I'm pleased to now be "on board"
Before adding my two cents regarding the font used on the cover of WTB, I'd like to take a moment to say Thanks to all
those who have made this forum a wonderful place to be. People like Lord Reith, masterjedi, csnyfan, Mrbeatleg,
Yves (yymca6), cliftdean74, MrP, iPanggo, and many many more!
I'd like to express my sincere appreciation for your exceptional dedication to delivering outstanding contributions
to this forum.
Mr. Bump, this front cover belongs to a German 1988 DMM mono pressing [Parlophone 064-7 46436 1/Matrices: 7464361A-1 & 7464361B-1]
If you try to fail, and you succeed, which have you done?
George Carlin
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Nagasadow wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:54 am Hello everyone. A long time lurker here who has finally decided to register as a member.
Anyways I'm a 2nd generation Beatles fan and I'm pleased to now be "on board"
Before adding my two cents regarding the font used on the cover of WTB, I'd like to take a moment to say Thanks to all
those who have made this forum a wonderful place to be. People like Lord Reith, masterjedi, csnyfan, Mrbeatleg,
Yves (yymca6), cliftdean74, MrP, iPanggo, and many many more!
I'd like to express my sincere appreciation for your exceptional dedication to delivering outstanding contributions
to this forum.
Mr. Bump, this front cover belongs to a German 1988 DMM mono pressing [Parlophone 064-7 46436 1/Matrices: 7464361A-1 & 7464361B-1]
Thanks, Nagasadow. Very interesting. Looking now I can see this lettering with the curly 't' was duplicated from the back of the standard sleeve. I wonder why they bothered for this German issue?

I never noticed before that all copies have the curly 't' font on the back, and not the front - apart from this one, of course.

And welcome to the board!
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Ha, Mr. Bump, what eagle eyes do you have?
Not only the German DMM mono pressing [Parlophone 064-7 46436 1] has the curly "t" on the front cover, but some UK versions have too!

I have an early 1980's "WTB" stereo UK LP, with a straight "t" on the front cover. (also in blue box).
I have a 1988 mono "WTB" UK LP (direct metal mastered), with a straight "t" on the front cover. (also in bread box). No Apple logo on the back cover.
I have an early 1990's mono "WTB" UK LP (direct metal mastered), with a curly "t" on the front cover (also in bread box). Apple logo on the back cover.
Then the 2012 vinyl stereo has a straight "t" again. I don't have a 2014 mono vinyl.

So, I guess around this time (early 1990s up to the remastered 2012 vinyl edition) the "t" has changed from straight into curly on the front cover on European (incl. UK) LPs,
and then back again into a straight "t" in 2012.

I did not notice that at all until your advise here. So thank you for bringing this up.

WHY? Why did they do this? Idk...

BTW: All CD editions (mine anyway), have a straight "t".
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

It also changed to curly "t" for the first US issues in '87: https://www.discogs.com/release/2526482 ... he-Beatles and also for all Capitol-related markets like this one from Brazil https://www.discogs.com/release/2903625 ... IzNzE4NA== . But indeed not for any of the CD reissues... Perhaps they didn't have proper source material for the LP cover and decided to rebuild it?
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

So they've got Giles doing fonts now too, ha!