Recording from Mimi to John

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lord Reith

Re: Recording from Mimi to John

Post by Lord Reith »

Choking Smoker wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:12 am John always needed a strong woman in his life and respected those who would stand up to him. Mimi had a sharp mind combined with a bluntness of expression that seems to have rubbed off on John
It was a pretty strange situation they found themselves in. We will never know the real reasons behind why Mimi took charge of John. In the draft for Hunter Davies' biography Mimi has written angry comments in the margin about what John said about his childhood, and one of them refers to her never having told John the truth about how his mother felt about him. But her attachment to him seems to have predated Julia's marital problems. It seems possible or even likely that she was unable to have children and coveted John, and when she saw an opportunity to keep him she siezed it. But she may also have been motivated equally by a desire to shield John from someone she regarded as a derelict mother. Either way, it's clear she was extremely attached to him. Apparently John spoke with her every day on the phone until he died, so the feeling was reciporocated even if he could never quite free himself of the notion she had stolen him from Julia. I can't remember who he said it to, but he is quoted as having once said something to the effect of "See how you'd feel if someone locked you up with a mad woman".

Recently I had the experience of seeing someone abandon her child and husband. She was not especially a bad person and had appeared to love the kid, but in the end she just couldn't be bothered with him. From the beginning she had left the grandmother to do most of the mothering and eventually just lost interest. I imagine this was how it was with Julia and Mimi. Julia had John but could not be bothered looking after him, and he was left with Mimi a lot of the time until in the end she just said "Well you may as well have him". If John had been left with Julia he would have had no worse a life than a thousand other Liverpool strays, but he more likely would have ended up a crook than a pop star.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Edit: "The most suspicious this about this legendary situation(?) is that Mimi would ever need a medium to carry the message to said Beatle. That was her gracious intervention that provided the only 'privatized ' Beatle abode (...Mona Best?) The gist of this was like completely lucid Mimi on a hot rebutal with the push-push loggerheads waltz that was surely resentful from all angles. So, was Freddie on TV in the Netherlands? No wonder no one 'remembers' him.
What do you call a Scouser in a suit?
(The defendant! Sorry, Liverpool)"

Teddy Boy?
Or, just A Clockwork Lennon?
Uncle's Fuzzy Warbles?
Maybe John got drunk on half a beer(Cheap date----->cheaper nephew!)
Now, wait a damn minute!
(MENDIPS???)
John was audacious to belittle his own home town
when the truth was hardly worthy of such treasonous aspersions.
The road out of Liverpool? Did he even know where that was?
A band called The Beatles is one thing but you'll have way too many uncles, John!
Peace in the Spaniardhood! Near Portugal.
Never keep the MBE on the telly.
KC
beatlepaul

Post by beatlepaul »

Wow....listening to the actual tapes the first thing that comes over to me is how switched on this lady is, the way she berates him is unbelievable and must have hurt him, I always thought that they had a very close relationship, talking to each other most days on the phone and the fact that it's an audio recording and not a letter seems quite strange.
I can imagine the trepidation John felt every time a tape dropped through the letterbox, did he listen to them privately or in front of Yoko, this is amazing stuff that I never knew existed.
Something else that comes over on these tapes is her accent, there is only a very slight trace of Liverpudlian in there.
Do we know over what time period these tapes were made?
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

If you know a person since birth, you know the buttons you can push to get a reaction. Seems like they had the ability to do that to each other.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I haven't listened to the audio. I would expect Mimi to be direct. If she would use any form of recording, that would be a bore. She has legit issues that are on-going. The subject is an urgent one and would be best if left in flux. Mimi is a true enthusiast of her own longevity and probably an advocate of Nobless Oblige. John and Yoko hanging w/ children near Brian Jones, Keith Richards, EC, Hosting Mike Douglas and Dick Cavett week-long and Reuben, Hoffmann, Leary, Michael X, et al.
I'd be worried too!
Genuflect and genuinely flucked!
But, she's clean!
KC