The animals' rendition of My favourite Things

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Gredel21

The animals' rendition of My favourite Things

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi
Question for Lord Reith and anyone else on the board.
The animals' rendition of My favourite Things you mentioned in a post in the box of Harry.

Where is the song from and Did the Animals record it - on what CD or is it a live performance only.
Is there a cd of the Animla on the BBC ????

Greg
fab4gear

Re: The animals' rendition of My favourite Things

Post by fab4gear »

Not sure about that song, but there definitely are CDs of the Animals at the BBC, similar to this one.

hxxps://www.discogs.com/release/5115845-The-Ani ... -1964-1967
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Gredel21 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:30 am Hi
The animals' rendition of My favourite Things you mentioned in a post in the box of Harry.

Where is the song from and Did the Animals record it - on what CD or is it a live performance only.

Greg
They only did it in the From Us To You show in August '64, but there is no known recording of it. It's a famous song from The Sound Of Music.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

https://www.profstoned.com/2021/11/the- ... -1968.html

But there's update coming of that set with House and another unheard since 1967 performance. Watch out.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I wish I had a time machine. There was so much great music being thrown away on the radio. Heard once and then gone. Most of it will never be seen again.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Johnny Kidd Fan Club

Post by Johnny Kidd Fan Club »

Gredel21 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:30 am Hi

Greg
Prof Stoned is the best and most complete comp. of The Animals BBC sessions. All other boot cd's etc. are redundant.
The Animals aren't known to have recorded MFT for release.
Unfortunately there are still heaps of missing Animals BBC sessions - House of the rising sun is only the second track from 1964 to emerge.
I had a partial tape from this FUTY session (naturally passed on to our favourite sweet Lord) and the spots in the show where The Animals were due to appear were met with the pause button. Personally I don't find the preservation of Cilla's hideous honking to be a victory for music history. I suppose in fairness a lot of people don't like Eric B's shouty blues style.

The band's setlist for From Us To You was - The Right Time/THOTRS/My Favourite Things 1.45/I Aint Got You/The Girl Can't Help It
Plenty of the 60s musicians were jazz fans and My Favourite Things was one of John Coltrane's signature pieces. The Doors nabbed it for the solos on Light My Fire for example.
I can strongly recommend any version of MFT by the Coltrane Quartet but in particular, any version with Eric Dolphy joining in on flute.
Mind expanding stuff and very definitely the sound of music.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Thank you all for the great information. I agree with Lord Reith about able to turn back time to re listen to all the Bbc tracks now gone.
Besides the Animals , there were many sessIons from other fav groups lost ie Yardbirds, Kinks , the Who. Wish We had
Greg
C90

Post by C90 »

Johnny Kidd Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:23 am Plenty of the 60s musicians were jazz fans and My Favourite Things was one of John Coltrane's signature pieces. The Doors nabbed it for the solos on Light My Fire for example.
I can strongly recommend any version of MFT by the Coltrane Quartet but in particular, any version with Eric Dolphy joining in on flute.
Mind expanding stuff and very definitely the sound of music.
That's exactly what I thought when I read about the Animals covering My Favourite Things for the radio show... I never knew about this session either, but I thought it would be a jazz influenced take, not a comedy number. The Animals were all familiar with jazz stuff in their early days. Maybe it'll surface one day?!

There's quite a lot of Animals BBC sessions available, but - like with any artist - it's the one-off, unrecorded versions that they broadcast that will always have a special fascination.
Johnny Kidd Fan Club

For anyone who's interested, this is a stunning version of My Favourite Things by the John Coltrane Quartet with Eric Dolphy. I first heard this over 40 years ago (thanks Dad) and it's mind blowing.
At 7.55 ish. Dolphy comes in. It's already got fairly far out in places, Trane has taken it to the edge and then Eric finds a ledge beyond the edge.
There's a story that Dolphy used to sit outside and play along with what he heard the birds singing. I think we're hearing some of that attitude in this performance. He does sound like a jazz bird.

Johnny Kidd Fan Club

and talking of birds (!) here's David Crosby describing seeing the Coltrane Quartet at a club date in the US.
Elvin Jones, the Quartet's drummer (and a big influence on Mitch Mitchell) has just started a solo and Croz is extremely stoned...