And Your Bird Can Sing - 2022 remix

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Modboy66

And Your Bird Can Sing - 2022 remix

Post by Modboy66 »

Has anyone noticed on the Giles Martin remix of Revolver, And Your Bird Can Sing has a major mastering error at 14 seconds where the whole track warbles down a half step. This is not on the 2009 stereo remasters. Also - amazingly - the channels are reversed - from all stereo mixes from Yesterday and Today, Revolver stereo in the UK up to the 2009 remasters. Pretty insane lack of quality control if you ask me. How did that slip by?

I was able to fix the warble error by importing that guitar chord from the 2009 mix - the reverse channel was guitars only - it is where the warble is - other channels not affected - and I lowered Giles drum stem dB by 1 - lowered gain on whole thing hxxps://we.tl/t-Ujjm6CJO4C
Tex

Re: And Your Bird Can Sing - 2022 remix

Post by Tex »

I haven't noticed on the two times I listened to his mix. :lol:

I bet his ProTool sessions look like checkerboards with every bit and section split into multiple tracks with their own FX/EQ settings. This just opens things up to mistakes.

It's one thing if you de-muxed the stereo mix and are trying to iron out internal track inconsistencies like level jumps but it's an entirely different thing if you are going from the raw multi-tracks and starting over.

It's really amazing just how generally error free the original Beatles mixes are and during mono/stereo mixing they were fading and modifying effects and levels LIVE as the tape was rolling. The Beatles multi-tracks are mostly pristine with no obvious head wear or crinkles/stretches you might get with endless overdubbing and mixing.
GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

The warble isn't quite a half-step, but it is definitely there. No doubt about it. I have a feeling it's not a mastering error but potentially a bit of stretch damage to the four-track tape or the result of time-stretching elements to sync them up (which would be totally avoidable, btw). Speed fluctuations in modern digital mastering are extremely rare.

One thing you'll notice if you compare the 2009 mono CD, the 1987 stereo CD and the new remix is that they all run at slightly different speeds / pitches. The differences are tiny but real. Mechanical analog gear.
GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

Tex wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:06 pm It's really amazing just how generally error free the original Beatles mixes are and during mono/stereo mixing they were fading and modifying effects and levels LIVE as the tape was rolling. The Beatles multi-tracks are mostly pristine with no obvious head wear or crinkles/stretches you might get with endless overdubbing and mixing.
4-Track / 1/2 inch tape might just be the most robust, hi-fi multi-track format there ever was.