Ringo Starr personal tape recordings from 1966 Tour

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
A-Caceres

Ringo Starr personal tape recordings from 1966 Tour

Post by A-Caceres »

From the Omega Auction:
Two Philips C-90 cassette tapes and one Philips C-60, two with handwritten labels (very likely in the hand of Ringo Starr) 'INDIA' and 'MAHARESHI' the third with a sticker affixed bearing handwritten label 'MANILLA (sic) INDIA'.

All three contain recordings made by Ringo Starr, likely on a personal tape recorder (see here for image of Ringo returning from tour carrying what appears to be a tape recorder), of various events throughout (mostly) 1966. All recordings have very likely never before been published. Approx 248 minutes of recordings across the tapes.

At one point Ringo describes the tapes as 'a talking record of our trip to Germany and Japan'.

Across the three tapes, which contain hours of candid conversations with The Beatles, Brian Epstein and others within the inner circle during that period, a small selection of 'highlights' includes:

- Brian Epstein discussing how to avoid paying tax/import/export charges when leaving Japan.

- Numerous humorous interludes with Ringo recording his thoughts on the tours - often in an array of voices.

- Band discussions of the set list for the Japan tour.

- Recordings from the Budokan concerts (segments of 'If I Needed Someone' and 'Day Tripper') possibly from stage or close to stage itself, seemingly more likely from the band listening back to the recordings, whilst still in Japan. Also John asking Brian Epstein what he thought of the show.

- Recordings from Manila inc thoughts on the hotel ‘pretty crappy’.

- Extensive recordings from July 1966 whilst in India including the group experimenting with Indian musical instruments.

- Extensive recordings of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - possibly recorded later than ‘66- approx 38 minutes worth.

- Recordings of Ringo solo with piano performing ‘Don’t Pass Me By’, an early version without full lyrics.

- Recordings of Ringo at piano performing two likely unreleased demos - one with refrain ‘have you seen the tulips grow’ and one seemingly a version of 'I Bought A Picasso'

Provenance: purchased by the vendor as part of a collection of Beatles memorabilia. By repute - the original owner had been an acquaintance of Ringo Starr during the 1960s. Accompanied by CDs containing copies of recordings.
EdinSc

Re: Ringo Starr personal tape recordings from 1966 Tour

Post by EdinSc »

will we ever get to hear the full tapes? The sample shared does include a short snippet of "Don't Pass Me By" on piano.
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

EdinSc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:21 pm will we ever get to hear the full tapes? The sample shared does include a short snippet of "Don't Pass Me By" on piano.
Especially the piano demos would be fantanstic to hear. One probably completely unheard of Ringo original? Plus another glimpse into "I Bought a Picasso"! Hopefully these won't end up in some private treasure vault. :|
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Gasp. Wish I was rich.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

These will go into someone’s Private collection never to be heard again although if digital copies were made it’s just possible they may find their way into high end collector’s circles, but don’t hold your breath. Time to remortgage the house.
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

harrythebannister wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:25 am Time to remortgage the house.
alternatively: