John Duff Lowe RIP

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Spaniard in da Works

Re: John Duff Lowe RIP

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 am I've been saying that for 20 years. They're not from Paul's house, the room is way too large. It is a very large room, maybe 15 metres across. In Hunter Davies' bio Astrid relates that Stu gave her one of the tapes and told her they were recorded at the art college. That would have been an ideal gathering place since Paul's school was literally next door.
Just to clarify, are you referring here to all the recordings or just to the earlier one, the one with Cayenne, the unsufferable instrumentals and the bad Stu?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:43 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 am I've been saying that for 20 years. They're not from Paul's house, the room is way too large. It is a very large room, maybe 15 metres across. In Hunter Davies' bio Astrid relates that Stu gave her one of the tapes and told her they were recorded at the art college. That would have been an ideal gathering place since Paul's school was literally next door.
Just to clarify, are you referring here to all the recordings or just to the earlier one, the one with Cayenne, the unsufferable instrumentals and the bad Stu?
They're both from the same room. But the instrumentals tape had tape echo added to it later on by the bootlegger. When i revised Kicks Kudos & Cash a few years ago I came up with a process to remove the added echoes and they basically sound the same as the other tracks.

I'm not saying they were all recorded the same day, just that they seem to have used the same place. A big room with hard walls like a classroom. At one point in "You'll Be Mine" you can hear John coming across the room to pick up the mic and speak directly into it and all the ambience on his voice disappears. So the ambience is not added or it would still be there. It is part of the recording and indicates that it was quite a large room. Not sure the flat was large or echoey enough going by the photos. The Life Room at the art college on the other hand is exactly the right proportions. And besides, Stuart told Astrid they were recorded at the college. For me that clinches it, because he was the one who had the tapes and gave one to Hans Walther Braun and presumably the other was left behind at Astrid's house when he died.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:22 am They're both from the same room. But the instrumentals tape had tape echo added to it later on by the bootlegger. When i revised Kicks Kudos & Cash a few years ago I came up with a process to remove the added echoes and they basically sound the same as the other tracks.
That might also account for the fact that George seems not to be there (but if he isn't, is Paul the one who plays the Duane Eddy instrumentals?).

I think the accepted wisdom that it was recorded in Paul's house (and that his brother Mike was there) comes solely from Paul's recollections, but Paul has a habit to weave together some fragments of memories and construct a story that he repeats every time. I've learned to take anything Paul says with a pinch of salt.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:59 am I think the accepted wisdom that it was recorded in Paul's house (and that his brother Mike was there) comes solely from Paul's recollections, but Paul has a habit to weave together some fragments of memories and construct a story that he repeats every time. I've learned to take anything Paul says with a pinch of salt.
I would never listen to anything Paul says. Or any Beatle. :lol:

I don't think George is there for any of the tracks except the ones with electric guitar (Hallelujah, One After 909, Moovin And Groovin and one other instrumental) because those are the only ones with three. I certainly can't hear him singing either. I used to think the "ba ba ba" at the start of Matchbox was him but listening more closely this appears to be Paul doing a voice similar to World is Waiting For The Sunrise. George was working at that time I think. I definitely feel like those four tracks with electric guitar are from somewhere else. The ambience on those is extremely claustrophobic. And Hallelujah may be from yet a different session. And why does it have a scratch halfway through?
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:22 am When i revised Kicks Kudos & Cash a few years ago I came up with a process to remove the added echoes and they basically sound the same as the other tracks.
Which version? I have the regular, The Executive, and the Approved Version.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

billychildish wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:40 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:22 am When i revised Kicks Kudos & Cash a few years ago I came up with a process to remove the added echoes and they basically sound the same as the other tracks.
Which version? I have the regular, The Executive, and the Approved Version.
The Approved one was the last version.