MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Lord Reith

Re: MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:38 pm LR, that sounds like Windows talk...

But bottom line, friends don't let friends use Mega ;-)
Ha ha. I know some people are completely terrified of the command window, but really in this case it's no different to typing the url into a browser. The great thing is that you don't have to open mega at all. The utility is only a few hundred kbs so doesn't impact your computer's performance in any way.

I'm voting it Most Useful Tool Of The Year. Just the thought of never again having to wait for that red circle to complete while it is "decrypting file" fills me with joy. Goodbye Mega Bollocks!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:00 pmHa ha. I know some people are completely terrified of the command window, but really in this case it's no different to typing the url into a browser. The great thing is that you don't have to open mega at all. The utility is only a few hundred kbs so doesn't impact your computer's performance in any way.

I'm voting it Most Useful Tool Of The Year. Just the thought of never again having to wait for that red circle to complete while it is "decrypting file" fills me with joy. Goodbye Mega Bollocks!
Mac users don't use .bat files, but otherwise it sounds good! Otherwise I do love a good Terminal prompt every now and then ;-)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Used it again yesterday. Pure joy.
Kando

Post by Kando »

Interesting advice regarding easier downloads from the site, but I went to the https://megatools.megous.com/ site, and found it less than straight forward in terms of even locating the zip file, lol. I finally went to a linked page for build versions and found a supposed current 64 build zip file there. I'm guessing (hoping, lol) that is the correct file. I did find a .bat file within the zip file, which I am also guessing that is the one I would use after extracting the files

Question though, just where would one normally unzip these files to for later use, as recommended. Doesn't seem like a normal 'program', so to speak, in how it is used, so has me in a bit of a quandary.

I usually don't have issues with odd little programs, etc. that I come across but this one seems a bit different, and so the questions.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
C90

Post by C90 »

I have a Mega account, a free version, and I keep getting message saying my storage is almost full (and of course, inviting me to subscribe to a paying version with greater storage)
Does anyone know how to delete files from a Mega account?! I have loads I can discard but am unable to work out how to do it!
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

C90 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:45 am Does anyone know how to delete files from a Mega account?!
  1. Log in to the site. It should immediately take you to your "Cloud drive".
  2. Find the item(s) you want to remove.
  3. Right click
  4. Click "Move to Rubbish bin"
  5. If a prompt comes up to verify, click "Move"[
  6. Right click the Rubbish bin
  7. Click "Empty Rubbish bin"
  8. At the prompt, click "Empty"
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:26 pm

Code: Select all

megatools dl -- - placemegalinkhere
and hit ENTER. That's it. It'll download to the same folder.
And you can copy and paste a bunch of download commands and have it download the while lot. Even though it's downloading something, just paste the next one in and it'll do it next.

For uploading, you put your username & pass in the .ini file and then I just do
megatools put FILENAME
but I like to do
megatools put *.rar
as that uploads ALL the .rar files in the folder without having to type all their names. (Or *.zip if you prefer, etc.)

To get your link after uploading.
megatools export /Root/FILENAME
And if the filename has spaces in it you need to do...
megatools export /Root/"FILENAME"

See a list of the files you've uploaded
megatools ls

Delete a file
megatools rm /Root/FILENAME

To see how much free or used filespace you have
megatools df --free --gb
megatools df --used --gb
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Kando wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 pm Question though, just where would one normally unzip these files to for later use, as recommended. Doesn't seem like a normal 'program', so to speak, in how it is used, so has me in a bit of a quandary.
It doesn't "install" in the conventional sense, so you can put it anywhere. Put it somewhere you can easily find, like your "Downloads" folder.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:38 am Mac users don't use .bat files, but otherwise it sounds good! Otherwise I do love a good Terminal prompt every now and then ;-)
Mine doesn"t have a .bat file but from LR's description it sounds like it's just a user-friendly way to make sure you're in the right folder. For me, I open a dos window then
G:
cd meg*
to get me into the right folder.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Kando wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 pm I usually don't have issues with odd little programs, etc. that I come across but this one seems a bit different, and so the questions.
If you're computer is 64 bit windows then use that one yes. Just save the zip to anywhere you like it doesn't matter. Then extract the megatools folder and click on the megacmd.bat file and a command window should appear. Actually I clicked on the .exe file first and a command window appeared for about half a second so I'm not sure what that did and if it's necessary to do that first (haven't needed to do it since). If the bat doesn't work you may need to right click and select "run as administrator".

In the command window paste your url like so:

Code: Select all

megatools dl -- - placemegalinkhere
and hit ENTER. That's it. It'll download to the same folder.

Like most command line programs it assumes a certain level of understanding so I didn't find the instructions at all useful, but this seems to work. All it does is allow you to bypass all the hoops and bullshit and download straight to your computer instead of to the memory.