A good day at the office

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Nimbus

A good day at the office

Post by Nimbus »

I retired a couple of years ago and now volunteer for a local charity, taking in donations of furniture, electricals, books etc. A lot of rubbish comes in but today was different. Five boxes of Beatles books & DVD's were donated. Nothing ultra-rare, no signed copies of 'In his Own Write' etc. Quite I few of them I already have but I've had my pick of the others, and of course made a donation. Just need a year or two to read them now.

https://imgur.com/a/0jHzXV7

It's likely that a Beatle collector has passed away and his/her family have cleared the property. A fate that awaits us all perhaps :(
Anyway, I raise a glass to a fellow Beatlemaniac, whoever you are/were.
Lord Reith

Re: A good day at the office

Post by Lord Reith »

Result! :D

Hey I'm glad this poor guy's stuff didn't just wind up in a skip. Looking at those I'd say he was the same age as me... a sobering thought.

I wonder what happened to his cds...
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

Wow.
I wonder what happened to his records/cds
If he had that many books there must be a trailer somewhere filled with them.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Only the rich with huge mansions have their belongings preserved after their death. I'm always amazed by these old wealthy families with stuff gojng back hundreds of years. By contrast, not even a single birthday card or family photo survives from my grandmother's life.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I have several thousands of books on rock music - all kind of artists, mostly quality books; also lots of mags, CDs, box sets, HDDs filled with everything in FLAC, and no idea at the moment who'll inherit the riches :lol: the least I can do is to compile the list and to attach the note, "If you take this to the dump, you'll be the sorriest loser in the world - this stuff costs $$$". :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There should be some sort of organisation that pairs up people who want to leave their stuff to someone to people who would gratefully accept it. I just hate it when stuff is carelessly binned by families of the deceased.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

My wife has already assured me that when I go, she will trash everything. Hey, I won't be using it anymore, so...no biggie.

I haven't made a will. Yet. But when I do, I will most certainly condemn someone other than my wife to take possession of the archives.