So, does Ringo sing on "Now and then"?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
billylentz

Re: So, does Ringo sing on "Now and then"?

Post by billylentz »

About autotunes, first of all agree I´m together in the criticism. I´d much rather have an out of tune singer than an autotuned one. In fact, small tone variations don´t bother me at all. That´s just part of singing, of human voice.

Also, tune-wise I don´t think Ringo needs it. It only takes listening to his concerts. He sings perfectly fine. Same old Ringo we´ve always loved.

What I think is really bad is that autotune has gone further than it was intended to, which was already bad. But it has become an aesthetic tool. It´s now part of a style, of an element people expect to hear on music, much as guitar distortion, for example. I think it´s horrible.

Ringo has been using that a lot, sadly, but, to be fair, not as much as people say. Most of his songs have a natural voice. Paul has used it too. I wish they haven´t.
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

billylentz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:56 pm
Ringo has been using that a lot, sadly, but, to be fair, not as much as people say. Most of his songs have a natural voice.
No, really, it's EVERYWHERE. On each and every song on every studio album and EP at least since "Ringo 2012", and on most of "Y Not" for sure.
"Y Not" being the first album where he is the credited producer, so maybe there's a link here.
Each time he releases something new, I pray that he will get rid of it at least for one song, or he will use it more lightly, but he doesn't. And it's painfully obvious.
The only songs on which I have doubts are the bonus tracks on "Give More Love" (the new versions of "Don't Pass Me By", "You Can't Fight Lightning" and "Photograph".) Can't hear Autotune clearly there. As these songs have been recorded with "outside" musicians and engineers, maybe it makes sense.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

dannysonar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:58 pm
billylentz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:56 pm
Ringo has been using that a lot, sadly, but, to be fair, not as much as people say. Most of his songs have a natural voice.
No, really, it's EVERYWHERE. On each and every song on every studio album and EP at least since "Ringo 2012", and on most of "Y Not" for sure.
"Y Not" being the first album where he is the credited producer, so maybe there's a link here.
Each time he releases something new, I pray that he will get rid of it at least for one song, or he will use it more lightly, but he doesn't. And it's painfully obvious.
The only songs on which I have doubts are the bonus tracks on "Give More Love" (the new versions of "Don't Pass Me By", "You Can't Fight Lightning" and "Photograph".) Can't hear Autotune clearly there. As these songs have been recorded with "outside" musicians and engineers, maybe it makes sense.
But some level of it is pretty common practice now. It´s a pity.

But what I meant by saying Ringo songs have a natural voice is that i think few of then go to the point of him not sounding like a real Ringo. An effected Ringo, sure, but still him, mostly, while, on, say, on Paul´s "Can´t get enough" there´s bits where he´s not him anymore.

The production approach on Ringo´s album in general has been questionable. Everything tends to be a little too much at least every since "I wanna be Santa Claus".
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

I always thought the deep struggling voice was Ringo...
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

georgefromhenley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:46 pm I always thought the deep struggling voice was Ringo...
It’s very very deep…his autotuned voice is under Paul’s autotuned voice but it’s there and can’t be unheard
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

I listened to about 30 seconds of this song. My "opinion" is that is drivle and wasted effort. I realized that there simply are limits To how much autotune I will tolerate. I avoid ALL AI like plague
"please tell your mother I am not a bum. I am a musician"
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

All that I like from this song is the Video, I never liked the song(1995-1996) and I will never ever like it. I´m sure about it. :geek:
PaulsBrokenaGlass

Post by PaulsBrokenaGlass »

I think Paul's vocals are just low enough in the mix that it works quite well. I think if everything wasn't so compressed it would be even more effective. I don't hear Ringo, though.