Ken Womack’s book on Mal Evans

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
fabwill

Re: Ken Womack’s book on Mal Evans

Post by fabwill »

I'm almost halfway through - and I would wholeheartedly recommend it as there's a lot of new information, witnesses and context.

There's great insight into what went on on tour that I don't recall reading before (only a handful of people could possibly give the testimony), both from the perspective of how dangerous and haphazard it all was but also about how, shall we say, 'people conducted themselves', not all of which paints the Beatles (or Mal) in a great light (some of what it implies about Mal's 'activities' on tour is pretty troubling).

Very much looking forward to what Womack described as part 2 - the actual archive itself.
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

Bought it but not started it yet.
Looking forward to reading it when I get my current book finished.
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Onkster II wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:07 am One other point: he goes into more detail about how scary the 65-66 tours got. Don’t think I ever read anything else quite that intense about it.

Annnnnnd…there’s a cassette of Mal on the receiving end of some fun that his kids unfortunately got ahold of. Doubt this will be making the Mal bootlegs rounds ever!
And I thought his life at that time was all carrying heavy amplifiers around and telling restaurants not to put onions in Ringo's food!
Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

I really hope the second part would be much more interesting.
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Wait, so does the "second part" "part 2 archive" actually come with this book right now, or will it need to be ordered later separately? That's what I'm more interested in having as well.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

applebonkerz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:58 pm Wait, so does the "second part" "part 2 archive" actually come with this book right now, or will it need to be ordered later separately? That's what I'm more interested in having as well.
It's separate and not available yet.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
DrRobert

Post by DrRobert »

Got to say it got more interesting post Beatles but it is a thoroughly depressing read towards the end.
billybudapest

Post by billybudapest »

I thought this book was a good read! We all knew a little bout Mal. And now we know so much more.
A complicated, tragic tale.
I'm grateful to all involved bringing his life story, warts and all, to the public.
Can't wait for part 2.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

For some reason i thought it'd be a flimsy paperback. But no, it's a real old fashioned proper book. Looking forward to reading it.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene