Is boot buying a thing of the past?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
20YearsAgo

Is boot buying a thing of the past?

Post by 20YearsAgo »

On another thread, FileUnderT asked,
FileUnderT wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:10 am Is buying bootleg albums now a thing of the past?
So, is it?

How many people here still buy new boots? I gather that there's only a relatively few members here who actually share new boots, but are others still buying them? My own boot buying impulse comes and goes. In the 2010s, I'd buy most of the HMCs and a few others each year. When HMC ceased releasing new titles though, I mostly lost interest in new boots. I still bought 2 or 3 a year, but usually felt like a sucker for doing so. Since the Stowe tape came out over the summer though, I've been on a boot buying binge. Not sure how long this will last, mind you.

Does anyone have a handle on how many copies a boot producer might sell of a given title? I'm genuinely curious about this. Months ago, I bought a few no-label individually-numbered "limited edition" boots and was shocked at how low the numbers were. Take a look:
IMG_20231129_0001.jpg
IMG_20231129_0001.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1367 times
IMG_20231129_0002.jpg
IMG_20231129_0002.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1367 times
IMG_20231129_0003.jpg
IMG_20231129_0003.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1367 times
I bought the Stowe disc very soon after it came out. So the low number (134) didn't surprise me.

However, I bought the two "Pope" releases maybe 18 MONTHS after they came out. And the numbers (206 and 215) are still very low. This shocked me. The two-disc Pope set represented HUGE upgrades in the BBC material. And the three-disc set hadn't (to my knowledge) been shared at a public forum before I ended up uploading it here.

Back in the height of Yellow Dog & Vigotone releases, I gather that a good boot would sell many thousands of new copies. Now though, can the numbers really be just in the low hundreds?
Loplop

Re: Is boot buying a thing of the past?

Post by Loplop »

I think more people would buy them (myself included) if places didn't close up shop all the time.
I bought some from Discogs when you could get them there, but that's not allowed anymore.
Discjapan closed up shop just when I wanted to get back into them.
As someone one who loves bootlegs, I don't even know where to turn to get them right now.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

I still buy them but selectively. A lot of the boots now is material from forums like this so it’s getting a bit pointless. I have all the HMC discs which was easy starting from when they were first released. If I had to play catch up I probably wouldn’t have bothered. A lot of sources to buy them from closed up.
Golem

Post by Golem »

I buy them, but its more of a collectors item thing, I already have all the content

The the internet has been great in giving us all the content we could ever want, and providing a way for us to archive everything so nothing gets lost, however the death of buying bootlegs does also mean the death of bootleg labels having money to buy new material for us, which is a shame
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Well I see no shortage of new boots when I go to record fairs, but I'm talking vinyl, not CD. Typically they are limited aditions and from time to time I'll buy one. Recently got one called Psychedelic Beatles, and a TMOQ LP, Raw Master remix of Abbey Road in an unusual sleeve,
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Last boots I bought was in 2000: Turn Me On Dead Man and Another Sessions Plus. Nice booklets and nice slipcases and mixes that were totally new to me.

I do remember I was on my way home and was looking at TMODM and realised that it had two copies of Disc 2. No disc 1. I went back to the shop and he found its twin: a TMODM with two copies of Disc 1.

Prior to that I had stopped buying boots after the Great Dane bbc ep when Live At the BBC and Anthology came out. I thought then "That's it, this'll kill off all the boots". Ha ha.

In 2005 I started to buy them from another fan. I think it was five bucks for a cd and eight for a dvd. I bought huge armfulls of them and that in fact was the first time I had ever seen Beatleg dvds. He had an incredibly long list with all the latest titles and I must have done that for about five years. I could get ten cdrs from that guy for the price of one "real" Beatleg cd. If I wanted the cover (which was not often, given that they are usually awful) I could get my printer friend to do it.

I like the return of vinyl Beatlegs. Haven't ever bought one though.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Low numbers - this just means that the era of mass production is in the past.
MrP

Post by MrP »

music buying is a thing of the past, so it stands to reason boot buying is also
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

i only buy vinyl boots, unless they're really cheap cd's. i just love records :)
Maccawings

Post by Maccawings »

Nope, I still buy quite a few