Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Moptop

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by Moptop »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 pm I can tell you that the version I posted of "Oldies" was my original copy I received from him.
100% agree, one of his catch-all upgrade messages said that anyone with a 'Digital Audio' disc was due an upgrade.
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

I Am The Walrus wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:18 am I found out about DR. EBBETTS in 2006 and for me at the time it was incredible.
At first I just downloaded through torrents and Souseak, after a while I got the contact of a seller and then I bought many titles from the English and American discography.
Now I'm not sure if most of my CDRs are fakes or real. I have no idea.
Hopefully, this disc chronology will help, if not drop me a DM and I'll see what I can do, no promise as there are so many variants and probably not even a pressing on every disc type/variant.

DESS + Club Release Disc Chronology
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Honestly I was very unlucky, I'm sure I was scammed by the salesman who sold me the Dr. Ebbetts CDs. I spent a lot of money for nothing.
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

This is my Oldies supposedly from the Archive Series collection. Can anyone say anything about this? I'm sure I was scammed but I would like some opinion please.
Thank you very much.
Attachments
A Collection Of Beatles Oldies - Archive Series.jpg
A Collection Of Beatles Oldies - Archive Series.jpg (241.55 KiB) Viewed 940 times
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

I only purchased 3 discs from "him" back in the day. The mono discs for "Revolver", "Pepper" and "MMT". I still say, to my ears, the rip of the mono "Revolver" is still the best I have heard of that title.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Maybe this will help clarify things. I found an interview I did with him back in 2009 and he says:

"Were all of the Ebbetts titles mastered from vinyl
(as opposed to tape)?

Well, in the early days, I did source almost primarily from vinyl. To be clear, when I say “the early days,” I mean the late 1990s up until, maybe, the summer of 2000. After that, everything was vinyl - including the “U.S. Singles Collection.” So, to be as candid as possible, perhaps 95% of everything I did during that early period did come from vinyl sources. But in those days, I also had a reel-to-reel machine as well as copies of many of the Beatles LPs on reel-to-reel tape. Indeed, I had quite a few Beatles albums on vinyl, obviously, but not all of them - at least not any that I could realistically use as audio source material for the project. So, I had to borrow a lot of clean albums from friends, often mix and matching needledrops to create a finished project. For instance, my personal copy of, say, “Something New” in stereo might have been really clean - or even virgin (meaning a 1980’s unopened purple label release I got from E- Bay with a cutout hole) - but all the tracks just couldn’t be used, either because of age or due to years of storage that inflicted some sort of groove damage to the vinyl. As anyone who drops vinyl knows, there isn’t much you can do with that annoying “staticy” groove damage without compromising the audio. Thus, I’d wind up having to borrow two other copies of “Something New,” transfer them to my hard drive, and then mix and match the best sounding tracks from each drop. Sometimes, I’d have to use a track from the reel-to-reel release. It gives me a headache just thinking about that time. It was fun, but it was time consuming. It should also be noted that every one of those mix and match early versions, few as they were, disappeared by the fall of 2000 or thereabouts.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Tribune or tribunal?
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

IMO this whole topic can be shortcutted by instead focusing on way less questionable and excellent rips by more straightforward fans such as:

PBTHAL
Dledin
vinylwall
Dr. Robert
Mirror Spock
McCannon
soumac
MrBeatleg
Vee-Jay (not the label)
RalseiDeltarune

However, re-examining the Dr.'s process in discussion form is good information to have.

The only things I'm currently holding on to from DESS are the MFSL Japanese half-speed masters (until I find another source) and Hear The Beatles Tell All (because who cares about that one!).
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

Totally agree with alphabeatles, but is it safe to say that the Doc's work maybe inspired all of the above to do their own versions and improve on those.
There is a DESS version of the west coast Rubber Soul with the added reverb, has anyone else issued a rip of that.

Thanks for the interview Doug
reechie

Post by reechie »

I like the DESS discs I have, all of them second hand downloads. I think it boils down to, do you like listening to these discs or not? Do we no longer like these CD's because they don't sound right to us anymore, or because somebody told us we're not supposed to like them?