Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Doug

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by Doug »

brainwashed wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:54 pm Give me some time and I'll get the test discs out of storage. Doc used many of my source albums, and the albums of many other longtime Beatles collectors. How do I know he used what was sent?? A tell tale teeny pop, an album with some inner groove distortion, etc... Doc had some nice gear back in the day and the end product was usually quite good indeed. I don't believe he ever used a digital/CD file, but he did solicit files from some collectors so it's possible they were sent to him and he then used them without knowing. Not trying to be a total apologist here, but Doc always treated me with respect and he knew his stuff. And 10 years ago it was near impossible to have 'drops in such listenable quality. They stand up well, even today. Ron
Except that one says "mono" and the other "stereo," the image of "Oldies" you posted matches the disc that Dr. E sent me all those years ago, so I can confirm it's the real deal.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks for the two rips. I shall check both and report back.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Okay, the result is in!

Chicagofanforever 5+ copy of Oldies is the same as mine, this one:
earlier release.jpg
earlier release.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 808 times
She Loves You (the first song) is taken from the CD EP set. Not only does it synch up perfectly, it cancels out when inverted and mixed with the ep. There is a little bit of treble left which makes me think the Doc may have added a tiny bit of eq to his master. I haven't checked the rest of the songs yet but I suspect they are all also from the CDs of the time.

Brainwashed copy (the "Archive Series") does not synch in any shape or fashion and is almost certainly a vinyl rip. I listened to "Hand" and there is some slight telltale inner groove distortion. So whther it came first or second, this one is an actual transfer of a vinyl record:
Archive Series.jpg
Archive Series.jpg (87.72 KiB) Viewed 808 times
So maybe the Doc originally just made up a version out of the early cds, and then later on when he made more friends was able to get a proper rip of it. Dunno. Like I said, one of the versions of the US Revolver was also made up out of cd rips. I think it was a mono, but I can't really remember now.

Does someone have a timeline that can shed more light on why the Doc did two versions of Oldies and when they were issued?
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:32 pm Does someone have a timeline that can shed more light on why the Doc did two versions of Oldies and when they were issued?
This may or may not be helpful in determining exact specifics, but might provide a *little* more clarity overall:

http://www.beatleg.info/music/docs/beat ... d/deaa.htm

(shoutout to Moptop for this info)

Dr. Ebbetts Club (2010-2012)

Archive Series

A new series of titles started to be rolled out in 2010 until 2012, with updated rips and artwork all in a Super CD case, or standard jewel case if prefered; which were distributed to a smaller private members club in the format of your choice CD, DVD-A, DVD-Universal or Data Disc (without case).

So, in my opinion, it looks like some of the early "original" CDs he produced in the beginning were possibly re-ripped later (maybe from superior sources?) for a more "definitive" (and accurate) CD... but i'm only speculating.

8-)
—Keith
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

powerPC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:40 pm
So, in my opinion, it looks like some of the early "original" CDs he produced in the beginning were possibly re-ripped later (maybe from superior sources?) for a more "definitive" (and accurate) CD... but i'm only speculating.

8-)
In true then it would appear that it was the earlier, widespread versions that incorporated tracks from the official cds. The later more closeted ones were actual vinyl rips. Obviously in cases where no cd version existed at the time (pre-2009) he must have used vinyl rips but maybe that was confined to the more easily available titles?
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:38 pm Here is a scan of my disc.DESS Oldies mono CD 001.jpg

Thank you for the uploads Chicagofanforever 5+

I think looking at the CDR brand, SID and 'Digital Audio' artwork , that this disc was made in 2004. I have been unable to trace a remaster/upgrade notice for this title and would assume that this does not have the remastered audio. Nero Infotool will show the burn date for a disc of this age.

The Doc has admitted that he mixed and matched some early titles and I wonder whether the audio shared with the pre 2001 Plasmon CDR image is one of these. Whilst he said that he had updated these, I wonder if this title was not, as when he closed shop in 2009, it remained without updated artwork and I assume audio. The Club release in August 2011 has alternate audio.

CDIDs

CC093410 2008 rip , unknown disc cc093410 2010 Disc
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Moptop wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:01 pm The Doc has admitted that he mixed and matched some early titles
I'm pretty sure the original Oldies release will turn out to be entirely cd sourced. I know the Revolver one was, because I checked every track.

I was never a collector of these so it doesn't bug me that much, but a lot of people were saying back in the day how much better the DE discs were in sound quality. Which could turn out to be pretty funny if they were just listening to reheated versions of their old cds. :lol:

I'll check some of the ep box he did.
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:00 pm
powerPC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:40 pm

8-)
In true then it would appear that it was the earlier, widespread versions that incorporated tracks from the official cds. The later more closeted ones were actual vinyl rips. Obviously in cases where no cd version existed at the time (pre-2009) he must have used vinyl rips but maybe that was confined to the more easily available titles?
Probably a far too simplistic approach to the Doc's output. He was very much a tinkerer or perfectionist depending on your opinion. Artwork and audio were tweaked and major updates were provided as free upgrades others just past made and have only come to light when alternate discs have been compared.

Major disc labels can identify marked changes to audio, even new rips. I don't think 'Oldies' was one of them. If anyone has a pre 2004 original and post 2007/2008 copy, identified by SID or Britian [sic] been corrected on the disc art and 'Digital Audio' being replaced with 331/3, they can post it will verify .

Mono Oldies.png
Mono Oldies.png (718.98 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

I can tell you that the version I posted of "Oldies" was my original copy I received from him. I'm sure there were later versions done. My original introduction to his catalog was collecting the original US titles that he did a great job on at a time when there were no digital versions.
Same goes for the first 4 UK albums he did in stereo weather he used the Mobile Fidelity LP's as his source or UK stereo LP's as his source. These versions were before any of these were issued on CD.

I know he upgraded his US titles at least 3 times because I have 3 pressings of them. And that is all before any of them were issued on CD. He was always looking for the best possible sound for any of his releases. He eventually had 2 versions of the UK catalog available, one taken from the Mobile Fidelity releases and another from the UK "Blue Box", again part of his desire to have the best sound possible.

Once certain titles became available on CD there was no reason to continue his catalog, that being said his releases are still go to rips of original albums that in some cases did not get a proper transfer to CD by Apple or EMI. This being part of the reason we still hunt down quality rips on the sites we visit daily.
I'm glad I was part of his mailing list back in the day. Again, my original draw to his catalog was the US releases and the missing on CD UK titles. For that reason he filled the void.
Last edited by Chicagofanforever 5+ on Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

I Am The Walrus wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:28 pm I have this one Mono and Stereo from the Archive Series collection. I bought it a long time ago, but I don't know if it's a fake.
Sorry for the low quality of the photo.
Sorry, not one of Doc's Club releases which were released:

July 2010 - Stereo - Free promo Club release
August 2011 - Mono - issued as 9th instalment
Last edited by Moptop on Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.