Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
alphabeatles

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by alphabeatles »

From another text file:

"THE BEATLES
Dr. Ebbetts Blue Box Remasters (2006)

From the Doc's announcement:

By far, THE most requested project for the Dr. Ebbetts Sound System is the remastering
of the famed BLUE BOX set released in Decmeber, 1978. To many, this set offers among the
best representation of the original UK stereo releases. To that end, Ebbetts has decided
to begin "stagger releasing" the original UK stereo LPs from the BLUE BOX set.

The LPs from which these new masters are sourced are unplayed until now.

Now, let me explain this BLUE BOX project and how it fits into the Ebbetts catalogue..

The Ebbetts catalogue has always offered both the MOBILE FIDELITY and ORIGINAL UK STEREO
versions of the British titles. Indeed, up until now, the audio used in each of these
sets were identical. The only thing that differentiated, for example, the MFSL version of
"Please Please Me" from the standard UK issue of the same title in the Ebbetts catalogue
was the artwork. Otherwise, the two were identical. That will now change. Starting today,
the MFSL audio masters will stay exactly as they have been, sourced from the actual MFSL
vinyl releases. However, the standard UK stereo issues, complete with the original
artwork, will slowly be phased in to have the BLUE BOX transfers used as their source
material. To many, the MFSL CDs are the best sounding releases around ... but to others,
they are too bright with a bit too much EQ on either end of the spectrum, as applied by
the geniuses who master these things. To many, the BLUE BOX releases are smoother and
more natural sounding and better represent the Beatles recorded work. Thatís up to you,
of course, but over the next few months, the BLUE BOX will stand to represent the
original stereo UK titles.

These new BLUE BOX releases replicate with FAR MORE accuracy, the artwork of the original
releases, right down to the EMITEX logo on the back. Many of you have older version of
the artwork and will need these. Even if you do have the new artwork, the audio is brand
new."
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

Here is my rip of the original "Oldies" UK mono DESS CD I have. All my Dr. Ebbetts discs are original from him. I can tell you that the one pictured on top a few pages back would not be his pressing. His silver discs were the shinny ones with black print and no perimeter print. That disc looks like regular printable silver CD, the ones with the flat silver finish not the shinny finish.

The lower one in the picture would be a later pressing of his when he changed the design of his Parlophone discs. Also, his earlier artwork had only titles and print on the back inside covers, his re-issues had a faint picture under those titles and print. This was the case with his Capitol issues and his Parlophone issues. While the CD I posted is one of his originals we can't verify what his exact source was for each track. We know there were plenty of issues where he substituted tracks from other sources.

I see more fakes of DESS releases out there than originals. Hope my rip helps out in some way.

yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:28 am Here is my rip of the original "Oldies" UK mono DESS CD I have. All my Dr. Ebbetts discs are original from him. I can tell you that the one pictured on top a few pages back would not be his pressing. His silver discs were the shinny ones with black print and no perimeter print. That disc looks like regular printable silver CD, the ones with the flat silver finish not the shinny finish.

The lower one in the picture would be a later pressing of his when he changed the design of his Parlophone discs. Also, his earlier artwork had only titles and print on the back inside covers, his re-issues had a faint picture under those titles and print. This was the case with his Capitol issues and his Parlophone issues. While the CD I posted is one of his originals we can't verify what his exact source was for each track. We know there were plenty of issues where he substituted tracks from other sources.

I see more fakes of DESS releases out there than originals. Hope my rip helps out in some way.
And what is the look of your disc? Can you upload a scan please?
Yves
Track06

Post by Track06 »

yymca6 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:47 am And what is the look of your disc? Can you upload a scan please?
I would prefer a photo of CD and a toothbrush. Sounds silly, but I'm serious. Thanks again!
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:28 am Here is my rip of the original "Oldies" UK mono DESS CD I have. All my Dr. Ebbetts discs are original from him. I can tell you that the one pictured on top a few pages back would not be his pressing. His silver discs were the shinny ones with black print and no perimeter print. That disc looks like regular printable silver CD, the ones with the flat silver finish not the shinny finish.
This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Thank you very much for sharing.
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:54 pm
brainwashed wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:43 pm I have originals, test discs, and original artwork for most of the catalog. Let me know if any are needed for a new Beatlegdb project. Ron
So are you able to upload a bona fide genuine mono Ebbetts version of "Oldies" please?
I'll go through the boxes in the morning 11/28/23 (East Coast US time). Most of my discs are separated from the artwork. I have a slew of test CDs and some differ from what was ultimately released. I can upload select titles starting tomorrow. Ron
Lennons Ghost

Post by Lennons Ghost »

Iv'e collected most of his catalogue. This is very concerning news, as i was a big fan of his needledrops. Very disappointing. Almost makes me want to start deleting things...

If anyone is interested and wants to do some more detective work, here are most (if not all) of his Beatles releases in one place.

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/U8l3VJ4I#4yuLh4hWKLlLek9qQoygwg/folder/dg8ADZbC
Last edited by Lennons Ghost on Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, Misunderstanding all you see"
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Track06 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:55 am
yymca6 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:47 am And what is the look of your disc? Can you upload a scan please?
I would prefer a photo of CD and a toothbrush. Sounds silly, but I'm serious. Thanks again!
Excuse me for offending you with my not perfect English, BTW my second language.
Yves
Track06

Post by Track06 »

yymca6 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:50 pm
Track06 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:55 am
Excuse me for offending you with my not perfect English, BTW my second language.
I'm sorry to annoy you. I was just thinking of a relatively fake proof, low obstacle way of providing a picture without giving away personal information.