Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
BDJ

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by BDJ »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:00 am
BDJ wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:41 am Thanks. So what LR meant to say that he heard a 1.3 second wobble, not a 1.3 Hz wobble.
A Hertz is a measurement of frequency, so 1Hz is one oscillation per second. 1.3 Hz is 1.3 oscillations per second, that of a 45rpm record with an off centre hole.
According to track06, 45 rpm corresponds with 0.75 Hz, not 1.3 Hz. :roll:
Track06

Post by Track06 »

According to Andrew from Parlogram Auctions, vinyl is usually more dynamic because he sees some peaks in the waveform, and rare early tube cut pressings are sounding better because he sees something in a spectrogram and misinterprets distortion as musical content. Why he doesn't look at She Loves You in Izotope, I don't know. But it definately wouldn't back up his claim, like it seems to do in other instances.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Wogew wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:45 am According to Andrew from Parlogram Auctions, his source has confirmed that SLY was taken from a mono master tape and not from a vinyl record.
I rewatched the segment. Andrew is actually telling us what PJ received according to his impeccable source, not what ended up on the release. It's reasonable to believe these 2 different things are closely related.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:49 pm Here's the actual "She Loves You" WAV from the "Million Sellers" CD EP not a "remaster". It's important to use the actual sources not tweaked versions. Archive this PLEASE don't ignore it.

hxxps://we.tl/t-ef75pJ8uCH

This transfer destroys any other version I have heard but I have not heard the CD single maybe someone could post that it should be archived as well.

Why the hell could Giles not use this transfer??
Without doubt both the best and the least edited transfer! The hi hat goes wild at 1:28 but eh, that's easily fixed.The other digital sources, including CD single and 2009, have phasing at the edits, covered up more or less poorly.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Bianju wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:31 pm At the risk of further diverting the conversation, I think the whole story about This Boy being remixed into stereo for Oldies seems bunk. It seems like early on they were labeling mixes after their take number (since they were only making one/maybe two remixes per track still), and you can hear the announcer almost say RM15 instead of RS15. I think the Barrett tape for This Boy (and thus the released mix everywhere else) is actually a mix they made in 1963 along with RS17 of I Want To Hold Your Hand-- they both have sided vocals, after all.
I think there’s little confusion on the surviving mix as Barrett’s notes show that those mixes are indeed on a reel made in 63. However I don’t see what this has to do with what Emerick did or didn’t do in 66? And in that regard there is studio documentation as mentioned by Lewisohn that there was a new remix made. Barrett then didn’t find it during his work and thus it’s believed to have been scrapped.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

I've made my own mono remaster of She Loves You based on the CD EP source, which had the best fidelity of all transfers.

- speed corrected all the different tape splices to the median speed (3 different speeds across the splices)
- EQ matched all splices (3 different EQ profiles, and then some slight tweaking for consistency)
- undid the patch at 1:23 using the CD single
- correctly aligned the bad splice at 1:31
- fixed dropouts

Let me know what you think!

hxxps://we.tl/t-kePWx4Ni20
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

As usual, this is excellent. Thank you much. And thank you for all your excellent work for the community over the years. I enjoy listening to what you do.

Dave in Nashville
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Made my own stereo demix of She Loves You based on my remaster, and it's quite different from any you will have heard before:
hxxps://we.tl/t-jCSrwVahOz
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:47 am
According to track06, 45 rpm corresponds with 0.75 Hz, not 1.3 Hz. :roll:
Oh yes, of course. I accidentally did 60/45 rather than 45/60. Duh.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

csnyfan wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:01 pm Made my own stereo demix of She Loves You based on my remaster, and it's quite different from any you will have heard before:
hxxps://we.tl/t-jCSrwVahOz
Give over guv. That 's someone playing guitar along with the record!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene