Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:02 pm Holy Cow! I just heard the CD single for the first time. Thanks alpha!

The CD EP beats the shit out it EQ wise and tape edit wise.
Yes, because I'm thinking the EP master was made way back in the 60s before the damage.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Tex

Post by Tex »

RAJ wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:01 pm Sorry to be so late to this party, and accept my apologies if this has already been discussed, but to my 54 year old ears, several of the remix tracks on the 2023 Red album seem to have a bit too much reverb added to the vocals to the point that they almost seem to be swimming just barely below the surface of it. I found it very distracting but perhaps it's just my old ears. I'm finding myself more and more upset at the project and all its little errors and glitches even though there are some truly nice moments.
This is one thing I noticed in the new mixes. I can always tell when they add reverb. Also some of them actually have an offline (recorded off speakers) quality mixed in. Definitively "I Am the Walrus" has that quality. Previous mixes were crisp and inline sounding like straight from the multi-track.

In 2015 they literally did that to make pseudo-surround channels of the mono stuff. That's a dumb-ass idea if ya ask me.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Track06 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:54 pm 45 rotations per minute means one rotation takes 60/45 (~1.3) seconds, that beeing 45/60(0.75)Hz. You don't end up with a signal at that frequency, but you will alternatingly end up with the groove passing the stylus too quick/too slow resulting in all frequencies modulating at that rate by an amount determined by how much off center the record is (both 0, ideally).
My interpretation of BDJ's post that led to this reply was influenced by me not paying attention. :oops:
therowdyman

Post by therowdyman »

Here's a compiled account from Barrett's notes on the mono SLY.

The TL13557/R5055 tape did the rounds, even back in the 60s. But it's still not the only copy of the track still in the vaults. If a digital file of the SLY master wasn't going to cut it due to the tape splices, then why resort to a record if they also had two EP masters (three if you count "unreleased" as being a confirmation that the Fabulous tape survived) and the Oldies master to use? I was under the impression (from interviews with Giles during the White Album promotion) that the entire Beatles tape library was now backed-up to digital.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Track06 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:54 pm 45 rotations per minute means one rotation takes 60/45 (~1.3) seconds, that beeing 45/60(0.75)Hz. You don't end up with a signal at that frequency, but you will alternatingly end up with the groove passing the stylus too quick/too slow resulting in all frequencies modulating at that rate by an amount determined by how much off center the record is (both 0, ideally).
Thanks. So what LR meant to say that he heard a 1.3 second wobble, not a 1.3 Hz wobble.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

I checked the Heineken version of She Loves You. Subtracting L from R gave me this:

https://ibb.co/k8TY5P1

You can see the edits as spikes. For some reason they are all ca 1 second earlier than other versions, so probably a quicker start.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:41 am Thanks. So what LR meant to say that he heard a 1.3 second wobble, not a 1.3 Hz wobble.
A Hertz is a measurement of frequency, so 1Hz is one oscillation per second. 1.3 Hz is 1.3 oscillations per second, that of a 45rpm record with an off centre hole.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I checked the CD EP version of SLY against the mono version of the Oldies LP from Dr Ebbetts... and was somewhat dismayed to find that Ebbetts just lifted the track straight from the CD EP! Vinyl rip my arse! :evil:

Not the first time I've found stuff copied from cds on his supposed rips of rare records. The US Revolver was also all made up of stuff from the official cds. Amazing to think that people were paying for cdr copies of stuff they already owned! :roll:

I was going to check his EP collection but I think I'll just bin all my Ebbetts stuff. Waste of time.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:00 am
BDJ wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:41 am Thanks. So what LR meant to say that he heard a 1.3 second wobble, not a 1.3 Hz wobble.
A Hertz is a measurement of frequency, so 1Hz is one oscillation per second. 1.3 Hz is 1.3 oscillations per second, that of a 45rpm record with an off centre hole.
https://www.aqua-calc.com/one-to-one/fr ... e/hertz/45

Re Ebbetts - Waste of time? Probably. I've noticed all kinds of anomalies throughout the years. I think maul may have given up on that matter too. Although we can't be sure what's passed off as Ebbetts is Ebbetts. I've encountered supposed Ebbetts releases which made use of 2009 remasters, whereas the mp3s I downloaded like 2003 obviously had a differnet source. So not only Ebbetts supposedly is faking, his work also gets faked.
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

According to Andrew from Parlogram Auctions, his source has confirmed that SLY was taken from a mono master tape and not from a vinyl record.