Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Track06

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by Track06 »

Files not accessible currently, but if I remember correctly, L & R of the transfer used around 1988 for CD singles and Past Masters are not identical too.
maul

Post by maul »

csnyfan wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:19 pm Anyone have the transfer of SLY from a stereo machine?
I'm not sure I follow ...but these are two good (and not-DESS) transfers:
UK SINGLE [Contra Band Music] hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1i_sWlPFt6u2reLyyaG51yj17txuptOjP/view?usp=sharing
EP 'THE BEATLES' MILLION SELLERS' [Millenium Remasters] hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1NqBdLX40iqYH0MaODDHZTA8lnQiMrqN4/view?usp=sharing
Tex

Post by Tex »

Here's the actual "She Loves You" WAV from the "Million Sellers" CD EP not a "remaster". It's important to use the actual sources not tweaked versions. Archive this PLEASE don't ignore it.

hxxps://we.tl/t-ef75pJ8uCH

This transfer destroys any other version I have heard but I have not heard the CD single maybe someone could post that it should be archived as well.

Why the hell could Giles not use this transfer??
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but surely the Million Sellers EP in the 60s must be a tape copy of the SLY mix?

That might explain why the EP version sounds good on cd and perhaps they could have used that tape copy as a source. Second gen analogue is better than a vinyl rip surely.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:49 pm I have not heard the CD single maybe someone could post that.
See if any of these are of use.

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1QrnnVKlrhkc4Gi8w-veIqtsITqV39ns1/view?usp=sharing
Tex

Post by Tex »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:54 pm So correct me if I'm wrong here, but surely the Million Sellers EP in the 60s must be a tape copy of the SLY mix?

That might explain why the EP version sounds good on cd and perhaps they could have used that tape copy as a source. Second gen analogue is better than a vinyl rip surely.
Wise old man Hoffman did teach us that a good mastering of 2nd generation tape can beat a bad mastering of a 1st generation tape. :ugeek:

That 1st generation tape may not be playable anymore.
RAJ

Post by RAJ »

Sorry to be so late to this party, and accept my apologies if this has already been discussed, but to my 54 year old ears, several of the remix tracks on the 2023 Red album seem to have a bit too much reverb added to the vocals to the point that they almost seem to be swimming just barely below the surface of it. I found it very distracting but perhaps it's just my old ears. I'm finding myself more and more upset at the project and all its little errors and glitches even though there are some truly nice moments.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:58 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:54 pm So correct me if I'm wrong here, but surely the Million Sellers EP in the 60s must be a tape copy of the SLY mix?

Wise old man Hoffman did teach us that a good mastering of 2nd generation tape can beat a bad mastering of a 1st generation tape. :ugeek:
Exactly. Perhaps when they did the cd version of the EP set, they thought "Oh well, let's go back and use the original 1st gen tape of the single for SLY" but then realised that the 2nd gen EP transfer sounded much better. As for them not using it this time, well if you do not proceed from the assumption that the tape was damaged in 1988 then you would not really expect the EP master to sound any better. I can't think of any other reason they would ignore it.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Holy Cow! I just heard the CD single for the first time. Thanks alpha!

The CD EP beats the shit out it EQ wise and tape edit wise.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

RAJ wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:01 pm Sorry to be so late to this party, and accept my apologies if this has already been discussed, but to my 54 year old ears, several of the remix tracks on the 2023 Red album seem to have a bit too much reverb added to the vocals to the point that they almost seem to be swimming just barely below the surface of it. I found it very distracting but perhaps it's just my old ears. I'm finding myself more and more upset at the project and all its little errors and glitches even though there are some truly nice moments.
What happens is that they use the original echo chamber (an actual room) as well as Studio 2 itself to give the elements new ambience. I don't really like this either but a lot of people seem to. The choice of using reverb and how much and what type is one of the major decisions in a remix. It always polarises the listeners.