Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
maul

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by maul »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:05 pm Does anyone actually have the Dutch 1976 stereo single of Yes It Is? That would be a fabulous collector's item. Picture?
Here is:
hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1BkwjTVO0NC2r85UgEX95cMm20HSO-PNC/view?usp=sharing
this is the very first release of Yes It Is Stereo remix
1976>Dutch Single
1982>Barrett Tapes
1986>Heineken Tape
1988>Past Masters
harrylime wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:15 pm
BDJ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:20 am Here is the Heineken beer promo, also called Only the Beatles (mp3 alert): [url]hxxps://we.tl/t-1Ls9ZmzqYX[/url]
It is in stereo with centred vocals.
I'm still puzzled about Past Masters, I have several releases of it, but none have This Boy with centred vocals..... :?
That's the fake stereo, see the Love Songs version hxxps://fromsmash.com/thisboy_lovesongs or the one on Meet The Beatles hxxps://fromsmash.com/thisboy_meetthebeatles that both sound very similar. On headphones you can clearly hear the vocals aren't centered, they are delayed between the channels. Because of EQ'ing you even hear a slight separation between John and Paul where either of them is more prominent depending on the channel. Listen to the Anthology DVD remix afterwards to hear how the centred vocals actually sound. It also explains why you were puzzled by the one on Past Masters, that's the actual remix, and also consider how the proper mixes from early 4-track sound, like Hand or the A Hard Day's Night album. All of these have clear separation and hard panning, not this kind of delay-panned mixing.
Where did you source your Heineken boot from? I can't find it at my side at the moment so I'm not sure if it's a matter of a fake or that the actual tape never featured the actual stereo in the first place. Could you perhaps share Yes It Is and She Loves You?
👍 Heineken actual tape feature This Boy in fake Stereo, Love Me Do and She Loves in pure Mono and Yes It Is in Stereo
Last edited by maul on Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

maul wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 pm 👍 Heineken actual tape feature This Boy in fake Stereo, Love Me Do and She Loves in pure Mono and Yes It Is in Stereo
That explains it then, thank you.
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

harrylime wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:30 am
BDJ wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:12 am Thanks. I'm really still talking about true stereo mixes, as mixes with centred vocals (based on the 4-track).
But that's not on the Heineken either, I replied specifically to your statement "The only complete true stereo release I know of is the 'Heineken' release." while the elephant in the room in that regard is that the much more common and thus popular Past Masters contains that exact same version.
The Past Masters are stereo but don't have centred vocals in This Boy. The Rarities - that I have - seem to have mono versions of This Boy.
I'm talking about the EP, not the LP. Technically just called 'The Beatles'. And then the CD version released in '92, not the 80s vinyl (which has it in fake stereo, perhaps from the Love Songs master).
Yes, I looked at the Anthology DVD. It doesn't have the intro and outro, length (excluding chatter) is 2m01s. The single of This Boy lasts for 2m10s. OK, we are missing only 9 seconds on the Anthology DVD, but for true Beatles fans this is a lifetime :lol:
Purple Chick missed the intro, but does have the outro. I don't have the 'Two Track Mind' album that you refer to.
Ah you're right, PC misses the strum intro and has the count-in instead. Two Track Mind has the intro but not the count-in, [media]download [url=hxxps://fromsmash.com/tbanth_ttm]here[/url].[/media] Both are 2m16s.
Harrylime, from which source have you taken "This Boy" which you've upload here? From "Anthology", maybe? Forgive me but I'm getting a little confused :?
Ale.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm not sure which songs we're even talking about anymore... :? :? :?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Alessandro Rocchi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:12 pm Harrylime, from which source have you taken "This Boy" which you've upload here? From "Anthology", maybe? Forgive me but I'm getting a little confused :?
Two Track Mind as I mentioned, which is the compilation of all Anthology DVD remixes.
thomoz

Post by thomoz »

BDJ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:20 am
harrylime wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:30 am
BDJ wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:12 am Thanks. I'm really still talking about true stereo mixes, as mixes with centred vocals (based on the 4-track).
But that's not on the Heineken either, I replied specifically to your statement "The only complete true stereo release I know of is the 'Heineken' release." while the elephant in the room in that regard is that the much more common and thus popular Past Masters contains that exact same version.
Here is the Heineken beer promo, also called Only the Beatles (mp3 alert): [url]hxxps://we.tl/t-1Ls9ZmzqYX[/url]

I'm still puzzled about Past Masters, I have several releases of it, but none have This Boy with centred vocals..... :?
"This Boy" is not in stereo at that link, it's the same reprocessed audio that was in my vinyl EP boxed set (labeled stereo, but actually fake reprocessed stereo)
Bianju

Post by Bianju »

maul wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:05 pm Does anyone actually have the Dutch 1976 stereo single of Yes It Is? That would be a fabulous collector's item. Picture?
Here is:
hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1BkwjTVO0NC2r85UgEX95cMm20HSO-PNC/view?usp=sharing
this is the very first release of Yes It Is Stereo remix
1976>Dutch Single
1982>Barrett Tapes
1986>Heineken Tape
1988>Past Masters
harrylime wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:15 pm
BDJ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:20 am Here is the Heineken beer promo, also called Only the Beatles (mp3 alert): [url]hxxps://we.tl/t-1Ls9ZmzqYX[/url]
That's the fake stereo, see the Love Songs version hxxps://fromsmash.com/thisboy_lovesongs or the one on Meet The Beatles hxxps://fromsmash.com/thisboy_meetthebeatles that both sound very similar. On headphones you can clearly hear the vocals aren't centered, they are delayed between the channels. Because of EQ'ing you even hear a slight separation between John and Paul where either of them is more prominent depending on the channel. Listen to the Anthology DVD remix afterwards to hear how the centred vocals actually sound. It also explains why you were puzzled by the one on Past Masters, that's the actual remix, and also consider how the proper mixes from early 4-track sound, like Hand or the A Hard Day's Night album. All of these have clear separation and hard panning, not this kind of delay-panned mixing.
Where did you source your Heineken boot from? I can't find it at my side at the moment so I'm not sure if it's a matter of a fake or that the actual tape never featured the actual stereo in the first place. Could you perhaps share Yes It Is and She Loves You?
👍 Heineken actual tape feature This Boy in fake Stereo, Love Me Do and She Loves in pure Mono and Yes It Is in Stereo
At the risk of further diverting the conversation, I think the whole story about This Boy being remixed into stereo for Oldies seems bunk. It seems like early on they were labeling mixes after their take number (since they were only making one/maybe two remixes per track still), and you can hear the announcer almost say RM15 instead of RS15. I think the Barrett tape for This Boy (and thus the released mix everywhere else) is actually a mix they made in 1963 along with RS17 of I Want To Hold Your Hand-- they both have sided vocals, after all.
Tex

Post by Tex »

As far as i can tell it's edited from at least two takes and then some SI edit pieces.

The two takes have totally different levels of drums. The beginning and end sounds to be the same take with very clear drums and then most of the middle is a different take or takes with poorly defined drums.
bogus

Post by bogus »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:07 pm I have always suspected that when they went to do the transfer of the SLY tape in 1988, it broke at all the tape splices as it went through the machine. Someone then re-cemented all the splices but, like Humpty Dumpty, it was never quite the same again.
What tape was used for the 5" CD Singles Collection and CD EP Collection?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Regarding She Loves You...

It seems to me they tried demixing the tape and MAL didn't like all the compromised splices, so they went back to the earliest possible source: an original 45. I did exactly the same thing years ago when I had a crack at demixing it. I tried various digital versions and then a rip of the mono "Oldies" lp and that demixed far more successfully. So I'm not surprised they did that. But they could have found a better vinyl copy maybe... the one they used sounds knackered.

I have always suspected that when they went to do the transfer of the SLY tape in 1988, it broke at all the tape splices as it went through the machine. Someone then re-cemented all the splices but, like Humpty Dumpty, it was never quite the same again. I never noticed the splices until Past Masters. Listening to the previous sources they were always there but vastly less obvious. If it had sounded in 1963 like it sounded in 1988, Norman Smith would have just done the whole edit again from scratch. They would never have let that version out.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene