Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by Kwai Chang »

20YearsAgo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:44 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:42 am Well I'm glad people like my mix of Walrus. :)

I don't understand why they didn't demix the original radio feed. As with previous versions they've gone back to the BBC's archive copy of the play and re-added the voices and synthesised radio twiddling effects, which has led to some extra stuff being included that was not actually on the record.

A lot of people seem to like it though, so what do I know.
Did I miss this? Could someone point me to it? Thanks!
I was sated by Lord Reith's I Am The Walrus and although similar, Engonoceras did his own mix that I liked. They are not the same. However, I always thought this was Lennon's first attempt to induce harmonic tension on the surface of the playback...which might be what Giles thinks. I haven't heard the new Blue mix. But, both of their(L.R./Engo) respective versions are most welcome to my ears...I have always disliked the discomfort of the song on all versions prior. So, if Lennon was pleased, he might like Giles' new 'mix, even more. Giles might have strict orders to head West. But is that on the x, y graph or the x, y, z graph? 118 vertical layers of King Lear Tension? I don't know if that's...is it? Could it be a precursor of Number 9? It could...but, if Lennon thought Walrus too tense, he might have had ideas that were much more subtle but no less influential! THIS is the blessing of disassembly...AND, the curse. We will be forced to debate even more than we do...but new appreciation is a realm of its own. And, so Eureka! Gooo gooo gooo jooob!
KC
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:42 am Well I'm glad people like my mix of Walrus. :)

I don't understand why they didn't demix the original radio feed. As with previous versions they've gone back to the BBC's archive copy of the play and re-added the voices and synthesised radio twiddling effects, which has led to some extra stuff being included that was not actually on the record.

Has anyone got the full recording of the 1967 King Lear out of interest, so it could be redone with EQ-matching etc?
I see it's in three parts here but can't be access without an educational account:
https://era.org.uk/shakespeare-resource ... ar-part-1/
https://era.org.uk/shakespeare-resource ... ar-part-2/
https://era.org.uk/shakespeare-resource ... ar-part-3/
Fred68

Post by Fred68 »

Patrick Healy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:39 pm Has anyone got the full recording of the 1967 King Lear out of interest, so it could be redone with EQ-matching etc?
I recall that it appears in decent quality here:

I searched my hard drive but couldn't find it.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Phil_Lip wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:00 am Is 'She Loves You' mastered from a single?
It definitely lacks fidelity and I'm sure there is inner edge distortion towards the end.
Is there some wavey pattern in the mushy cymbals that goes up and down 45 times per minute? I think I've encountered this number before.
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1215 times
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Patrick Healy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:39 pm

Has anyone got the full recording of the 1967 King Lear out of interest, so it could be redone with EQ-matching etc?
I see it's in three parts here but can't be access without an educational account:
https://era.org.uk/shakespeare-resource ... ar-part-1/
https://era.org.uk/shakespeare-resource ... ar-part-2/
https://era.org.uk/shakespeare-resource ... ar-part-3/
hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1gX6cSkjBXmGHagFwR7dOXqUcM1ey4uks/view?usp=sharing
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:47 pm
dannysonar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:45 pm Yes, there is some talk going on about this in the SH Forums, the usual well-mannered way. "The hi-hat is late !" "No it isn't, and I'm a pro drummer !"
Don't even bother. :roll: It's actually early
Yes, they said early, actually, my mistake.
SH Forums are fun to read, but for a while only. How people can get so angry and aggressive because they disagree on remixes is very impressive. The mood is much more pleasant here !
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I too think She Loves You is from a disc. It is a bit distorted towards the end, and the tape version isn't.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

dannysonar wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:19 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:47 pm
dannysonar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:45 pm Yes, there is some talk going on about this in the SH Forums, the usual well-mannered way. "The hi-hat is late !" "No it isn't, and I'm a pro drummer !"
Don't even bother. :roll: It's actually early
Yes, they said early, actually, my mistake.
SH Forums are fun to read, but for a while only. How people can get so angry and aggressive because they disagree on remixes is very impressive. The mood is much more pleasant here !
I bet conversation gets a bit vengeful at Abbey Road, man oh man!
This is the future folks. A lot of the music can teach us things and since The Beatles will be gone, we'll have to discuss things and maybe even ask Giles if he wants to join us! It's 'new' (and improved).
Thank you!
KC
Toetje2021

Post by Toetje2021 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 pm I too think She Loves You is from a disc. It is a bit distorted towards the end, and the tape version isn't.
Imo the best version of She loves you was on the Million Sellers Ep from the CD-box.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Toetje2021 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:59 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 pm I too think She Loves You is from a disc. It is a bit distorted towards the end, and the tape version isn't.
Imo the best version of She loves you was on the Million Sellers Ep from the CD-box.
I haven't heard ALL the masterings but that seems to be the less "futzed" with as Steve Hoffman would say.