Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
silvercup67

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by silvercup67 »

"If I needed someone" has been elevated to gorgeous
Best Beatle day of my life.. September 1st, 2019.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

chescowx wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:56 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:38 pm There is a key word in these discussions…”team”…there are definitely way too many people involved in the remixes…and what we end up getting are so many inconsistencies between songs. Too many hands in the pot here…and everyone is mixing so it’ll sound “good” on earbuds or phone speakers.

Has anyone listened to I Saw Her Standing There?? It sounds like an AM radio and the drums are so loud that one would think that the rest of the Beatles were sidemen to Ringo…

I get it…people have different tastes and hear things differently…but these are the worst of the remixes up til now in my non-professional opinion. There are ZERO “go-to” mixes here
Could not disagree more! These are now the only go to mixes of these classics in my also non-professional opinion!
My point exactly….
lordsnooty

Post by lordsnooty »

Phil_Lip wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:00 am Is 'She Loves You' mastered from a single?
It definitely lacks fidelity and I'm sure there is inner edge distortion towards the end.
Oh yeah, I hear it too. Distortion on the backing vocals is a dead giveaway.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

lordsnooty wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:21 pm
Phil_Lip wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:00 am Is 'She Loves You' mastered from a single?
It definitely lacks fidelity and I'm sure there is inner edge distortion towards the end.
Oh yeah, I hear it too. Distortion on the backing vocals is a dead giveaway.
I believe that’s being caused by the use of digital reverb…the wrong reverb actually
lordsnooty

Post by lordsnooty »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:31 pm I believe that’s being caused by the use of digital reverb…the wrong reverb actually
Believe whatever you like, I used to get this distortion while transferring moderately-worn vinyl with an elliptical stylus until I switched to an Audio-Technica microline stylus.
BeatleDan

Post by BeatleDan »

the new Red album vinyl arived this morning and my initial thoughts are:

Why is Ringo wearing boxing gloves and why is he repeatedly punching me in the head whilst I'm trying to listen to We Can Work It Out and Day Tripper?

I didn't realise Nowhere Man was recorded in the mid seventies?

Is the recording of I Saw Her Standing There an audio account of the first time any of the Beatles had met each other?

Help! sounds squished.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:31 pm I believe that’s being caused by the use of digital reverb…the wrong reverb actually
I never believed Dave Dexter, Jr. was a real person...the name sounds ARTIFICIAL!
KC
beckman99

Post by beckman99 »

Help67 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:28 pm If I Need Is Someone, I'm Only Sleepin, This Boy and Oh Darling are borderline.
We don't have to please anyone, we have to be honest and put only the best. By the same token, they should have included Ringo's Don't Pass My By to make him a little bit happier...
I'm just saying that they're no longer the red and blue albums, they're something else.
imo if I needed is one of the best songs from rubber soul. with the rest I agree with you.

the main thing bout remixing is, keeping the old vibe. something giles unfortunately didn´t accomplish. she loves you has lost a lot. in earlier days I couldn´t understand why george martin left these songs in mono, now I know.
CultTVman

Post by CultTVman »

I've been listening to the new mixes on Breakfast with the Beatles this morning, as my CDs are still on the way. The new mixes are pure joy. The instrumentation has more punch. The clarity is amazing. I've said it before, Giles mixes are revealing. It's like they cleaned the windows and we can see everything. The sound field is opened up. The music feels vibrant and alive. Given some of the criticism of I am the Walrus, I listened, expecting disappointment. But I loved the chaos and cacophony, and I think it reflects the sound Lennon tried to capture. I've been listening to the Beatles for 50+ years and, to these old ears, they have never sounded better.

I complained for years about how muffled the LPs and CDs sounded. I hated the snap, crackle, pop of vinyl. I sought out the British pressings, which were always better than the US albums. The German MMT LP was mind blowing. The first CDs were mono disappointments. Pepper on CD was a sonic blessing, but these were the best releases for the time. Loved the Yellow Sub songtrack remixes. I really appreciated the 2009 remasters, but the Giles remixes top everything.

The Red and Blue package is far better than I ever expected. Now and Then brings me more happiness every time I hear it.

For what its worth...

Steve
BeatleDan

Post by BeatleDan »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:11 pm It's good that they included more songs, but the way they've shortchanged the early albums shows that their belief is that younger audiences will not like the early stuff as much.

I think the early stuff sounded dated in the 70s and 80s but nowadays ALL of it is dated so it doesn't matter. Modern music sounds nothing like anything on R&B so there are no negative comparisons. In the 70s, people laughed at the early stuff because they were comparing it to hard rock, and in the 80s comparing it to new wave and synth pop. But now now Rock Is Dead so all bets are off. The early Beatles sound as alien as the late Beatles. There is no difference.
Rock is only Dead as far as chart music and Radio One are concerned. There are mountains of bands around the world making amazing guitar music, Phsychedelic, garage rock, rock n roll, blues, folk rock....all sorts of briliant exciting stuff. Check out Bandcamp, read Mojo magazine, go on https://aquariumdrunkard.com/ or any number of fantastic websites or radio Stations like 6music, WFMU or Radio K. The Beatles are hugely important and influential to those band and their fans. Taylor Swift/Robbie Williams/Michael Jackson/Telly Savalas - there is always going to be a huge money backed superstars that grab the headlines. People compare The beatles to those acts but only in size and sales - When it comes down the music - and its all about the music - you just have to look a little further underground to hear those acts who deserve genuine comparison