Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by Kwai Chang »

cliftdean74 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:15 pm I’m apparently the only person who hasn’t heard the new red and blue yet.
NO!
I'm never listening to them.
It would only make me want to comment!
And Giles would still be doing exactly what he's paid to do.
But guess what I didn't hear from ANYBODY: You'll love the next ones!
Thank you, cliftdean74!
KC
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

TheAntManBee wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:57 pm "I Am The Walrus" remix was pretty strange too, I lost my hope of any proper stereo mix of this song. Why Giles Martin decided it was a good idea to recreate that awful fake stereo effect?

On the other hand, the other MMT tracks are quite nice.
I agree with you, we will never have a proper Stereo mix of “I Am The Walrus”
I thought this time we would have an interesting mix of this song on this new release.
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

TheAntManBee wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:46 pm Really disappointed with some of these mixes, the community here certainly did a much better job.
Agreed... even in Hi-Res it's not very impressive

Sad we get this rehash instead of some kind of Rubber Soul box or Some Time In New York City or London Town or Back To The Egg or Ringo box or Living In The Material World.
Tex

Post by Tex »

The new Giles version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" actually sounds pretty dang good there's no wonkiness just a nice punch and balance like the mono mix although not as bright sounding. This one is a keeper. Funnily enough I was working on my own spectral mix using the original stereo mix and went to see what Giles did and both are close to each other. The EQ of the original stereo mix was atrocious.

The only difference is that the Giles version has bit of reverb on the drums to make it stand out a bit more and it does. His is also a tiny bit flatter sounding which seems to be a conscious choice in these new mixes. Maybe they think a flatter less hi-fi sound equates to "vintage" and that would placate the socks & sandals purists. :roll:

Anyways here is mine: (subject to future tweaks). I should have did this years ago. I decided to add a tiny amount of reverb on the drums like Giles but it's so subtle you can't tell. hxxps://we.tl/t-sy85eZWRUn

It's funny how his "I Want To Hold Your Hand" directly follows "She Loves You" which is a sonic disaster.

"You Can't Do That" and "Eight Days A Week" also have noticeable extra reverb on the drums. I personally don't like the mixing choice but some may like it. The Hoffman Beatards will be wetting themselves I'm sure. They devour any red meat thrown their way even if it's half rotted. :lol:
Last edited by Tex on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Am The Walrus

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:14 am The new Giles version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" actually sounds pretty dang good there's no wonkiness just a nice punch and balance like the mono mix although not as bright sounding. This one is a keeper. Funnily enough I was working on my own spectral mix using the original stereo mix and went to see what Giles did and both are close to each other. The EQ of the original stereo mix was atrocious.

The only difference is that the Giles version has bit of reverb on the drums to make it stand out a bit more and it does. His is also a tiny bit flatter sounding which seems to be a conscious choice in these new mixes. Maybe they think a flatter less hi-fi sound equates to "vintage" and that would placate the socks & sandals purists. :roll:

Anyways here is mine: (subject to future tweaks). I should have did this years ago. I decided to add a tiny amount of reverb on the drums like Giles but it's so subtle you can't tell. hxxps://we.tl/t-sy85eZWRUn
Your remix is great, thank you very much for sharing.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I just listened to "Old Brown Shoe" it's an absolute train wreck because there's unmusical background yelling during and after the guitar solo which RUINS the track. It's annoying as the drunk person singing along at a concert. There's a little bit extra guitar strumming in the fade but it's not worth adding to the mix. My system is not reference but it sure seems the bass is too damn loud. Unbelievable this so-called mix was released :evil:
I Am The Walrus

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:59 am I just listened to "Old Brown Shoe" it's an absolute train wreck because there's unmusical background yelling during and after the guitar solo which RUINS the track. It's annoying as the drunk person singing along at a concert. There's a little bit extra guitar strumming in the fade but it's not worth adding to the mix. My system is not reference but it sure seems the bass is too damn loud. Unbelievable this so-called mix was released :evil:
Engonoceras,
What did you think of the new mix that was made for Eleonor Rigby?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:59 am I just listened to "Old Brown Shoe" it's an absolute train wreck because there's unmusical background yelling during and after the guitar solo which RUINS the track. It's annoying as the drunk person singing along at a concert. There's a little bit extra guitar strumming in the fade but it's not worth adding to the mix. My system is not reference but it sure seems the bass is too damn loud. Unbelievable this so-called mix was released :evil:
I’m glad someone out there agrees with me!
Tex

Post by Tex »

I Am The Walrus wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:23 am Engonoceras,
I don't hear any difference. Is it supposed to be different than the Deluxe Edition mix?

All those "Revolver" DE mixes would be better if they weren't extra compressed and over-EQ'd. Seems like a mastering thing not a mixing thing. The sound is too consistent which rules out Giles doing it :lol: .
Last edited by Tex on Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Am The Walrus

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:53 am
I Am The Walrus wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:23 am Engonoceras,
I don't hear any difference. Is it supposed to be different than the Deluxe Edition mix?

All those "Revolver" DE mixes would be fine if they weren't so compressed and over-EQ'd. Seems like a mastering thing not a mixing thing. The sound is too consistent which rules out Giles doing it :lol: .
I only noticed that this remix has the strings separated on both channels, I don't know if I'm wrong.