Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
alphabeatles

Re: Now And Then (merged threads)

Post by alphabeatles »

I'm still wondering if he's singing to Yoko or May. Probably not Paul!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:54 pm I'm still wondering if he's singing to Yoko or May. Probably not Paul!
Stuart!
Paul needs to buy Stu's Hofner and give it to...
(himself)
That was deeper than anyone wants to say!
But, it's true!
KC
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:20 pm I think Paul was right to chop that part. It would have made the song too gloomy. Also listening to the demo again, John's singing is very iffy on that part.
I second that.

I love that part, and I keep singing it in my head, although it's not in the track. But one of the remixes that included it showed that John's not really singing it - more sketching it out. I would have loved a better performance to be put in there somewhere, but that wasn't what he was doing, so all we have is what's on the tape.
TheAntManBee

Post by TheAntManBee »

sunnylew wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:29 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:20 pm I think Paul was right to chop that part. It would have made the song too gloomy. Also listening to the demo again, John's singing is very iffy on that part.
I second that.

I love that part, and I keep singing it in my head, although it's not in the track. But one of the remixes that included it showed that John's not really singing it - more sketching it out. I would have loved a better performance to be put in there somewhere, but that wasn't what he was doing, so all we have is what's on the tape.
I've seen a lot of people complaining about this. I was very satisfied that Paul removed it since I always thought it was the weakest part of the song. I could never picture The Beatles doing that part, especially because some of the lyrics are very solo Lennon. There's even some evidence that suggest that they would remove this section back in 1995 if you look at Jeff Lynne's lyric sheet.

The demo was available for so many decades, so people ended up creating very high expectations of it. The fan-made mixes didn't help matters, though I never really like some of those. Some people forget that a demo it's just a work-in-progress and lot of ideas end being discarded. That bridge might've been interesting melodically, but I think it drags the song down and meanders a bit at the end. Sometimes, less is more.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:54 pm I'm still wondering if he's singing to Yoko or May. Probably not Paul!
Yeah, i don't think he was in the habit of calling Paul "sweet darling". I mean, they were close, but not THAT close! :lol:

My guess is that it's about his mother/Yoko.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
silvercup67

Post by silvercup67 »

I wonder what will be done, if anything, with the rest of the demos that John left behind now that MAL technology is about to produce a global hit single.

Certainty, another "Beatles" single is off the table, but how about a new "Lennon" album?
Best Beatle day of my life.. September 1st, 2019.
jpgrjd

Post by jpgrjd »

Marble single is back in stock at beatles store
beckman99

Post by beckman99 »

exactly what I said one or two weeks ago, they have to kick that part out. glad paul listenend to me :) .
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

silvercup67 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:20 pm I wonder what will be done, if anything, with the rest of the demos that John left behind now that MAL technology is about to produce a global hit single.

Certainty, another "Beatles" single is off the table, but how about a new "Lennon" album?
I'd like to think Sean would be up for doing a new album with his dad, possibly doing backing vocals or helping bolster some of the lead ones, along with playing instruments, certainly. Maybe get Julian on board as well (imagine the son who wrote "Help Yourself" playing on "Help Me To Help Myself"!! Could be a nice opportunity to finally get Paul playing on a solo Lennon album, too. I doubt he'd say no! (And with the higher quality demos that George has, maybe Dhani can put out a new solo album for him too, should he be inclined.)
snrub

Post by snrub »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:21 am
Yeah, i don't think he was in the habit of calling Paul "sweet darling". I mean, they were close, but not THAT close! :lol:

My guess is that it's about his mother/Yoko.
Or was he perhaps answering Paul's "whoa sweet darling, what a mess I'm in!" ;)