Red & Blue Albums

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Rickenbacker325

Re: Red & Blue Albums

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:36 am Please let us know what you think of them!

According to one guy they are very brickwalled. But that's to be expected I guess.
They’re ridiculously brickwalled…I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…just because someone is the son of a man who knew what he was doing doesn’t mean that his son has a clue
Tex

Post by Tex »

Do we know if they actually sound excessively brick walled or is this just from looking at the wav file. You can have lots of chopped peaks but that not the same as excessively brick walled.

Do they sound horribly compressed? I would assume they are given eveything MashupMartin has touched. He's our Jon Astley.

They will pry the original CDs from my cold dead hands.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Heard the discs. They sound amazing...

Also, a LOOK at the waveforms says NO, they are NOT brickwalled. LOUD, but not brickwalled.
Bear in mind there are software CD rippers out there in the wild that do WEIRD things... very little other then Exact Audio Copy should be trusted.
Tex

Post by Tex »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:50 pm Heard the discs. They sound amazing...

Also, a LOOK at the waveforms says NO, they are NOT brickwalled.
More details about the newest remixes please.

Waveform reviews are what they do at Hoffman.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:05 pm
FestVideoRoom wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:50 pm Heard the discs. They sound amazing...

Also, a LOOK at the waveforms says NO, they are NOT brickwalled.
More details about the newest remixes please.

Waveform reviews are what they do at Hoffman.
OK... Some standouts if not the old-time Shorten Reportin' review:

Eight Days a Week: holy HANNAH does Ringo ever bash that kit. Never quite heard THAT before.
Yesterday: no more squeaking door! LOL Nice stereo spread on the strings
Nowhere Man: better stereo vocals spread than Songtrack
Girl: Lennon's voice... holy hells... so PRESENT
Magical Mystery Tour: rhythm guitar line in the right channel I have NEVER heard before (me, of all people)
Fool on the Hill: a hair longer than usual with an extra flourish of recorder/flute/whatever the heck it really was
I Am the Walrus: not a huge fan of how loud and overdone the radio fiddling gets at the end. This is my major disappointment here, but I've no doubt it can be fixed with the forthcoming Atmos stems
Old Brown Shoe: a VERY different mix but exciting and hey, nobody is exactly going to destroy the 80 bajillion copies of the original one...

Overall, the POWER of these guys comes through... Lennon's rhythm guitar just SHREDS all over the place. Turn these suckers up LOUD.

S.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Hmmm, I never listened to the originals (LPs) as I heard it was Klein's crappy rush job and had all the originals anyway. But, I'm anxious to hear these reissues. Giles said his most groundbreaking work was to be found here in the earlier songs.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Gringo557 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:32 pm Hmmm, I never listened to the originals (LPs) as I heard it was Klein's crappy rush job and had all the originals anyway. But, I'm anxious to hear these reissues. Giles said his most groundbreaking work was to be found here in the earlier songs.
Bear in mind that the original LPs/tapes were actually created by techs at Parlophone and Capitol SEPARATELY and INDEPENDENTLY of each other resulting in very different releases in the UK and the US. The US release was made from existing Capitol masters which is why that version has several songs in mono, the James Bond theme mistakenly left on prior to Help! and some other oddities (the US Mystery Tour LP and US Blue album are the only places to get the original 1967 stereo mix of Strawberry Fields Forever to this day).

Taken in THAT regard, there really is NO "DEFINITIVE" version of these compilations other than the one you like the best. :)
Tex

Post by Tex »

I'm eager to hear the new mixes but I'm worried I'm gonna hear Giles more than the Beatles.

I don't want to hear the production tricks.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Maccawings wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:41 pm Today, got an email from a friend that a store in NY had the new Red & Blue on the shelves early. Drove and hour and change each way and was able to get the two cd sets
Rip it?
chescowx

Post by chescowx »

How is She Loves You in stereo??