Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
silvercup67

Re: Now And Then (merged threads)

Post by silvercup67 »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:10 pm
silvercup67 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:52 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:22 pm
Beatlemania in the US all over again!!!!!
I think this is Britain..
Be that as it may, don’t count the US out. We’re not all Swifties.
Britain still bases it's charts, correctly, on sales. The US has other factors.
That said, I hope that it is number 1 everywhere. Which means a new issue of "1" and 1+
Best Beatle day of my life.. September 1st, 2019.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

silvercup67 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 pm Which means a new issue of "1" and 1+
For 1 track? Hardly!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
ExDalek

Post by ExDalek »

The UK chart is based on physical sales, downloads and streaming.
“I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course, I don’t really remember yesterday all that well.”
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ExDalek wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:36 pm The UK chart is based on physical sales, downloads and streaming.
Yes, physical sales, downloads, audio streams and video streams. 600 free streams = 1 sale. 100 paid streams = 1 sale.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

WilliamShears wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:58 pm The video has a ton of cool stuff going on, but IMO a ton of corny stuff that takes away from it. Gawd why is Ringo wearing his own swag?! (Yes I know it’s a very Ringo thing to do). I thought the modern orchestra session was out of place when they could have filled it with more retro footage. Footage of George and Paul playing together was worth everything corny that came after. Paul really looked like he was on a personal mission here to do things right and that was great to see - and it shows in the outcome.
Ok, this video has grown on me. I get it. It’s a well done companion piece to the song and also seems to be being appreciated by those who aren’t trying to dissect every frame for unseen footage. This song is such a gift.
TheAntManBee

Post by TheAntManBee »

My initial reaction to the song was rather indifferent, but very respectful, not amazing but a fitting coda to The Beatles. But after giving a few more spins now, I'm starting to like it so much more. I think I just needed to get used to it :D ; it's superb, maybe one of their best songs!

I still don't like the video though...

EDIT: I was surprised to see the news of NaT jumping up to number 1 at the charts. I was a bit skeptical that the song would do well on the charts. 60 plus years later and The Fab Four still breaking records. I mean, how amazing is that?!
Onkster II

Post by Onkster II »

I’ll chime in at last.

I really love this record, and it’s stunning that what started out as a gloomy, tentative demo now feels like a brand new track. I love the video as well, reminding us that the Beatles had a fun side to them, giving a lift to the melancholy of the song.

Knowing how it won’t be much longer that we’ll have the remaining two with us—and that the rest of us won’t be around forever too—I’m thankful to have this song and video around. It isn’t perfect—which is fine—and neither are we. I’m simply going to enjoy it and let it brighten my days.
silvercup67

Post by silvercup67 »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:34 pm
silvercup67 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 pm Which means a new issue of "1" and 1+
For 1 track? Hardly!
Not just for one song. There have been new Beatles videos issued since the release and every audio track has been upgraded.
Apple is never one to miss out on a buck!
silvercup67

Post by silvercup67 »

TheAntManBee wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:01 am My initial reaction to the song was rather indifferent, but very respectful, not amazing but a fitting coda to The Beatles. But after giving a few more spins now, I'm starting to like it so much more. I think I just needed to get used to it :D ; it's superb, maybe one of their best songs!

I still don't like the video though...

EDIT: I was surprised to see the news of NaT jumping up to number 1 at the charts. I was a bit skeptical that the song would do well on the charts. 60 plus years later and The Fab Four still breaking records. I mean, how amazing is that?!
The Beatles gave us fans an amazing postscript.
This fan, says "Thank you".
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I think Paul was right to chop that part. It would have made the song too gloomy. Also listening to the demo again, John's singing is very iffy on that part.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene