Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
harrylime

Re: Now And Then (merged threads)

Post by harrylime »

Fun 4 None wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:33 pm I thought the music video was a sweet idea but the execution was poor. If I was doing the video I would've heavily toned down the grain removal on the archival clips and I also wouldn't have done fake AI Beatle footage.
Is it fake though? Isn't it just using cut outs from the original footage?

Edit:
Now when rewatching the FAAB and RL video's I just realised it's simply a copy of the latter's theme, also using archival Beatles footage mixed with the Threetles sessions, even featuring black and white footage of a bow at the end (just from a different performance).
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Nice release - glad they were finally able to complete this.
They should reissue Anthology Vol.3 and add it as the 1st track, like 1 and 2,,,,LOLOL
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

harrylime wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:36 pm
Fun 4 None wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:33 pm I thought the music video was a sweet idea but the execution was poor. If I was doing the video I would've heavily toned down the grain removal on the archival clips and I also wouldn't have done fake AI Beatle footage.
Is it fake though? Isn't it just using cut outs from the original footage?

Edit:
Now when rewatching the FAAB and RL video's I just realised it's simply a copy of the latter's theme, also using archival Beatles footage mixed with the Threetles sessions, even featuring black and white footage of a bow at the end (just from a different performance).
There's multiple fake clips (one of which is George on the balcony)
KitsuHitsuyy

Post by KitsuHitsuyy »

plasticsoul wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:50 pm Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere here but there's a Beatle night on BBC2 tomorrow night in the UK, including a "Beatles at the BBC" special at 08:30pm. It states that it will include She Loves You and All You Need Is Love. I hope it's a remastered Our World.. I assume it will include promo/solo videos as there's not many actual Beatles performances in the BBC vault.. We shall see...
Oh, yes! The McCartney at BBC special from last year had tons of great upgraded footage, hope it’s the same
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitsuBeatles/
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaCPu9VrsY

Saw Paul on November 30th, 2023 at the Mané Garrincha Stadium, Brasília, Brazil!
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thanks!!
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

quigatolah wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:42 pm
robbmacc wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:11 pm
My only beef is that 'Now and Then' definitely shouldn't be added to 1966-1970. In my now-digital collection, it will be an EP with 'Free As A Bird,' 'Real Love,' 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (LOVE version, which I consider a new-at-the-time Beatles song as The Powers That Be allowed George Martin to add a new score to the demo), and 'Now and Then.'
Sorry, but who cares?

My tank is topped off and running down the sides with people complaining about the new release.
It seems that so many would be happier if the catalog was sealed in 1969 and "that's that"
If you don't like it, don't listen and don't buy. Go find a hobby you enjoy instead of coming
and pissing all over the place. I think there may yet be a few folks here who just want to be happy listening to the Beatles.
Wow. Don't think that was called for. I said NOTHING bad about the song, but had one small opinion about it not belonging on the blue album, and mentioned how I've filed the four post-Fab years' songs.

In addition, I waxed philosophic concerning the recent release by the Stones, and the last Who album, and indicated I was looking forward to the Fabs' video, which I predicted would be as good as FAAB.

Please chill out.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:06 pm To me the whole point of the song is that it is a way for the Beatles to say farewell to each other, and it is a triumph over the dickhead who took John away from us. It's also a way for The Beatles to say thanks to all their fans. It's more than a song, it's a celebration of family and that includes not just the four Beatles but all the rest of us too. I can understand some people not wanting to be part of it, but there you go.
Well, this is the most beautiful statement I have read about this song and I thought it was your own feelings about this song until I saw the videos.
I like the start with the K7, John is not there, they are not faking - the is is the harsh and cruel reality : they are recording over a K7 demo; there is are some great video footage from the Threetles original sessions (it looks like it's really the Now And Then footage since George plays some rhythm guitar here); then, like Stevie Riks [/b]funny impersonation I used to watch on youtube like almost 15 years now - perhaps even more (time has passed so quickly)
This is a great counterbalance with the "cruel but fair" start of the song; like the funny multi-appearance Paul used to do so well and so funny in his video-clip "Coming Up" comes to my mind.
I think that what they have done here is great - it's like if the Beatles have their own avatar and own "virtual" or dream life.
And then like the end of A Day In The Life (but it works great with M.Giles clever arrangement for the strings and orchestra) all of this kind of vanish into a vortex.
Sob.

The best Xmas song is probably Harry Nilsson "Snow" outtake from his "Nilsson Sings Newman" album- it's kind of strange how the lyrics can match with the "Now And The Feeling" (too bad that Randy never sung this song) (1970 IMHO one of the best album of covers ever, along with Laura Nyro's "It's Gonna Take A Miracle) - and Nilsson planned initially do to a whole album covers of songs by Laura Nyro).

And like the end of Nicolas Roeg's "Walkabout"; A.E.Housman poem :

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

well, each time you play a Beatles record, it comes again.
Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

Interesting tidbit here for me was when I played the song without the video to my one of my three kids (11, 15 and 16 years) who showed some interest, keeping in mind all three had have been hearing the Beatles since birth and can identify almost every song by the first several notes. She, the 15 year old, listened to the song without the video yesterday and liked it but was not overwhelmed. Tonight she saw the video and was brought to tears. She said she felt like even tho John was mainly singing, Paul and Ringo were dedicating the song to John and George. It was touching.
This was the same kid that about 2 or 3 saw a Let It Be poster in Applebee's and yelled it's the Beatles! While I did not even see the poster until after she saw it.
Petsounds1966x

Post by Petsounds1966x »

Fun 4 None wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:33 pm There's multiple fake clips (one of which is George on the balcony)
That clip is actually real, just “restored” so poorly that it looks like AI. I thought it was fake too at first!

Other than that and the animated photos at the end, I loved it. Made me smile and hit me right in the heart. Thank you Beatles!
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Petsounds1966x wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:31 am
Fun 4 None wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:33 pm There's multiple fake clips (one of which is George on the balcony)
That clip is actually real, just “restored” so poorly that it looks like AI. I thought it was fake too at first!

Other than that and the animated photos at the end, I loved it. Made me smile and hit me right in the heart. Thank you Beatles!
I loved the end of the video with succession of younger and younger photos. Wish we got a bit more from that 14 hours of 90s recording sessions.