Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Rickenbacker325

Re: Now And Then (merged threads)

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

AdamBound wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:03 pm Using the Now and Then promotion and the original Real Love videos, I have compiled all the available Threetles footage from January/February 1995. I hope you enjoy!
I can’t speak for anyone else but a big part of me would rather have had 4 minutes of this footage for the video…

Thanks very much!
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

For all those fans (and there are many) who were disappointed by the front cover of the sleeve for the “Now and Then” single, created by acclaimed American graphic artist Ed Ruscha, perhaps you’ll find the back side of the cover more satisfying.

It’s a clock featuring the words “Now and Then.” According to a post on Twitter that appears to show a portion of the sleeve notes, the piece of art was created by another American artist, Chris Griffin, which was bought by George Harrison in 1997 from a shop in Providence, RI and kept for years in the home he shared with his wife Olivia.

Last year, apparently, Olivia decided to have a closer look at the clock. “I put it on the mantelpiece,” she recalled. “Then the phone rang. It’s Paul, and he begins to remind me of this third song with ‘Real Love’ and ‘Free As a Bird.’ I said, ‘I remember it.’ He said, ‘It’s called “Now and Then.”’ I’m standing there with the phone in one hand, looking at the clock that said Now and Then. I was sort of dumbfounded. I said, ‘I think this is George saying it’s OK.’
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

plasticsoul wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:50 pm Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere here but there's a Beatle night on BBC2 tomorrow night in the UK, including a "Beatles at the BBC" special at 08:30pm. It states that it will include She Loves You and All You Need Is Love. I hope it's a remastered Our World.. I assume it will include promo/solo videos as there's not many actual Beatles performances in the BBC vault.. We shall see...
Will you be recording it?
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Wogew wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:59 pm For all those fans (and there are many) who were disappointed by the front cover of the sleeve for the “Now and Then” single, created by acclaimed American graphic artist Ed Ruscha, perhaps you’ll find the back side of the cover more satisfying.

It’s a clock featuring the words “Now and Then.” According to a post on Twitter that appears to show a portion of the sleeve notes, the piece of art was created by another American artist, Chris Griffin, which was bought by George Harrison in 1997 from a shop in Providence, RI and kept for years in the home he shared with his wife Olivia.

Last year, apparently, Olivia decided to have a closer look at the clock. “I put it on the mantelpiece,” she recalled. “Then the phone rang. It’s Paul, and he begins to remind me of this third song with ‘Real Love’ and ‘Free As a Bird.’ I said, ‘I remember it.’ He said, ‘It’s called “Now and Then.”’ I’m standing there with the phone in one hand, looking at the clock that said Now and Then. I was sort of dumbfounded. I said, ‘I think this is George saying it’s OK.’
I love that story. Thank you for sharing it here. There's nothing like a bit of serendipity! The back cover should have been the front.
plasticsoul

Post by plasticsoul »

Fun 4 None wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:12 pm
plasticsoul wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:50 pm Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere here but there's a Beatle night on BBC2 tomorrow night in the UK, including a "Beatles at the BBC" special at 08:30pm. It states that it will include She Loves You and All You Need Is Love. I hope it's a remastered Our World.. I assume it will include promo/solo videos as there's not many actual Beatles performances in the BBC vault.. We shall see...
Will you be recording it?
If it's on the BBC iPlayer, then I should be able to grab it with JDownloader..
Le petit prince

Post by Le petit prince »

AdamBound wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:03 pm Using the Now and Then promotion and the original Real Love videos, I have compiled all the available Threetles footage from January/February 1995. I hope you enjoy!
Thank you very much!

P.S.: Oh, and there's a Sony PCM-7010 (or -7030) DAT recorder sitting left to Paul's shoulder ... :)
TheAntManBee

Post by TheAntManBee »

Coming from someone that liked the song, I was very disappointed with the music video. It looked so corny and cheap, like a bad fanmade video, hardly something I would expect from a pro like Peter Jackson.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

The launch of the video on YouTube was accompanied by an introduction by Paul that isn’t there anymore. I hope someone managed to capture it somehow.

Edit: ah here it is. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7765&p=114562#p114562
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I posted some thoughts on Twitter this morning that I hope you will indulge me in repeating here, mostly because I like a lot of you all and don’t mind expressing some emotion here.

———

Some thoughts on the Now and Then video. In a few spots I thought the production choices were a bit amateur and looked like a fan made them in the 90's. But that’s the only thing I can criticize. Maybe I just have a really wide berth for all things Beatles as I get old.

But overall I thought it was funny, poignant and marvelous. I’m not a good critic though because I really don't have much room in my heart anymore to be critical, especially with the Beatles. My lifelong emotional connection is pretty fierce.

They came into my life largely with the help of my big sister Julia, who gave me my first proper Beatles album, my first interview album (Beatles Tapes) and my first book (Illustrated Record). The Beatles would from that point play a big part in my life.

They have been my support network through so much. Dad dying not long after I became a fan, he passed when I was 17. Without that music I would have been completely lost. When my sister died in '21 I realized that she had given me the support I would need to survive the overwhelming grief at losing her.

They've always been there for me for 40 years. Criticizing choices they make feels counterproductive. It’s like criticizing my happiness. I've been going through a rough patch since Julia died. Her gift to me keeps me going. She’s have loved Now and Then.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

I thought the music video was a sweet idea but the execution was poor. If I was doing the video I would've heavily toned down the grain removal on the archival clips and I also wouldn't have done fake AI Beatle footage.