Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Bazilnerk

Re: Now And Then (merged threads)

Post by Bazilnerk »

plasticsoul wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:25 pm What are people's initial thoughts on the stereo Love Me Do..??
I wasn't wild about the extra reverb, but then I listened to the original Mono and the Ringo version does have more reverb than the Andy White version and if I sum the stereo to mono then it is quite similar (although slightly dryer vocals on the original). Stereo gives you a different perception of space so it's actually not as much as I originally thought, but would still prefer it backed off a tad. The Bass - It's loud on the original anyway, so I can live with that. I'm sure they could have separated the guitars and drums, but the problem is that this recording is very simple. 1acoustic a bass, drums vocals & harmonica, so not a lot to play with. Putting the drums and bass in the centre would have left just an acoustic, harmonica and vocal that could be panned elsewhere. All in all a good effort despite the reverb. I like it more on further listening. It grows on you, but then I've always preferred the Andy White version anyway (The Tambourine adds colour and the bass is lower in the mix and more in tune!)

Wonder if it's Andy whit on the album?
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

Yeah - they did a good job. Separating John's vocal, creating nice vocal harmonies, nice rimshot on Ringo's drums, nice solo from late George.
But Now and Then I miss the bridge of the original song.
Why they nixed that part ("I don't want to lose you") is a bit of a mystery to me.
To make the song less "down"? Really?
RaelBass

Post by RaelBass »

I totally agree with George: Now and then is f*cking rubbish. All is wrong, sound, production, voices, guitars...
MARVINMARTIN

Post by MARVINMARTIN »

EXCELLENT...OF THE THREE THE ONE THAT SOUNDS MOST LIKE THE BEATLES TO ME...WALRUS IMPROVED...AND THE PRODUCTION IS SUPERB!!!
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Nice touch

I feel I'm caught up in something wonderful!
Last edited by Phil_Lip on Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
beckman99

Post by beckman99 »

funny how different we all see the endproduct :) .

I think its pretty weak, completely falls apart and definitely the weakest of the last three songs. has the most beautifull melodie but ended in the worst result. even the version posted a couple of days ago from youtube beats this version. anyway, the beatles ended in 1970.
jpgrjd

Post by jpgrjd »

I like them both and to me that is all that matters. Having been listening for 61 years it is always nice to have something new.

I find Now and Then very haunting, reminds me of waking up on that December morning to the news he had been shot!!

Love Me Do makes the original basic track sound much more modern.

Just my opinion.
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Anybody that thinks George Harrison listened to his dead friend's song and said it was garbage doesn't know anything about George Harrison.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

twogurusindrag wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:46 pm Anybody that thinks George Harrison listened to his dead friend's song and said it was garbage doesn't know anything about George Harrison.
Well it was Paul who made that claim so you'd have to take it up with him.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Fun 4 None wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:50 pm
twogurusindrag wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:46 pm Anybody that thinks George Harrison listened to his dead friend's song and said it was garbage doesn't know anything about George Harrison.
Well it was Paul who made that claim so you'd have to take it up with him.
Words become twisted with time. George could've just been referring to the hum and the state of the recording, rather than the song or John's singing.