Counting down!!!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Choking Smoker

Re: Counting down!!!

Post by Choking Smoker »

In all honesty I'm not too bothered. I'm another one who never really like Free as a Bird or Real Love or even the concept behind them. I did think that the FAAB video was cool though but in my mind it wasn't The Beatles.

As for Now and Then? Well we've got a pretty good John Lennon demo that all of us on this forum are already familiar with with bits flown in from other Beatles at various times and locations. If it's great then I'll give it the credit it deserves for that but I won't think of it as The Beatles and more than I think of Band On the Run being The Beatles.

Now here's the funny part. I'd love to see 'The Beatles' back at number 1 and would enjoy the unified sense of vindication that many Beatle fans would feel if it happened. In short I'd enjoy the fact that the general public fell for 'Beatles' spiel even if I didn't buy it myself lol.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

I liked Real Love and still play the 2015 version often. The group vocal at the end is beautiful.
Free As A Bird, not so much, mostly because of Paul's solo on the first bridge. (Sorry, Paul!)
I'm looking forward to the new track, but it won't make me feel like I'm 13 again, watching them in awe on the Ed Sullivan Show.
That ship has sailed...
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
danlego

Post by danlego »

Very exciting week, magical moment, a new Beatles song with a lot of remixs songs (Red & Blue) to come,
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I didn't like either FAAB or RL, but that was because of the obvious disconnect between John and the others. It did not sound like they were all there together. That should not be an issue with this song though, because the only thing from John is his vocal and I know that can be extracted cleanly and MAL could do a better job than I ever could so the song should sound like any other normal Beatles recording.

Also, the lyrical content of this song is much better suited to a "reunion". Whether John was singing about Julia, Yoko or Paul it doesn't matter because to all intents and purposes it's going to be about all four Beatles missing each other. Several people have said that when the others come in together on the "now and then, I miss you" it is impossible not to be moved. I think this record will win over even the most hard hearted of fans. Think of that White Album outtake of Goodnight where they all sing together, it's magic.

When I first heard Paul had worked on it I was worried because I thought it would ruin the intimacy of it. But they've done something clever in re-interpreting the lyrics to be about themselves. For that reason, I am certain it will work and that people will love it. And this is the last Beatles song, the last time we will all experience the magic of something new. That in itself is reason enough to be excited. Hey, we are HERE, at exactly the right time, and it'll never come again. We should enjoy it!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

danlego wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:24 am Very exciting week, magical moment, a new Beatles song with a lot of remixs songs (Red & Blue) to come,
Yeah, I'm less excited about the R&B because that's just another archive release, but I am interested to see what MAL has achieved with the early tracks particularly LMD and SLY.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ssane

Post by ssane »

Very excited about Now & Then, R&B and seeing Paul live on Wednesday night. What a week.
joguema

Post by joguema »

Choking Smoker wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:41 am .
Now here's the funny part. I'd love to see 'The Beatles' back at number 1 and would enjoy the unified sense of vindication that many Beatle fans would feel if it happened. In short I'd enjoy the fact that the general public fell for 'Beatles' spiel even if I didn't buy it myself lol.
I very well can imagine that the single reaches No. 1, because there still are so many Beatles fans who are crazy enough to buy ALL the various 7" and 12" in different colors for their collection.
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

I'm afraid I'm not overly hopeful although I will, of course, buy it.
I'm not a fan of the last 2 Threetles singles and don't really regard them as Beatles songs.
I suspect I will feel the same about Now and Then.
As for R & B, I can do without them, being old enough to have had all the original albums and singles and never having bought the R and B the first time round.
IfYouLookToYourLeft

Post by IfYouLookToYourLeft »

I am counting down until the green place somehow leaks it a day in advance. 😝
jpa

Post by jpa »

I am looking forward to hear the new official remixes on the Red album, especially what they have done to the Rubber Soul tracks. However, I am expecting that after one listen I will return to the remixes of the 1965 versions done by this forum as my preference.