Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: Upcoming Beatle Release

Post by Lord Reith »

When i saw LIB for the first time (on tv), I thought the only part of it that was truly professional was the studio performance. Those three songs are just perfect versions. Each of them are extraordinarily good for completely live takes, well up there with the best of their previous work created with many overdubs. This shows that their basic concept was sound - to rehearse the songs to perfection and then record them without overdubs. For some reason they never could get those other songs together in that way in the studio. They did on the rooftop, but the problem for me there is that they are mostly lightweight B songs. 909 is an ancient throwaway, IGAF is just a riff with a few meaningless lyrics shouted over the top, and DAP is a nice song but utterly inconsequential given what John was capable of. Don't Let Me Down comes in a winner despite being a fairly languid composition simply because of the sheer power and majesty of John's vocal. And Get Back, well, yeah a classic track but once again just an improvisation that was built up into an actual song.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that (for me) the best part of the whole 30 days was missing from Pete's film.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:00 am Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that (for me) the best part of the whole 30 days was missing from Pete's film.
Then MLH DID have the right means to the desired end. Why would it matter if he moves the 31st footage to before the 30th!
This was really the desired context. The only problem was that the rent a cop didn't know how to arrest four Beatles for disturbing
"all of the business in this area"! And, the mini...mini-skirt mob were quite conspicuous in their low numbers and wardrobe garments. But what Peter Jackson did was the exact opposite of what he said he would do. That is paraphrased on the back cover of the new Get Back book. Something about retelling the story without so much animated dramatizing. "They got on quite well. And we can see now that this wasn't negative at all"! So why did Jackson take the cream of the crop...The 31st footage...STATIONARY camera. NO Cuts! For Let It Be and Two Of Us and LWR...and waste it on correct Chronology which was under credits which roll after the rooftop. That footage is essential to underpin the rooftop performance. That footage is in the correct context even if not in chronological order. The basement performances succeed in Getting Back as much or more than the rooftop. That was the whole point of Getting Back. I am convinced that the building on Savile Row was purchased just to stage the end of the movie. So, why did Hogg think Let It Be would explain itself to the audience. He already knew the truth...that the real story(drugs) can't be revealed. Only George Harrison showing up in work-mode with tools(songs) and on time. And, we're in a sound stage from Magic Christian than is available for 2 weeks...free! This is chaos...welcome to the planet! I have seen Let It Be too many times for a movie I don't like. I don't think I saw much LIB footage in Get Back! That would be optimum. No overlap. So, MLH accomplished something...unwittingly, he kept the audience spellbound for 88 minutes...and NO coherent plot explained, known or prologued. But the finale played like a spontaneous event! Get Back, however ends like a real drug addict movie. The concert was months in the making...it went over without a hitch...and suddenly The Disciplined Beatles crawl from the ashes like the great Fenix! Are you kidding?
They all showed up to film something serious...the DAY AFTER the biggest rooftop event in history! It's circumstantial...but it sure looks unlike abstinence to me. That's what I call sacrifice!
The HAL9000 computer has suggested we install a 3rd director and see if he will work for free since the budget funds are depleted!
Let It Be needs a prologue and cleaned visuals. No new footage. Just tell us how this happened...and if the cast spent the night at Savile Row on the 30th?
Seems likely!
Jumper cables and smelling salts! (and, no aspirin).
No winner, either! Not enough 'retelling'!
KC
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:18 pm The only problem was that the rent a cop didn't know how to arrest four Beatles for disturbing "all of the business in this area"
Right - because there's no such offence. It's not a police matter.

When he was in the lobby at Apple he was threatening to start making arrests for breach of the peace, but that's a bluff. The breach of the peace laws mean 'peace' in the sense of peaceful, non-violent behaviour. They aren't about making noise, they are about threatening people or causing them some sort of fear.

It's a common misunderstanding and the police know that, so they use it as an empty threat. So far as I know, there was no law breaking going on - local businesses would have had to apply to the council for some sort of noise abatement order or something - but that's not a police issue.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Mr Bump wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:09 pm Right - because there's no such offence. It's not a police matter.

When he was in the lobby at Apple he was threatening to start making arrests for breach of the peace, but that's a bluff. The breach of the peace laws mean 'peace' in the sense of peaceful, non-violent behaviour. They aren't about making noise, they are about threatening people or causing them some sort of fear.

It's a common misunderstanding and the police know that, so they use it as an empty threat. So far as I know, there was no law breaking going on - local businesses would have had to apply to the council for some sort of noise abatement order or something - but that's not a police issue.
Do we know which structural load bearing supports were removed by Mardas?
Hey! Let's have the rooftop concert at night with Hell's Angels running security!
Thanks!
KC
Gredel21

Re: Now And Then - Penn Jillette Has Heard It

Post by Gredel21 »

But in Canada - the Beatles were already climbing up the charts - The Beatles LP was manufactured by Capital Canada prior to the US LP
with a similar cover but had quotes about Beatlemenia .
Im sure Lord Reith is right on the impact of the JFK Assassination which was felt worldwide not only in the US
But They would have still made quite an impact due to the press Capital records gave them.
Didnt everyone own a Beatle Wig at some point ( LR)
Montelimar

Post by Montelimar »

Re JFK and Beatlemania...

If anyone is unaware of Murder Most Foul, do yourself a favour... - The coup / murder of JFK is interwoven with popular music, Beatles et al by Bob Dylan. The song is as rich as a Persian carpet and twice as deep, to quote a phrase. "Slide down the banister" cf Guy Banister etc etc etc ad infinitum.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:00 pm I am interested in it to hear their demixing of the early tracks and also to hear if they did new MAL mixes of the later ones.

If their demix of She Loves You is not completely fantastic and free of all artefacts, then I am going to be extremely annoyed. Because it is an iconic Beatles recording and this version will probably become the default for future generations. So if we get another She Said She Said then that will be a black day for me. It's okay for fans to remix it and it not be A1 because we can always redo it as the tech improves. Apple only gets one chance. Don't screw it up!
What's wrong with the 2022 mix She Said She Said?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Patrick Healy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:04 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:00 pm I am interested in it to hear their demixing of the early tracks and also to hear if they did new MAL mixes of the later ones.

If their demix of She Loves You is not completely fantastic and free of all artefacts, then I am going to be extremely annoyed. Because it is an iconic Beatles recording and this version will probably become the default for future generations. So if we get another She Said She Said then that will be a black day for me. It's okay for fans to remix it and it not be A1 because we can always redo it as the tech improves. Apple only gets one chance. Don't screw it up!
What's wrong with the 2022 mix She Said She Said?
Well they turned a psychedelic song into something else. In my view a remix should not fundamentally change the feel of a song. I wouldn't want She Loves You to follow the same template, being less loud and forceful.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Montelimar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:28 pm Re JFK and Beatlemania...

If anyone is unaware of Murder Most Foul, do yourself a favour... - The coup / murder of JFK is interwoven with popular music, Beatles et al by Bob Dylan. The song is as rich as a Persian carpet and twice as deep, to quote a phrase. "Slide down the banister" cf Guy Banister etc etc etc ad infinitum.
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

"The new Beatles release should have been out already." - Ringo Starr
https://apnews.com/video/0000018ad947d0 ... d766080000