New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
zappaf78

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by zappaf78 »

I was told that the pitch was 43 cents slow at the beginning and eventually drifts to 93 cents towards the end. ( A 1% speed change is equal to approximately 18 cents) So 2.4% slow is agreed to start but it apparently isn't constant to the end.

The guy who determined that is a bit of a pitch correction guru and he posted his version at Dimeadozen:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=758005
Thank you for pointing to the speed corrected torrent! I was busy getting some Max Webster concerts, I did not realize that the Stowe gig was being shared, you don't usually get any Beatles material at Dime.
rhino

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by rhino »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n1lr

I don't know if has been shared here yet. It's a link to a BBC Program talking about The Stowe Recording. It turns out The Beatles apparently had dinner at a local person's house after their show and a tape recorder was apparently hidden behind George at dinner and a recording was made. Hopefully this will surface for us.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:03 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:37 pm
hxxps://we.tl/t-f4JzlJjdcr
The speed correction is +2.4 Is that what you used?
Yes indeed
Last edited by Rickenbacker325 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

musigny23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:05 pm I was told that the pitch was 43 cents slow at the beginning and eventually drifts to 93 cents towards the end. ( A 1% speed change is equal to approximately 18 cents) So 2.4% slow is agreed to start but it apparently isn't constant to the end.
This would make sense as the recorder was battery powered. I could see it losing steam over an hour recording.
musigny23

Post by musigny23 »

bobzilla wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:27 am
musigny23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:05 pm I was told that the pitch was 43 cents slow at the beginning and eventually drifts to 93 cents towards the end. ( A 1% speed change is equal to approximately 18 cents) So 2.4% slow is agreed to start but it apparently isn't constant to the end.
This would make sense as the recorder was battery powered. I could see it losing steam over an hour recording.
Actually when the battery powered master tape is played on a mains powered deck that is more speed accurate and consistent, the effect is the opposite. The "correct" deck will render the inverse of the master recorder. The portable Batuba started a bit fast and apparently recorded at increasing speed as it went. Who can say why. Battery power can cause a deck to slow as power fades but until then other factors can be in um, "play". Some other aspect of the transport caused the deck to gradually increase speed, possibly as the weight shifted from feed reel to take up reel is altered the speed to increase. As the master recorder sped up, subsequent playback at proper 3.75 ips would sound lower pitched.
jpa

Post by jpa »

addsfsds wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:23 pm
musigny23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:05 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:03 pm

The speed correction is +2.4 Is that what you used?
I was told that the pitch was 43 cents slow at the beginning and eventually drifts to 93 cents towards the end. ( A 1% speed change is equal to approximately 18 cents) So 2.4% slow is agreed to start but it apparently isn't constant to the end.

The guy who determined that is a bit of a pitch correction guru and he posted his version at Dimeadozen:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=758005
Cool! Is there any chance for a wetransfer link, please? I lost my dime account years ago 😢 Thank you!
I second that!
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

rhino wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:19 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n1lr

I don't know if has been shared here yet. It's a link to a BBC Program talking about The Stowe Recording. It turns out The Beatles apparently had dinner at a local person's house after their show and a tape recorder was apparently hidden behind George at dinner and a recording was made. Hopefully this will surface for us.
The tape was auctioned a while ago... :(
Joel Nohn

Post by Joel Nohn »

BDJ wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:09 am
rhino wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:19 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n1lr

The tape was auctioned a while ago... :(
Also, if I remember correctly, it sounded worse than the dinner time recording from Twickenham ‘69 so it’s worse than useless.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah actually listening to it yesterday it did seem like the last few songs were dragging a bit. I Saw Her Standing There at the end has been sped up and edited though.

That's only one of several unsatisfactory things soundwise though. The samples played on the radio sound noticeably better. Just compare Love Me Do from the radio, and it has lots of bass guitar and kick drum - the bootleg has none at all. The radio tape doesn't have the air conditioning in the background either! And it's slightly less distorted. The thing that bugs me most about the bootleg is the utter lack of bottom end. When you demix out the air conditioner, the audio that remains craps out way before it gets anywhere near the bottom end. Obviously this is what you'd expect recording from headphones but it's still sad. The other thing about the bootleg is that the audio is in mono but there are lots of noises at the sides for some reason. Fortunately these are in antiphase, so folding down the two channels to mono cancels them out. Not sure anyone has done this yet. I didn't notice at first because sometimes I switch my phone to mono audio and forget, and that's how it was the night I first heard Stowe. But listening now in stereo those sounds are really obvious and annoying.

Here are two versions of Love Me Do: one from the radio doco and one from the boot, and also an OOPSED version of the bootleg which shows (amplified) the mysterious noises on the side channels.

https://tinyurl.com/stowecomparison
Last edited by Lord Reith on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

It’s highly likely that there will be further recordings made and booted and may be of better quality. Other labels will need to be monitored down the line as they may have used a different source tape.....so watch this space.