New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Albert Grove

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Albert Grove »

Albert Grove wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:47 am
BrayanMayonesa wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:20 am Here is a compilation that I made, which contains the 2 discs (original mono and AI Demix), the complete art (it has the art of the limited edition, common edition and fanmade art) and extras, all completely ordered and with their names respective. Enjoy!:
Maximum number of downloads exceeded :(
Solved! (after logging in) :lol:
Thank you BrayanMayonesa (and everybody else involved).
djdomato

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by djdomato »

georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:23 am
AdamBound wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:54 pm It could just be me, but I think some of this tape possibly runs too slow? I noticed on I'm Talking About You, it should be in E, but it appears that the audio is in D#?
Yes it does. Fortunately they play Love Me Do and John only had one harmonica that could play that song, so by comparing it to one of the BBC versions I found that the tape should be sped up by circa 2.3% (in Audacity).

That still leaves it a bit flat of "standard tuning" but much of their output from 1963 is in that tuning (432hz rather than 440hz).
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:00 am Between the Beeb session and this, we have 27 performances from a single day.
Wow.
sunnylew wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:19 am Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but are there any opinions on whether this could still be liberated somehow from the British Library more cleanly?

If this was indeed captured by an induction microphone, then some sort of grab from a hearing loop would probably give a better result.

I've used induction microphones a couple of times, and found the sound to be pretty awful. It's been about ten years now, so maybe there are better ones, but even a quick google now shows you can buy them for 5 or 6 dollars - they are not exactly high quality pieces of kit.
Are we sure it was recorded on site? Sounds awfully clean to me, or at least not noticeably different to what we heard in the radio show.

As an experiment I added bass and kick drum from a BBC recording to the Stowe tape of Hippy Hippy Shake. And I had fun with tags.

https://tinyurl.com/Live-At-The-British-Library

Hopefully someone would speed the set up to the right one....
musigny23

Post by musigny23 »

I heard that the "British Library reference .wav file" circulated "privately" about a month ago. I hope to get it and see how it compares to the boot. Considering how easy files are to move around and duplicate and that the British Library isn't really a place where access by various employees etc probably isn't tightly controlled, it seems very possible. I mean, it's bound to happen, right?
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

musigny23 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:49 am I heard that the "British Library reference .wav file" circulated "privately" about a month ago. I hope to get it and see how it compares to the boot. Considering how easy files are to move around and duplicate and that the British Library isn't really a place where access by various employees etc probably isn't tightly controlled, it seems very possible. I mean, it's bound to happen, right?
Well, it seems that artefacts have allegedly been hemorrhaging out of the British Museum for years so if the British Library is run along the same lines then it’s quite possible for audio tapes to leek.
Shears1971

Post by Shears1971 »

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
tilman

Post by tilman »

I would like to add my THANK YOU to all involved
CajíasBeatles81

Post by CajíasBeatles81 »

Grateful to everyone who makes it possible to listen to this historical material, a warm hug and blessings to all 🇧🇴❤️🇧🇴
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:23 am Are we sure it was recorded on site? Sounds awfully clean to me, or at least not noticeably different to what we heard in the radio show.
I can hear occasional little background sounds which I thought might be additional sounds picked up through the headphone (which you'd get if you used an induction mic) but after comparing with the radio show excerpts I think I can hear them there too so whatever I'm hearing is possibly on the original tape. Plus it's likely the radio show clips have had a bit of quick and dirty eq to remove some of the background hiss or whatever it is.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

sunnylew wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:45 am
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:08 pm
AdamBound wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:54 pm It could just be me, but I think some of this tape possibly runs too slow? I noticed on I'm Talking About You, it should be in E, but it appears that the audio is in D#?
Sounds too fast now..it’s always possible they’re tuned to John’s harmonica which might’ve been slightly flat…and this version is similar in speed to the BBC version..it’s more “deliberate” where the Star Club version(best version ever) is more “frantic”
It could be somewhere in between.

I've had a listen to the fragments that some kind soul (I'm sorry i can't remember who now) compiled and uploaded from the radio broadcast and compared them to the bootleg. The radio version is definitely a little faster and a pitched a little higher.
Now that’s definitely possible