Strawberry Fields Forever original 35mm found

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Fun 4 None

Re: Strawberry Fields Forever original 35mm found

Post by Fun 4 None »

itslefty wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:39 pm It was filmed with a 16mm Arriflex camera.
Not true, it was 35mm
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Indeed

Compare that width to the Get Back project camera's

WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Tony Bramwell who filmed everything from early promo films to Blackbirds Apple footage and this promo film and Penny Lane was also head of Apple Films and more and he has stated a lot of times in his book interviews and Facebook posts that Apple has all his films in their basement

So this means this is a print of the Apple film and it is the film's audio track than if it is a magnetic tape reel?
Chris
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

harrylime wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 pm
BDJ wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:52 pm For many years, Fenno has claimed that he has a 'Master Tape' of Strawberry Fields. He said he obtained it from a Dutch Television company in the 1980's. Therefore, it would indeed be a magnetic tape, not a celluloid film. It is possible that he is now referring to this tape, which he - apparently- had lost somewhere in his huge collection.
No it's not 'possible', because his Facebook post literally says he has found a film can containing 'the original' 35 mm print of the SFF promo.
Na 10 jaar zoeken is het originele filmblik met inhoud terug gevonden van the Beatles “Strawberry Fields Forever” op 35mm film!
Which is also discussed in the linked forum threads.
As LR already said, the picture appears to be of a tape reel, not a 35mm film.

But could there be a 35mm film inside the can, looks like another copy?

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/price-r ... LzWZp0rtNE
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

BDJ wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:30 pm As LR already said, the picture appears to be of a tape reel, not a 35mm film.
I was specifically referring to your statement " It is possible that he is now referring to this tape," which easily refutable because he's literally talking about finding a 35 mm film, not just a 'copy' or some other ambiguous term that doesn't pinpoint a specific medium (that could thus be either film or tape).

In regard to whether his claim to have found any original element holds any truth is another story, and I already mentioned in my first reply that because of his reputation it's doubtful at best. But it could still be he found both, so the 35 mm + the audio reel, and then just posted the picture of the latter's can. Maybe the film can didn't have a label and he wanted to show off anything that did have 'SFF' on it.
But could there be a 35mm film inside the can, looks like another copy?
That would be even more doubtful as audio tapes are much narrower obviously, even the multitrack session tape that SFF was recorded on was a mere half inch (12.7 mm) wide, the common distribution format would be quarter inch, so 6 mm. Good luck finding a can meant for that size which then can hold a 35 mm reel.
itslefty

Post by itslefty »

[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

I visited a showing of his 'personal archive' in the Melkweg in Amsterdam around 15 years ago, where he mostly displayed stuff from the Abbey Road Video Show bootleg, and also alternate shots from the A Day In The Life promo, claiming it was 'the first Beatles promo shot on color film'. I then called him out during the Q&A that the Chiswick House promo's were in color too and he brushed it off saying those were colorised :| I realised then he was just full of baloney.
Although long time ago it's exactly happened as you describe the event; I attend the 'show' too.