Delta Mono Can they Re-Created it ?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
WOA76

Delta Mono Can they Re-Created it ?

Post by WOA76 »

could they use MAL to take Mono Delta and make She Loves You in Steteo cause Twin Tracks are gone?

i know this is not the same but BBC restored Dr. Who found a lot of color show film with tele sync in black and white and able to grab color micro dots and restore images with a computer maybe with MAL they do the same audio for these tracks?

if I recall Please Please Me and a few of the singles up to With The Beatles were done like this or was I wrong?

I know I Want To Hold Your hand IS first 4-track

for people who do not know talking about it :)

""In the Compleat Beatles documentary, George Martin stated that there was no real mixing needed for the Beatles first album as it was recorded 'direct to stereo'.
But that's only half the story - it was also recorded 'direct to mono' at the same time.

This was done by capturing the session on two tape machines simultaneously.
The mixing desk would feed the sound to the twin-track machine in 'wide stereo' (usually instruments on one track, vocals on the other) and also to a mono machine in 'collapsed mono'. If all went well, you would end up with completed mono and stereo masters with very little post-production work needed.

It didn't quite end up that way for the album, but the delta mono (annotated on recording sheets by a triangle, actually the Greek symbol for Delta) technique also carried over to the subsequent 'mixing' sessions."

Delta Mono - The Beatles at EMI in early 1963
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 63.928539/
Chris
Kwai Chang

Re: Delta Mono Can they Re-Created it ?

Post by Kwai Chang »

Should I presume that TRUE mono playback is done through a single speaker?
All help is appreciated.
Back to our program!
KC
slane

Post by slane »

That was at thread I started at SH forums.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Recording The Beatles suggests that delta mono ended after the From Me To You single. As Lewisohn noted in Recording Sessions, the stereo FMTY was never 'mixed' as such - the delta mono tapes were edited together (from the basic take and overdub takes) for the single, and a similar edit (though not quite the same) was assembled from the twin-tracks for a 'stereo' version (Lewisohn makes reference to the Collection Of Oldies album, but the stereo tape had already been used on the Beatles Greatest album in Europe). Same thing for Thank You Girl, though the twin-track edit for that was even more basic.

It's possible that the She Loves You single was recorded the same way (perhaps the final nail in the coffin for delta mono?), but without any recording sheets or outtakes there's no way of knowing. It could be that they edited together a mono version from the delta mono tapes but never got around to assembling a similar stereo version from the twin-tracks (before the tapes were junked). Or it could just be a twin-track only recording (like the subsequent WTB LP) that was mixed into mono but never mixed to stereo.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Thanks for posting that for the new people.
Many of us here probably already know the technical details. I permanently left Hoffman a month ago.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

slane wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:46 pm That was at thread I started at SH forums.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Recording The Beatles suggests that delta mono ended after the From Me To You single. As Lewisohn noted in Recording Sessions, the stereo FMTY was never 'mixed' as such - the delta mono tapes were edited together (from the basic take and overdub takes) for the single, and a similar edit (though not quite the same) was assembled from the twin-tracks for a 'stereo' version (Lewisohn makes reference to the Collection Of Oldies album, but the stereo tape had already been used on the Beatles Greatest album in Europe). Same thing for Thank You Girl, though the twin-track edit for that was even more basic.

It's possible that the She Loves You single was recorded the same way (perhaps the final nail in the coffin for delta mono?), but without any recording sheets or outtakes there's no way of knowing. It could be that they edited together a mono version from the delta mono tapes but never got around to assembling a similar stereo version from the twin-tracks (before the tapes were junked). Or it could just be a twin-track only recording (like the subsequent WTB LP) that was mixed into mono but never mixed to stereo.
Let me first say great post wow the 1963 thing would great on here now as 60 years

great post

I am saying I wonder if they take mono as done same time re create the Stereo twin tracks as there are no more...

also with all stuff there found and Geoff's family has a tape of June 1962 who knows what on the end of reels or miss labeled....

like saying it's sad the reel with Hold Me Tight is missing
Chris
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

The earlier the tape, the greater the likelihood of indecision about loss control.
Some of the missing tapes might have been cut up to be reassembled...to save time. To save money. To keep the price down.
That's all the same EXCELLENT reason to do so. (Swan, Tollie, VJ, Etc)
Especially, if this goose lays golden eggs!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Could be!!!
"WHAT? You don't like my tie? Then you're gonna hate my budget"!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

WOA76 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:08 pm could they use MAL to take Mono Delta and make She Loves You in Steteo cause Twin Tracks are gone?
Sure. And here it is:

https://tinyurl.com/Delta-and-the-Gladmen
I could never understand why the session info is missing too. Normally they kept the paperwork going by what is seen in Lewisohn's book.

She Loves You has a lot of fiddly hairline edits. There are edits in the middle of the guitar figures at the end of each chorus. Real horrorshow stuff. Maybe they edited the delta mono and then had a go at the twin-track but it didn't work out. So with the twintrack tape ruined they binned it and the sheets that very afternoon. I mean, why go to all the trouble of rooting out and binning some recording sheets months later when you're randomly clearing out some old tapes? It seems to me that it was all sitting there in a pile and they just swept it into a bin, and that's why there's no records of it.

Or maybe after all the hassle of editing the mono version they thought "Wow, we're not going through that again!" and to make sure of it binned the session tape.

Or maybe they made a stereo mix, then did an edit and that got binned with the session tape because they didn't like it.

But I still think it may have been the result of a botched edit, or some other accident.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:41 am
WOA76 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:08 pm could they use MAL to take Mono Delta and make She Loves You in Steteo cause Twin Tracks are gone?

Sure. And here it is:

https://tinyurl.com/Delta-and-the-Gladmen
I could never understand why the session info is missing too. Normally they kept the paperwork going by what is seen in Lewisohn's book.

She Loves You has a lot of fiddly hairline edits. There are edits in the middle of the guitar figures at the end of each chorus. Real horrorshow stuff. Maybe they edited the delta mono and then had a go at the twin-track but it didn't work out. So with the twintrack tape ruined they binned it and the sheets that very afternoon. I mean, why go to all the trouble of rooting out and binning some recording sheets months later when you're randomly clearing out some old tapes? It seems to me that it was all sitting there in a pile and they just swept it into a bin, and that's why there's no records of it.

Or maybe after all the hassle of editing the mono version they thought "Wow, we're not going through that again!" and to make sure of it binned the session tape.

Or maybe they made a stereo mix, then did an edit and that got binned with the session tape because they didn't like it.

But I still think it may have been the result of a botched edit, or some other accident.
WOW this clearest I ever heard it's that amazing
also, wasn't the German version from this track tape?
I read I thought when did Paris I thought i read Mr. Martin had copied the backing track
so maybe that copy around?

Side thing:

with the SDE they seem going through EVERYTHING who knows what tapes have been found since 1996

but those Rubber Soul sessions are tin on outtakes people are saying

WE know for a fact that Paperback Writer we hear the rehearsals bleeding thought on the bootleg copy as I noticed it was REMOVED on SDE I got so used over the years I kinda miss it...so maybe more stuff

the Yellow Submarine tape 2nd part is BEFORE the session started Judy who be Martain wife sat in on the session I think he was sick or busy.... it is in the recording Session book
so WHO KNOWS on the session tapes themselves

the General public may not hear but be nice if we got to hear the rest tape with Brian reading parts his book

So again who knows on these tapes still
Chris
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

No for Sie Liebt Dich they recorded a new backing on twin track and then dubbed across to another tape to add vocals. I don't know why they did this when they had 4 track available.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:28 am No for Sie Liebt Dich they recorded a new backing on twin track and then dubbed across to another tape to add vocals. I don't know why they did this when they had 4 track available.
well, your version She Loves You amazing :)

Let's hope with technology something can be done
Chris