What were your 1st Beatles' books & do you still have them?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
MarkRJones1970

What were your 1st Beatles' books & do you still have them?

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I started buying a few tribute mags in 1982 when all that 'It Was 20 Years Ago Today' stuff started, which I still have. Then I started to get the new 'Beatles Monthly' mags that commenced in Oct 1982 (though the man at the Post Office who had to specially order in my ONE copy each month missed getting the 1st issue, so I started with issue 2, managing to get issue 1 about 10 years ago from eBay! I carried on with it until about 1991) I NEVER saw 'Beatles Monthly' in a shop back then. No newsagent near me in Northampton stocked it and it was never on the shelves at WHSmiths. Not until much later did I start to see it in Smiths. It was odd how hard it was to get it!

But then I started getting some books. These of which were my main reading material at the time, some bought and some repeatedly borrowed from the library until I was able to secure my own copies (some of them over 20 years later!):

'The Beatles for the Record' was bought for me one Christmas, probably 1983.
'An Illustrated Record' was borrowed from the library again and again until I found a shop sellling it and bought my own. Sadly, my hamster escaped one night and decided to chew the corner of the cover!
The book with the Andy Warhol portrait of Paul was a great photo book, again, borrowed over and over from the library until I got this 2nd hand copy from eBay.
'The Beatles A to Z' was another library borrow then eBay buy which tantalized me with unheard Beatles' songs like 'Pink Litmus Paper Shirt' and 'Colliding Circles' which we then find out never existed! Still, I loved reading it back then (and found the cover photo fascinating as it was the only shot I'd seen from that photo shoot at the time).
'The Beatles Forever' was yet another library borrow then eBay buy which fooled me into thinking that the 'Help!' ariport disguise photos were from 'Magical Mystery Tour'. That's what the text said! Oddly, all the photos in the book stop after 1967 so the later years aren't represented despite coming out around 1977! Still, it has some great shots in it (which you can now just look up on the internet!)
I bought 'Beatles: In Their Own Words' 2nd hand so didn't need the library for that one.
And lastly, there was 'Shout!', the 1st biography I ever read. I wasn't too interested in the pre-recording history of the band back then so skipped the start. By doing that I missed out on the description of the 1960 rehearsal tapes, which surprised me when they actually surfaced and my copy of the bootleg included the text about it from the book. I looked back in my copy and there it was! Up until I got the bootleg I didn't realise tapes like that existed!

Obviously I've got loads more since then, and these have all been surpassed but they all hold a special place in my memory. I was 12 to 15 years old. Back then, I had these books, a pirate copy of 'The Complete Beatles' on VHS, some recorded 'Ready, Steady, Go' performances and each months Beatles Monthly mag. That was IT! So, what about you?
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
mojofilter

Re: What were your 1st Beatles' books & do you still have them?

Post by mojofilter »

thumb.png
thumb.png (317.84 KiB) Viewed 647 times
This was mine. Yes, I still have it.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
teegee

Post by teegee »

First one of any significance was Hunter Davies - The Beatles in 1968.
All Together Now 1976 was the catalyst for searching for bootlegs etc.
There are many magazine articles, tour programme, posters etc but these pale into insignificance when compared to the collections of others.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (624.88 KiB) Viewed 646 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (653.98 KiB) Viewed 646 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (646.07 KiB) Viewed 646 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (619.63 KiB) Viewed 646 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 646 times
teegee

Post by teegee »

To go with the others.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (717.25 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

This was my first, bought from a corner shop newsagent in the mid 70's. I still have it somewhere. I've moved house a few times and all my books & magazines are boxed up. One day I'll open them up and rediscover my youth. I retired a couple of years ago and promised myself that I would read all my books (Beatle and non-Beatle), listen to all my music and put 'The Complete Beatles Score' (Hal Leonard) to good use but it doesn't work out like that. Life gets in the way !

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

My very first Beatles print was a tribute magazine that came out in 1976 during the big Beatles Revival. It had loads of colour pictures of the early Beatles plus some reappraisals of their work (funny to think it had only been ten years previous) and a discography. That was perfect fodder for my walls and embryonic record collection but it also meant that the said document is now in many pieces.

In 1979 I got my first proper Beatle books for Christmas: The Beatles Illustrated Record and the Hunter Davies biography. I still have those of course, even though I bought the expanded version of the bio years later.

Other early books included the reproduction of Merseybeat articles about the Beatles, Shout! and The Beatles Forever (most people's favourite book at that time, including me).
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

My very first Beatles book came to me one Christmas in the mid 70's. "Growing Up With The Beatles" by Ron Schaumburg.
A view of the Beatles career as it happened, through the eyes of a kid.
It had a tremendous effect on me as I was doing the same, albeit 10 years later. I still have the book.
The next Beatles-related book I got was a few years later "The Beatles In Their Own Words" by Miles.