request... he's so fine

stereoman33

Re: request... he's so fine

Post by stereoman33 »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:00 pm What song is this?? And I don’t believe it’s ever been in a court room…as this wasn’t “the hit”

The Small faces are doing the Muddy waters song "You Need lovin'"
Willie Dixon(the songs author) took Led zeppelin to court and sued successfully for "Whole Lotta love"
they share the credits with Willie Dixon on the latest Led Zeppelin 2 releases
and of course Jake Holmes now gets a mention on Led Zeppelin 1 for "Dazed and confused"

Last edited by stereoman33 on Tue May 23, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
petes9

Post by petes9 »

Check out what Ed Sheeran said about his court case. I thought it was interesting.

Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

stereoman33 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:56 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:00 pm What song is this?? And I don’t believe it’s ever been in a court room…as this wasn’t “the hit”

Muddy waters took Led zeppelin to court and sued successfully for "Whole Lotta love"
they share the credits with muddy on the latest Led Zeppelin 2 releases
and of course Jake Holmes now gets a mention on Led Zeppelin 1 for "Dazed and confused"

Ever read who the Small Faces credited as the writer of said song??
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:07 am
stereoman33 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:56 pm

Muddy waters took Led zeppelin to court and sued successfully for "Whole Lotta love"
they share the credits with muddy on the latest Led Zeppelin 2 releases

Ever read who the Small Faces credited as the writer of said song??
Yes themselves and Willie Dixon didn’t sue them , well not as much money involved as Led Zeppelin.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

In his Playboy interview John correctly pegged Rod Stewart as having ripped off Don't Let Me Down (as "darling please stay" , although John erroneously said "Maggie don't go") but then said he didn't care! Which i thought was funny. Probably he was thinking of all the bits he borrowed from other songs, but John was always smart enough to disguise them. George just took He's So Fine wholesale and added new lyrics. He walked straight under a bus.

The funniest case of musical "borrowing" to me is Surfin' USA. Chuck Berry rightly flipped when he heard it and immediately sued Brian Wilson for a co-writer's credit, but in Brian's autobiography he refused to admit that he had just added new words to Sweet Little Sixteen. Talk about being in denial.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:58 am In his Playboy interview John correctly pegged Rod Stewart as having ripped off Don't Let Me Down (as "darling please stay" , although John erroneously said "Maggie don't go") but then said he didn't care! Which i thought was funny. Probably he was thinking of all the bits he borrowed from other songs, but John was always smart enough to disguise them. George just took He's So Fine wholesale and added new lyrics. He walked straight under a bus.

The funniest case of musical "borrowing" to me is Surfin' USA. Chuck Berry rightly flipped when he heard it and immediately sued Brian Wilson for a co-writer's credit, but in Brian's autobiography he refused to admit that he had just added new words to Sweet Little Sixteen. Talk about being in denial.
I could've sworn I read a Lennon interview where he claimed he warned George about "My Sweet Lord" beforehand. Perhaps it was just a general warning about musical plagiarism? I know Ringo was interviewed on TV around 1964 and asked if he had written anything. He said he wrote a song but it turned out he "nicked it." No doubt warned by the others.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:58 am In his Playboy interview John correctly pegged Rod Stewart as having ripped off Don't Let Me Down (as "darling please stay" , although John erroneously said "Maggie don't go") but then said he didn't care! Which i thought was funny. Probably he was thinking of all the bits he borrowed from other songs, but John was always smart enough to disguise them. George just took He's So Fine wholesale and added new lyrics. He walked straight under a bus.

I thought the 2nd part of "the killing of Georgie" was an exact copy of the chorus of "don't let me down"

as for Brian Wilson's autobiography I think it was heavily edited by Eugene Landy.He certainly was in control when it first came out.so some of the stuff in it can be taken with a pinch of salt.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ronson wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:55 am I could've sworn I read a Lennon interview where he claimed he warned George about "My Sweet Lord" beforehand. Perhaps it was just a general warning about musical plagiarism? I know Ringo was interviewed on TV around 1964 and asked if he had written anything. He said he wrote a song but it turned out he "nicked it." No doubt warned by the others.
There's an interview where Ringo is asked (must be about 1964/5) why he doesn't write any songs and he says that he just ends up rewriting other people's songs and when he plays them to the others they fall about laughing. :lol:

The better songwriters have discovered the 'trick", which is to deliberately begin with someone else's song and use that as a starting point for something of your own. If you try to think of something completely "original" from scratch, there is a 99.9% chance you'll just dredge up some half forgotten melody from the past and believe it is your own. I think Paul probably did get the opening melodic line of Yesterday from somewhere else, maybe a movie score or something, but it was mixed up with other stuff in his sleep and when he woke up he had the first bit there to start him off and so just figured out the rest as he went along. The cute story that he just woke up with the whole song finished in his head is just too pat.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

stereoman33 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:38 pmI thought the 2nd part of "The Killing Of Georgie" was an exact copy of the chorus of "Don't Let Me Down"
That was the first thing I thought first time I heard it. There is just no way it could have been something Rod thought he made up on his own. Whether he did or not, that's "Don't Let Me Down" with new words, and you can't convince me otherwise.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:25 am If you try to think of something completely "original" from scratch, there is a 99.9% chance you'll just dredge up some half forgotten melody from the past and believe it is your own.
This will be the legacy of AI:
PLagiarism is all there is. Thank you, classical, rigid, discipline...
Just not enough range of motion for time signatures and whole notes<--------->1/16th notes
to create ANYTHING NEW...
ie EVERYCOMPOSER...is guilty!
NOW, who wants to call BMI and ASCAP?
Not me!
Start here-----> "X"!!!
By Money, money, money!
Say a prayer for the dying radio star...
If you think the harmony
is a little crowded and
out of key...
You're CORRECT----->EVERYONE's here!
Happy Saturday, Friends!
KC