A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Kwai Chang

Re: A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 am if I write a John Lennonish song and then sing it in his voice using sovits there is nothing currently to stop me from selling that online, so long as I make no mention of John Lennon. The fact that he is deceased makes it unlikely that they could patent his voice now.

Whatever happens, I think the music world is about to pass through the looking glass into a strange new dimension.
Mutated arrangements of familiar tunes might qualify them for 50 ADDITIONAL years of copyright extension. If that's a possibility, then it might suggest a coordinated effort of rogue elements in the publishing world. It isn't so much that chicanery is moral or ethical grey area. It's more to do with all competing industry forces carefully cultivate the mechanisms of FAME to appear separate and unrelated. In this manner, the entire landscape is created to give the illusion that romantic struggles to fame are common and organic. So, when bands sign with a label, their assigned handlers are called producers and nobody gets to be a decision maker. That's why a wrecking crew... why a publicist... why a photographer... why a manager... why a band... WELL, maybe not a band...but everyone else run in different directions to help the 'band' create a record with potential and possibly hit-bound. But, ALL are creations. None better than any other. All seeking their own levels of greatness as if guided by their respective importance. Street date, radio debut, most requested, break out, top 40, Number 1, Grammy...An Illusion? Ron Dante singing Sugar Sugar with the Archies, The Wrecking Crew on Beach Boys Pet Sounds...Corky grows up to be Monkee Dolenz...Neil Young is spotted by Stephen Stills who had just arrived from Canada to start a band with Neil. The Byrds land a Sunset Strip gig at Pandora's Box because they were amateurs without instruments or experience but Derek Taylor bailed from Beatles team to be the publicist for them(huh?). Man, those lines are really blurry. Thank God, BMI and ASCAP can provide a little peace of mind(more confidence)...and it's just a very competitive marketplace that maintains a random organic appearance of authenticity. It might not have been AI but the entire contents of any entertainment or news media are cobbled productions. Since the beginning, all of it is CREATED. It's not called artificial or fake. It's how things can become seamless because the social infrastructure even plays a role in legitimizing the (AI) creation by simple advertising, TV appearances, air play, interviews, controversy, concerts, and now of our own volition...we will be made aware of indoctrinated limitations and advantages which will not be enough to make music or beat the computer at chess. Humans might not be good enough to make music. But, I bet the AI will be able to find all music guilty of plagiarism. It's going to change everything and it will be like a rip tide/undertow to find out we are already inferior. Can Artificial Chastisement be far behind?
So, losing at chess might become musical.
And, real.
Thanks for your time.
KC
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Going forward we might only be able to trust Giles with his master tapes and whatever they officially release, but then again, he's been known to do some major fakery – so we're screwed every which way.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Actually, I did a lot of reading up yesterday and I think music is the least thing we have to worry about.

A couple of weeks ago Snapchat integrated a "chabot friend" into its app, powered by ChatGPT. Surprise surprise... it also conveniently drops products and services recommendations into conversations. :roll: At the moment it seems it is still pretty "stupid" in that it's not going to hold a person's interest for too long, but we all know that will change quickly.

I mean, can you imagine the next generation of consumer victims addicted not just to social media but to their "AI friends" in their phone? That is a frightening thought. Remember when the "safe spaces" generation first entered the universities and workforce a while back, and how they caused havoc by having unrealistic expectations about human interactions. Imagine now a generation weaned on AI echo chambers entering the workforce and expecting all their colleagues to live up to their AI buddies' standards... what a world that will create. And that's if they even have any work colleagues left that haven't had their jobs taken by AI.

The thing that really riles me is these tech gurus in the press saying "We've got to take it slow with AI!" and then rolling out more stuff in the background. OpenAI, who invented ChatGPT, have quietly hired hundreds of coders to train their application how to code better. You don't have to be a genius to see where that's going. And yet the head of OpenAI has the gall to talk about AI being potentially harmful to society. Likewise, the guy who worked at g$$gle for ten years developing their version of AI has now quit and - richly bankrolled by years of service to his masters - is now playing the saint and saying that AI is a threat to civilisation.

Also, imagine what a field day these chatbots are going to have with your data. All those thousands of emails, phone messages and photos integrated into their devious AI minds, all focused on how better to groom and manipulate you.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

Not to take things too far afield, but the greatest threat to The Human Race remains, as always, The Human Race. Why blame AI, we can do this ourselves.
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

Mr Muckle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 am Not to take things too far afield, but the greatest threat to The Human Race remains, as always, The Human Race. Why blame AI, we can do this ourselves.
Don't forget it was us that made AI. We can't blame the disease when we designed it. This is how we are doing it to ourselves.

It's so conflicting, because a strong part of me is just saying, " Wow, this is all so cool!"
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

If the whole world becomes Americanized, then there will be an increased demand for convenience.
But, the term has no application for intelligence...and, that's why nobody can ever hope to beat the computer at chess.
A modern schematic will be beyond the capacities of the human brain to 'think' and respond in a manner of real time performance. Music is purely mathematical in terms of meter and the performance is manual dexterity. Good luck with the new time-signatures. Fractal Pentium processing/output with be of an ultrasonic rate that simply cannot be convenient...but, it might still be within natural realms of vibration and therefore possibly useful. NOT convenient. But, technology has already made the difference too wide to swim across. So, what is a homo sapiens to do?
Is there really a limit to the intelligence?
Or, is it convenience that is over-rated?
Perhaps wealth is not a financial term but, rather, a psychological one.
(That sounds like 4:4 time signature to me)
While supplies last at participating locations only!
KC

Machines will never make 'Beatles' music. Only 4 people ever existed that had such ability.
This is outside of convenience...or intelligence. (hint: Compassion)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I suppose the dilemma facing AI researchers is much like that that faced the atomic scientists. None of them wanted to build the H Bomb except Teller, but in the end they had to build it simply because they weren't sure if the other side might do it in secret.

The big difference though, obviously, is that ordinary people as a rule did not have access to thermonuclear weapons. :) So assuming everyone kept their head and there were no accidents, it was "safe". But any idiot can access this stuff now. ChatGPT and its successors will make it so much easier for criminals and cyber intelligence to deploy malware. Even those stupid "voice print" IDs everyone uses can now be easily fooled, and we haven't even hardly begun.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:47 am I suppose the dilemma facing AI researchers is much like that that faced the atomic scientists. None of them wanted to build the H Bomb except Teller, but in the end they had to build it simply because they weren't sure if the other side might do it in secret.
I wonder why you single out Teller. On what information is it based?

As far as I know, the US government sought the advice of a number of atomic scientists if (and how) an atomic bomb should be used. Teller was not involved in the advisory board (to his later dismay), but the majority of the other scientists opted for a military target, to minimise American casualties in the Pacific war.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:33 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:47 am I suppose the dilemma facing AI researchers is much like that that faced the atomic scientists. None of them wanted to build the H Bomb except Teller, but in the end they had to build it simply because they weren't sure if the other side might do it in secret.
I wonder why you single out Teller. On what information is it based?

As far as I know, the US government sought the advice of a number of atomic scientists if (and how) an atomic bomb should be used. Teller was not involved in the advisory board (to his later dismay), but the majority of the other scientists opted for a military target, to minimise American casualties in the Pacific war.
No I was referring to the hydrogen bomb not the bombs they dropped on Japan. The H was very much Teller's baby. The point is that all the other Los Alamos people said it would be too dangerous, but Teller's view was that they couldn't risk another country having it.
FerBeaT

Post by FerBeaT »

Hi guys! I'm in a position where I still wonder how this technology could possibly exist. It's very scary. On the other hand, I think it could make some dreams come true. I read that someone wondered what could be done with The Star Club Tapes, and it was the first thing that I imagined myself. I've been dreaming for years of a better version of "Where Have You Been All My Life", with a more defined voice from John, as I really like the song. Lord Reith made this song much better a few years ago with his magic, but with this new AI, we could have a fantastic version. If any of those who read me could do it... I think I would be grateful for life! Greetings!!

FerBeaT