A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Ziggy C

Re: A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Post by Ziggy C »

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:30 am
And The Monkees in concert were the same actors from the TV show pretending to be the fictitious group from the TV show who might have mimed their instruments but still had Don Kirshner removed from the show due to artistic differences of opinion. And Davy Jones was on the Feb 9, 1964 Ed Sullivan show.
The origins of The Monkees band is certainly interesting. From intentions of assembling a "face" band, through Stephen Stills recommending his Laurel Canyon neighbor, Peter Tork, through the whole Boyce/Hart Brill building song factory....through Jimi Hendrix Experience as an opening act for but a handful of shows... Yes, there were was some nice feel-good pop. Neil Diamond's and Carole King's input are certainly put to good use.

But as a live band, The Monkees simply couldn't pull it off. Not then. Not now. And that's because, really, only a couple guys had any musical talent (Michael and Peter.) Davy had stage experience, which helps but does not equate in a pop band milieu. And Mickey was a child actor.

Fun story: (I have but a few of these...):
Back in the early aught's my band used to haunt a place in Tarzana called, Paladino's Lounge. It was a popular place for all manner of covers and local bands. I recall seeing Foo Fighters there in one of their secret gigs (it was their favorite club to play in SoCal....back in the day...) My band opened for the likes of Chris Thompson (sang Blinded By The Light,) Rare Earth, and many of the more popular covers bands, Led ZepAgain, Atomic Punks...

Anyroads, one night, we found ourselves on the same bill with a Monkees covers band. They were aptly called, Hey Hey It's The Monkees!
And awful would be high praise. They really tried (and I respected this part) to combine the comedy banter and schtick with the music. But it came off so badly. Even the crickets were afraid to rub their wings together. I think this was their one and only gig. The guys in the band were already fairly well established in various other covers bands. So they were wise enough to abandon the sunk ship.

I have a few live recordings of the Monkees. Even went to see them as a threesome (minus the late Davy Jones.) It was primarily a nostalgia act by then.

Point being that while the music industry has lost its soul, it still grabs at every last dollar from every crappy venture. Nothing is off limits.

Any bets that Kiss will continue after Gene and Paul retire? I can pretty much assure you that it definitely will go on. How can it not? Or put another way, how can it rot? I guess we'll know soon enough.

And what does this have to do with AI? Well, kiddies,....application of AI in realtime is right around the corner. Consider that Kiss. and many other bands incorporate canned sounds, including vocals, to enhance their stage shows. Now add into that an AI app which takes the voice of whomever is singing, and applies just enough tone, pattern, syncopation, timbre, number of cycles, etc. And voila! Anyone can sound like anybody on stage. Done!

The software to distinguish real from faux will certainly need to be highly sophisticated. The licensing of one's likeness had better (goddamit) include their voice at any time in their career as well as their manner of wordplay. And I would wish upon wish that people. when producing an AI fabrication, maintain a measure of honesty (along with pride in their work, and self respect, if any,) as they churn this stuff out.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

...application of AI in realtime is right around the corner.".

No, it is already here. All you need is a fast laptop and download the software.
CostaRica2022

Post by CostaRica2022 »

cliftdean74 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:44 pm
CostaRica2022 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:38 pm NEWS ALERT! Better check the news because the WH announced today that they have put K Harris 'in charge' of monitoring, etc. AI development.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
True story. I read this just a little while ago.

hxxps://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article ... -czar.html
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Fun!
CostaRica2022 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:38 pm NEWS ALERT! Better check the news because the WH announced today that they have put K Harris 'in charge' of monitoring, etc. AI development.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

It finally dawned on me how Kwai Chang writes his stuff-!
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:17 pmThe origins of The Monkees band is certainly interesting. From intentions of assembling a "face" band, through Stephen Stills recommending his Laurel Canyon neighbor, Peter Tork..
Have you read the various Laurel Canyon books? Weird goings-on, mostly related to the children of military men...
Last edited by alphabeatles on Fri May 05, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's difficult to predict how being able to impersonate a voice will pan out for artists. For starters I imagine that most of them will be enraged about others "stealing" their voice. I mean, if I write a John Lennonish song and then sing it in his voice using sovits there is nothing currently to stop me from selling that online, so long as I make no mention of John Lennon. The fact that he is deceased makes it unlikely that they could patent his voice now. Macca on the other hand could patent his voice, but would the patent also apply to his younger voice or just his current voice? And how would you go about proving someone is using your voice?

Because of the potential problems I predict that artists might go half way, in the sense that they might use the basic timbre of a famous person's voice but use their own accent and inflections. That in fact would actually be a far more horrible outcome. I shudder at the thought of John's voice delivering a rap song in an American accent. If you think this sounds far fetched, just look at what has happened with Autotune and how it's gone from being a corrective tool to a creative one that afflicts all modern vocals. This would be 100 times worse than Autotune.

Maybe if it gets too crazy then it'll provoke a backlash, and people will begin to turn backwards towards older stuff. There's already a lot of kids out there who prefer 60s, 70s and 80s music to what is being made now, especially since streaming made it all effortlessly available to them.

Whatever happens, I think the music world is about to pass through the looking glass into a strange new dimension. A lot of it will be horrible, but it'll be no worse than cancel culture, stalking, one-dimensional politics and all the other blights that technology has brought to our society. When you get down to it, the basic problem is that we are just in over our heads, and a kind of decadent anarchy is taking over. Humans weren't designed to live this way.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 ama kind of decadent anarchy is taking over
You just summed up everything we read in the news every day...
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 am

Because of the potential problems I predict that artists might go half way, in the sense that they might use the basic timbre of a famous person's voice but use their own accent and inflections.
Ringo could definitely protect his utterly unique way of pronouncing the word "aand" :lol:
MP3J

Post by MP3J »