A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Lord Reith

Re: A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Post by Lord Reith »

quigatolah wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:10 pm "Music industry" and "artist" became mutually exclusive terms long ago.
Unless you have lots of time to search for the needle in the haystack,
you will find little art coming from the music industry.

While you will find plenty of competent performers in the music industry
they are put to work producing more of "what sells".

The movie industry is in the same state.

Yes, I agree with this. I mean, there is no doubt some good stuff out there but as you say it is a needle in a haystack and impossible to find unless you are totally immersed in the culture, which I'm not. The thing is that now having an album doesn't mean a lot. You can say you have an album on spotify, but what you are really saying is "I have a web page". Having an album on spotify is no different to having a blog page. There must be literally hundreds of thousands of unknown artists on spotify who will never be heard by the populace.

When i think of the incredible strides that were made in music between about 1940 and 1980 and then I look at the progress made in the past 20+ years, it's clear to me that the music industry has totally lost the plot. From a mainstream point of view, it's just a constant regurgitation of a few themes: the hip hopper blabbing away about depressing crap (really, who wants to listen to verbal diarohea about some guy's personal life?); the warbling diva trying to cram dozens of notes into one syllable while moaning about men; sampled hooks and riffs from old songs used to form the basis of new ones; and the one stock remaining chord sequence (I, V, vi, IV) which constitues the harmonic background for everything else that doesn't fit into those other categories. It is a pitiful state of musical inbreeding and deprivation, presided over by a music industry that is more cynical and dollar driven than at any other time in history.

Now, the way I see it, it can go two ways from here on: this lack of musical invention I'm talking about will make redundant all these so-called artists because AI will be able to replicate so easily what they do; or it will drive artists and labels to be more creative and inventive to try and get on top of it. In one world we will have AI created art for the masses, and in the other a return to some semblance of sanity and quality. Who knows which will prevail.

In regards to the original post, I was thinking about some related issues today. I was trying to decide whether recreating a high quality version of a vocal (say, one of John's demos) from a low quality original is "fakery". If it is using all the components of John's voice and nothing else, is it still a fake? Or is it restoration? You could argue that if the finished product is indistinguishable from the real thing, it can be called genuine. However, I'm sure many of you will strongly disagree. Me, I'm on the fence about it.

In terms of fakes, the trouble here will come not from the people making the mixes but from bootleggers and anyone else trying to make a profit. The guys who buy these cds instead of downloading are unlikely to be clued up about all the latest fan mixes, so they are ideal targets. However, in the world of fans exchanging things online I feel this is extremely unlikely to be a problem. To create a fake that is convincing requires an incredible amount of effort. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, it was pointed out to me that some of the vocal models for George and Ringo were trained on a few hundred cycles. Yet the vocal model of Paul which has produced the most acclaimed and convincing mixes like I Don't Know was trained on a quarter of a million cycles. That is a hell of a lot of computer time. I just can't see someone going to so much trouble to fool a bunch of internet nerds like us. What would it achieve? There would be no point in exerting such a massive amount of effort just to play a joke. That doesn't mean that someone else won't take such a mix and try to sell it, but there's not a lot of places where you can do that i would think. The cds can only be sold in Japan and anyone trying to sell a "new" McCartney album on ebay would quickly get banned. So aside from a few old time collectors getting burned, i don't think this is going to be any problem. Everyone here who does mixing including myself clearly label and tag their stuff so it won't get mixed up with the regular canon. All my stuff for example has a tag "Demixed by Lord Reith".

At any rate, we are witnessing the birth of a new era right now. It's not just about fake mixes, it's not just about kids using ChatGPT to write essays, and it's not just about crooks using sovits to impersonate your brother on the phone. It's about a revolution in machine learning and AI which will change the world completely at many levels. When quantum computers become usuable and accessible within the next decade some time, machine learning will become exponentially more accurate and that will have even scarier consequences. In the near future our governments and businesses may rule over us with a degree of control which is scarcely imaginable.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Thu May 04, 2023 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

sunnylew wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:02 am One of the replies to the latest post on The Daily Beatle was from Paul's step sister:

Ruth McCartney May 2, 2023 at 4:06 pm
At https://mccartney.ai we are doing exactly the opposite of this. We are creating provenance of true voices and their authenticity, not that Pol needs proof of what he sounds like, but for authors, actors, voice, artists, tribal elders, etc., we have created the verified voice vault, so that we will have digital proof of their voice, Patton and Tom Bruh. Should they ever be the victim of these kind of deep fakes. It just goes to prove that you can no longer believe anything you read, hear or see any more. My lovely Leight stepdad, Jim McCartney used to say “the only thing you can believe in the newspaper is the date and the price“
I think that is a noble cause but destined to failure. This whole business reminds me of when Napster first appeared. It was seismic, and the response of the labels was to try and close it down. They then wasted upwards of a decade chasing their tail before finally realsing that it was a lost cause and that streaming was the new norm.

What they should be doing is creating licenses for voices, to make it all legal before it's too late. Then when somebody uses your voice, you will at least get paid. This way they're not going to get anything and then 20 years from now will finally realise the horse has bolted.
Maccawings

Post by Maccawings »

Golem wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:18 pm I had made this "1974 NEW Demo" and accidentally tricked people on my beatlegs discord, def scary stuff, I'm hoping we have the tools to identify the fakes
hxxps://mega.nz/file/gyQz1LpB#qRoc909NhHoBLkCAN6QLtCE4w1G3grrZ2SH-gZ8psjI

People were fooled by this?
Doug

Post by Doug »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:07 am When i think of the incredible strides that were made in music between about 1940 and 1980 and then I look at the progress made in the past 20+ years, it's clear to me that the music industry has totally lost the plot. From a mainstream point of view, it's just a constant regurgitation of a few themes: the hip hopper blabbing away about depressing crap (really, who wants to listen to verbal diarohea about some guy's personal life?); the warbling diva trying to cram dozens of notes into one syllable while moaning about men; sampled hooks and riffs from old songs used to form the basis of new ones; and the one stock remaining chord sequence (I, V, vi, IV) which constitues the harmonic background for everything else that doesn't fit into those other categories. It is a pitiful state of musical inbreeding and deprivation, presided over by a music industry that is more cynical and dollar driven than at any other time in history.
It's so sad. Good grief, I'm old enough to remember the excitement when each new Beatles album would come out. I still get a thrill out of hunting for new music, but now it's really just hunting for "old music," really - buying boxes of random 45s from the 1950's or '60's, and occasionally running into something awesome I've never heard before. As for whatever's come out from anyone "new" in the last 50 years... I just couldn't be bothered. I've heard enough to believe there's just nothing of interest for me there - or, if there is, it's so deeply buried in a sea of sonic dross that it would be impossible to find. So, while I can still get my musical fix going back into the past, it's mind-blowing how quickly the artform died and that there really is no viable present and hasn't been for a long time.

Sadly, I see this happening with our shared passion as well. New material on bootlegs is virtually non-existent (particularly since HMC stopped releasing product). So the urge to collect moved onto acquiring the "ultimate copy" of the core material (since degraded into pretending there's something of value on dubs of old tapes), and then the excitement of DES (which, when well done, IS more a restoration than something fake), but now this A.I. nonsense... ugh. If pretending we're excited about this kind of stuff is the "next big thing," it's truly over (thankfully, it looks like the predominant sentiment on the boards is "stop this crap"). Unfortunately, we all know it's just a matter of time before the "new" "Eleanor Rigby" demo pops up on some Japanese CD somewhere, just like many of the fan-made DES mixes have.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Doug wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:28 am It's so sad. Good grief, I'm old enough to remember the excitement when each new Beatles album would come out. I still get a thrill out of hunting for new music, but now it's really just hunting for "old music," really - buying boxes of random 45s from the 1950's or '60's, and occasionally running into something awesome I've never heard before. As for whatever's come out from anyone "new" in the last 50 years... I just couldn't be bothered. I've heard enough to believe there's just nothing of interest for me there - or, if there is, it's so deeply buried in a sea of sonic dross that it would be impossible to find. So, while I can still get my musical fix going back into the past, it's mind-blowing how quickly the artform died and that there really is no viable present and hasn't been for a long time.
I find myself using streaming to find old music I have never heard. I think the rewards are likely to be greater than looking amongst new music. For example, I've heard bits of Creedence throughout my life but only now have come to realise what a great band they were. And while none of these bands I investigate have a dozen albums where 75% of the tracks are potential singles like The Beatles did, I can usually muster up an albums worth of top songs from their canon.

I have tried reading recommendations on Steve Hoffman but usually the stuff people rave about leaves me scratching my head. You really need someone with your own taste to suggest, and the likelihood then is that they already like all the same bands as you. I also tried Pandora... what a fricking joke that was! :lol:
Sadly, I see this happening with our shared passion as well. New material on bootlegs is virtually non-existent (particularly since HMC stopped releasing product). So the urge to collect moved onto acquiring the "ultimate copy" of the core material (since degraded into pretending there's something of value on dubs of old tapes), and then the excitement of DES (which, when well done, IS more a restoration than something fake), but now this A.I. nonsense... ugh. If pretending we're excited about this kind of stuff is the "next big thing," it's truly over (thankfully, it looks like the predominant sentiment on the boards is "stop this crap"). Unfortunately, we all know it's just a matter of time before the "new" "Eleanor Rigby" demo pops up on some Japanese CD somewhere, just like many of the fan-made DES mixes have.
There has never been much new audio since the 90s though. Most of the stuff in the last 20 years has been solo or video. Very little unbooted audio.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Ziggy C wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:42 pm Again, this whole specter of AI scares the hell out of me. the AI phenomenon goes straight into witchcraft and devil worship. It simply should not be done. Ever. It is a fool who thinks they can dabble in it and create something wholesome and pure.
This distinction will rapidly become lost, buried, unimportant even.
The world ain't ready for this sh&t. In our lifetimes we will never be ready.
I guess the press kit bio won't be needed.
Blurring the lines...IS the gimmick!
The illusion is the Art. Not revelatory by any means.
And, now the illusion is a real...monster.
Is that really a surprise? Is the industry even real? Or, is everything extruded from a multi pronged illusion?
Any copy of Billboard magazine will exact that notion. I'm not going to stop liking music just because I discover the entire scene is a scripted act. That just means they're great actors. If I like a song and it's by a person I've seen in concert, it doesn't mean the music isn't AI. If it's by a fictitious rock band from a TV show satirizing The Beatles in their early movies, they can still have radio hits and sell their real copies that they did write or even songs they played on but didn't write. Some of them might be AI but that's called editing and some of them might not. But, they're all created to blur the lines. So, I'm just going to enjoy the music until I hear something clever. It might even be new in unforeseen ways. If it's AI, you don't have to believe it. I mean why would you? They've admitted to it. And The Monkees in concert were the same actors from the TV show pretending to be the fictitious group from the TV show who might have mimed their instruments but still had Don Kirshner removed from the show due to artistic differences of opinion. And Davy Jones was on the Feb 9, 1964 Ed Sullivan show. So, he might have been psychic or just acting but, he must have been a BenFrank's kind of Horse Jockey...Et Cetera! Blurrrrrr. Liiiiiines. Illusion. Enjoyment, all at random via an advert in Variety or on Mathew Street. When you know you like it, it won't matter who created it. There's no way to verify. So, we're back at the beginning...it all runs on confidence anyway. The worst thing that could happen? That EVERYBODY masters the realm, and ALL of the music is better than anything in history. Sounds dangerous. We better risk it! And, make sure the 'Jam' switch is on.
KC
Doug

Post by Doug »

A.I. is to music as a love doll is to a woman. Some people might enjoy staring at a blank, white wall, too... that doesn't make it art, that just makes them deficient.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:07 am In regards to the original post, I was thinking about some related issues today. I was trying to decide whether recreating a high quality version of a vocal (say, one of John's demos) from a low quality original is "fakery". If it is using all the components of John's voice and nothing else, is it still a fake? Or is it restoration? You could argue that if the finished product is indistinguishable from the real thing, it can be called genuine. However, I'm sure many of you will strongly disagree. Me, I'm on the fence about it.
I keep finding moments where I'm on he fence and I try to make logic of it. Is it a restoration if what is restores is fake, as opposed to filtering an original? If I buy repro parts for a '64 Impala, is it really restored? Maybe. But an Impala isn't a person or artist, and certainly not one who has a voice to say "stop that, it's rude." So I fall on the side of preserving the voice that can't speak its opinion anymore. John and George can't offer their opinion, so it seems disrespectful to treat their voices as something that can just be recreated. It's all moot I guess. The cat is out of the bag and all I can do it tube it out. If I could, I would block the AI sub-category. I just don't want to go there.
CostaRica2022

Post by CostaRica2022 »

NEWS ALERT! Better check the news because the WH announced today that they have put K Harris 'in charge' of monitoring, etc. AI development.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

CostaRica2022 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:38 pm NEWS ALERT! Better check the news because the WH announced today that they have put K Harris 'in charge' of monitoring, etc. AI development.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: