A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

ruedabeat

Re: A Future Word of Caution - A.I. Generated Music & Vocal Models

Post by ruedabeat »

johnlennon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:45 am If the influx of poorly-automated colorizations and automated stereo separators haven't plagued the internet enough – we've an incredible breakthrough in what the average computer user can do with a recording of their favorite artist. In my opinion – it'll quickly transform the music industry and the value we put on artists' talent.

While this might've been easier to discern from a genuine recording – it's important not to be duped as this technology improves. However, one can't also help but marvel at how incredibly amazing the possibilities are. I've already been seeing some great things done with the Lost Lennon Tapes series floating around the internet :D
Sounds Great, but I have a question: was the scratch also generated using AI ? :shock:
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Engonoceras wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:12 pm Yeah, this is going to be massively abused by people trying to sell fake tapes and acetates.
Rarities?
File under: The end of Provenance!
(and, Pedigree)
(and, consumer interest)
(and, and, and, ironically, 'LOVE')
KC
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Again, this whole specter of AI scares the hell out of me. We can already see where this is spreading, what with all the fake reworking of songs and demos to create exciting new versions. Which, IMO, next to the sacrilege of demixing and remixing (thus creating an infinite number of bootlegs (yes, I know there has been a lot of good stuff that has come out of just this tech....and believe me, I am trying not to knock those who have been doing it so far,...just please continue with me on this thought...,)) the AI phenomenon goes straight into witchcraft and devil worship. It simply should not be done. Ever. It is a fool who thinks they can dabble in it and create something wholesome and pure.

Consider that in this forum, at least so far, those who have dabbled and played with AI tech have been kind enough to do so, offer it up, step back and say, "Hey! Look what I made!"

In a short time, possibly even minutes, people will dabble, play, offer it up, and then step back and say, "Hey! Look what I found!"

This distinction will rapidly become lost, buried, unimportant even.

No, we should not be doing the AI thing. It is an awfully slippery slope down which more than a few have already slid. The world ain't ready for this sh&t. In our lifetimes we will never be ready. This next-gen stuff is truly for the folks several gens out who have yet to be imagined in their great-great-grandparents loins.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

quigatolah wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:10 pm
johnlennon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:45 am the music industry and ....... artists' talent.

Too late.

"Music industry" and "artist" became mutually exclusive terms long ago.
Unless you have lots of time to search for the needle in the haystack,
you will find little art coming from the music industry.

While you will find plenty of competent performers in the music industry
they are put to work producing more of "what sells".

The movie industry is in the same state.
I left the entire quote...But consider the single bold line. The music industry has a recurring cycle of eating itself this way. It didn't start in the 50's,...nay, long before,...but it's easier for me to talk about that. We had the originals (Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis, etc.) giving way to manufactured stars (Fabian, Pat Boone, Paul Anka, etc.) which polluted the airwaves through the early 60's. We had another wave of originals (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc.) giving way to the faux stuff of the mid-late 60's (Monkees, bubblegum, 1910 Fruitgum, etc.) And again, we had some great original hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.) give way to industry-created drek. The cycle repeats and repeats, and more and more frequently. It is the nature of the music industry to glom on to the latest trend and exploit the "f" out of it. Thus the artists created BY the music industry are not really artists at all.

Up to today when there is so little in the way of art or artists in the newer music constantly foisted upon us that the music industry is bereft of everything except pure greed. It makes me ill that art in music is not cherished by those who are seemingly tasked with bringing it to the masses.

I have a friend, probably in his late 60's, early 70's now. He goes to several shows a week. Most of them by bands I've never heard of. Probably will never hear of most of them because they fly under the radar, but have enough of a buzz to bring people to their shows. This guy saw Jimi, he saw Led Zeppelin multiple times. He's in The Last Waltz in the audience because he went to that show. He saw Paul's Amoeba gig. He regularly goes to the Stones' secret tour kick-off club dates in LA. Howard the "Dancing Man." A great friend. He's the only one who I would trust to steer me towards something that's even remotely art-worthy.

All of the drek churned out by the music industry is crap. I haven't listened to the radio or even cared about Grammies or anything for decades now because there is simply nothing there anymore. The scourge of AI will make this exponentially worse. I can't bear to think of my ears being assaulted bu the un-music of a thousand AI Beyonce's.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

johnlennon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:45 am I've already been seeing some great things done with the Lost Lennon Tapes series floating around the internet :D
please inform! :)
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Ziggy C wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:03 pm We had the originals (Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis, etc.) giving way to manufactured stars (Fabian, Pat Boone, Paul Anka, etc.) which polluted the airwaves through the early 60's.
To be fair, "the originals" were already regurgitating hits. See Chuck Berry's School Days and No Particular Place To Go as a prime example.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

bobzilla wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:46 pm
Ziggy C wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:03 pm We had the originals (Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis, etc.) giving way to manufactured stars (Fabian, Pat Boone, Paul Anka, etc.) which polluted the airwaves through the early 60's.
To be fair, "the originals" were already regurgitating hits. See Chuck Berry's School Days and No Particular Place To Go as a prime example.
Fair enough...Chuck Berry, for many of his rockers, employed the same chords and the same changes, albeit occasionally with altered syncopation.
And Led Zeppelin was anything but original through the first few albums. But neither was a manufactured nor a targeted product.
Maccawings

Post by Maccawings »

While the future may holding interesting results, I haven't heard much of anything to date worth much. A whole lot of hype and close to zero results IMO. While they may be fun to hear down the line, I doubt that they will replace the official recordings for me. We'll see if AI can change my mind
Golem

Post by Golem »

I had made this "1974 NEW Demo" and accidentally tricked people on my beatlegs discord, def scary stuff, I'm hoping we have the tools to identify the fakes
hxxps://mega.nz/file/gyQz1LpB#qRoc909Nh ... SH-gZ8psjI
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

Golem wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:18 pm I had made this "1974 NEW Demo" and accidentally tricked people on my beatlegs discord, def scary stuff, I'm hoping we have the tools to identify the fakes
It looks like the McCartney family are already onto it.

One of the replies to the latest post on The Daily Beatle was from Paul's step sister:

Ruth McCartney May 2, 2023 at 4:06 pm
At https://mccartney.ai we are doing exactly the opposite of this. We are creating provenance of true voices and their authenticity, not that Pol needs proof of what he sounds like, but for authors, actors, voice, artists, tribal elders, etc., we have created the verified voice vault, so that we will have digital proof of their voice, Patton and Tom Bruh. Should they ever be the victim of these kind of deep fakes. It just goes to prove that you can no longer believe anything you read, hear or see any more. My lovely Leight stepdad, Jim McCartney used to say “the only thing you can believe in the newspaper is the date and the price“