Hey, a new sub-board!

sunnylew

Re: Hey, a new sub-board!

Post by sunnylew »

I've trained on some recordings of my grandfather into a good mic, and used them on poor recordings from skype calls with moderate success so far.

On the plus side, the Skype calls sound just like the well recorded interviews, and just like him. On the minus, there is a lot less articulation in the new version and his voice comes off as mumbling or slurring for the sharper consonants. This could be the settings I'm using, or the amount of training needs to be higher. When I get a chance I plan to experiment with adjusting the source to accentuate the consonants and see if that comes through more clearly.

It's remarkable how well it works in terms of timbre and ambience. An earlier attempt with material recorded on another day very faithfully replicated the sound of the Air Conditioner in the background throughout.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Hi all,
I’ve read the comments posted in this thread and generally agree with about all of them :lol:

* I don’t really care for AI mixes either. For now they are kind of creative oddities. I feel the same way about most fan remixes too. Some remixers stand out but generally arent my main interest. I like the idea of people being able to post and get feedback and improve their skills though and it overall is positive for the community.

* I don’t want AI posts filling up the recent topics but I’ll hold off on any changes to those settings for now until we see where it goes.

* No one is forcing anyone into reading or downloading anything, so ya know, feel free to ignore it if you’re not interested.

I think any post with AI content should include an [AI] prefix, in addition to being located in the sub. It should help clarify search results as well.

Thanks and ✌️
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

WilliamShears wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:09 am I think any post with AI content should include an [AI] prefix, in addition to being located in the sub. It should help clarify search results as well.

Thanks and ✌️
Yeah that's a really good idea.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Last edited by Lord Reith on Wed May 03, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Other than the McCartney "I Don't Know" I'm not hearing any keepers or anything I would listen to more than once out of curiosity,
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:35 am Other than the McCartney "I Don't Know" I'm not hearing any keepers or anything I would listen to more than once out of curiosity,
I Don't Know is very good I agree, but this is very early in the game and there'll be a steep learning curve for most people. I think within a few months we'll be getting some really good stuff.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:07 am
Engonoceras wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:35 am Other than the McCartney "I Don't Know" I'm not hearing any keepers or anything I would listen to more than once out of curiosity,
I Don't Know is very good I agree, but this is very early in the game and there'll be a steep learning curve for most people. I think within a few months we'll be getting some really good stuff.
This is still pre-game!
By half-time, all will be convinced.
The problems won't be obvious immediately...
But, this may be the end of provenance.
Or, worse?
(...pedigree...)
Artists in the music industry? We don't even use producers anymore.
Remember, no response is a response.
When do we get AI lyrics?
(DON'T tell me!)
Thanks, for your time.
KC
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

Just found this section. I’ve been thinking about this AI stuff a lot in the last week. I’ve been wondering if this tech can enhance some of the Lennon demos to bring out is voice more, get rid of sounds like dying batteries. Could it bring out George’s vocals in Crying Waiting Hoping from the Get Back sessions.
cdrtrade

Post by cdrtrade »

theboxinargentina wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:57 pm
urasam2 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:16 am I don't know what you mean by "the real thing". You don't seem to have a problem with fan made remixes - those are surely not "the real thing", so I don't see the harm in taking it a step further. Personally, I am loving the current spate of "AI Paul" songs. Sure, most are not very good but there are some genuine delights, and I am deriving a lot of pleasure in being able to hear them.
I'm having flashbacks to decades ago when certain others were telling me, with a religious fervor, that the Beatles SHOULD NOT EVER be remixed.
I'm going to try not to get into it this time with the "yelling at clouds" people.
I think those people were right. Giles Martin remixes are TERRIBLE !! Long after I’m gone someone will come along and re-do them all right.
bsizzy_27

Post by bsizzy_27 »

cdrtrade wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:38 am
theboxinargentina wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:57 pm
urasam2 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:16 am I don't know what you mean by "the real thing". You don't seem to have a problem with fan made remixes - those are surely not "the real thing", so I don't see the harm in taking it a step further. Personally, I am loving the current spate of "AI Paul" songs. Sure, most are not very good but there are some genuine delights, and I am deriving a lot of pleasure in being able to hear them.
I'm having flashbacks to decades ago when certain others were telling me, with a religious fervor, that the Beatles SHOULD NOT EVER be remixed.
I'm going to try not to get into it this time with the "yelling at clouds" people.
I think those people were right. Giles Martin remixes are TERRIBLE !! Long after I’m gone someone will come along and re-do them all right.
I quite like the remixes, actually... gives me a new appreciation for the albums.