"Vertical Man" turns 25 this year!!!

I don't play bass 'cause that's too hard for me...
dascottjr

"Vertical Man" turns 25 this year!!!

Post by dascottjr »

Sure, "Ringo" is turning 50, but let's focus on this one, which was also a star-studded affair, and arguably one of his all-time best.

I really enjoyed this album when it came out. (I was in college at the time.) I remember putting it onto a cassette, with Vertical Man on one side, and Flaming Pie on the other, listening to the tape in my car numerous times that year and the next. Sadly, I doubt we'll see a reissue for it this year. I'd at least like to see it get a vinyl release, since it's one of four Ringo albums (along with Ringo Rama, Choose Love, and Liverpool 8) that has **never** been put out as a vinyl LP!!!

I'd love to hear all of your memories of (and thoughts on) this album as well. Did you like it? What did you think of the B-sides? What's your opinion on Ringo's period with Mark Hudson in general? What favorite bootlegs from this period do you have?
MUR

Re: "Vertical Man" turns 25 this year!!!

Post by MUR »

One of my favorite albums (along with TTT and RR). All B-sides are awesome! It's the first Ringo solo album I listened since I became a beatlefan.
I love the Hudson period and don't like non-Hudson ones; it's a great pity they parted.
I'd love to see different bootlegs of that time! (maybe except All-Starr-band ones).
Searching hard for missing Silent Hills, Non Plus Ultra, WWII, Xavel, Shakuntala sets, fresh Misterclaudel/Valkyrie/Piccadilly.
Also searching hard for FAB CD / DVD releases (solo ones are priority). Ready to trade FAB DVDs with those who trades.
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

My favourite Ringo album. As good as "Ringo".
The Hudson-style production was something new then and was very pleasant to my ear. But I think it became too heavy, too "I want to sound like the Beatles" in the following albums, too many backing vocals, too many overdubs. Also most of the songs were very strong on "Vertical Man", which was not the case on "Ringo Rama" and "Choose Love" (although I LOVE "Free Drinks"). And "Vertical Man" has Paul and Ringo on it, what more can you ask for ?

Oh, and the numerous "B-sides" are also very good.

And I also listened to it a lot in my car on a tape I made...
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Wow... Already 25?

This is an album I really enjoyed and enjoy. I had a website at the time and I put a special "Vertical page" on. A friend of mine said I had done more to promote the album than the record company! :lol:

Those were pretty exciting times in general. I was beginning my career, with lots of new challenges everyday day; Brazil seemed to be in its best time economically and for the only time in my life I wasn´t really worried about this subject; I was still newly in love with my wife to be; internet was still somewhat a novelty, and the then recent apparition of international stores allowed me for the first time to be up to date with new releases, which had always been a problem in Brazil - and still is, as a matter of fact. "Vertical man" benefited greatly from this new condition, and I got a lot of different editions from different stores, with all the bonus material.

My first copy arrived on july 12, 1998, during the World Cup final. My family was all gathered to watch the match, as we often do in Brazil, sort of a party. They were all surprised by Ronaldo fiasco, but all I had was eyes to my new CD.

The album of course is one of Ringo´s best; actually one the best by an ex-beatle, I´d say. It´s vibrant, colorful, extremely well produced, masterfully played, wonderfully sounding and full of great tracks with amazing guest appearances by a lot of our favorite artists. I love it. Really.

(P.S.
Out of curiosity, I could still find some of my old website online!
https://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/st ... index.html
Pretty exciting times!)
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

I remember your site, Billy, and your Billy Bootleg cds. :D
Ale.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Alessandro Rocchi wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:40 am I remember your site, Billy, and your Billy Bootleg cds. :D
<3

That´s very nice to know!

Those were such exciting times! Until them, loving the Beatles was like being alone in paradise. After the internet, making new friends, discovering new stuff, creating those CDs, it was all very magical.

I feel so privileged and grateful that the adventures continues!