Live Peace In Toronto (expanded) & Singles & Home Tapes (expanded) [Voo-Doo]

Wherever you are, you are here…
MUR

Re: Live Peace In Toronto (expanded) & Singles & Home Tapes (expanded) [Voo-Doo]

Post by MUR »

Lupine Assassin wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:41 pm I was out of town last week, can you please re-up both of these? Thank you. :)
reup
hxxps://we.tl/t-behDWGiDUR
Searching hard for missing Silent Hills, Non Plus Ultra, WWII, Xavel, Shakuntala sets, fresh Misterclaudel/Valkyrie/Piccadilly.
Also searching hard for FAB CD / DVD releases (solo ones are priority). Ready to trade FAB DVDs with those who trades.
Lupine Assassin

Re: Live Peace In Toronto (expanded) & Singles & Home Tapes (expanded) [Voo-Doo]

Post by Lupine Assassin »

Thank you! :)
We all bleed blue from the inside....
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you for the re-ups.....
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Golem wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:47 pm I hate this bootleg with a passion
Why? Just wondering.
Golem

Post by Golem »

just such a useless package, combining Toronto with tracks that have nothing to do with it really exemplifes how silly some of these expanded editions are, they clearly didn't have anything else to add, so they said "f*ck it, it doesn't matter", why make a bootleg if its just a comp of random content that's already easy to find in better presentation.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Golem wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:44 am just such a useless package, combining Toronto with tracks that have nothing to do with it really exemplifes how silly some of these expanded editions are, they clearly didn't have anything else to add, so they said "f*ck it, it doesn't matter", why make a bootleg if its just a comp of random content that's already easy to find in better presentation.
Totally disagree with you on this. For a start, VooDoo included the first ever transfer of the vinyl version of this album from his own needle drop.

As for ‘they said, ‘f*ck it doesn’t matter’, there’s nothing further from the truth. VooDoo always felt that official releases such as the demos/ singles double set that came with the Lennon album box short changed buyers by randomly sequencing tracks and not taking the opportunity to use the space on compact discs. His sets are always intelligently compiled and utilise the best sources, often derived from his own transfers and always the result of much hard work both in terms of content and packaging.

The additional material here includes the Zappa mix of the Fillmore show and the best source for the Elton John 1974 encore set. Further, VooDoo explains in his notes for this disc that there was sufficient space left to include a studio take that hadn’t been previously compiled. It’s a great, listenable, collection.

You’re entitled to your views but some of the aspersions you make are very wide of the mark. VooDoo was one of the best things that happened to B/Z and his work still stands a high watermark in terms of what could be done.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Bumblebee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 pm
Golem wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:44 am just such a useless package, combining Toronto with tracks that have nothing to do with it really exemplifes how silly some of these expanded editions are, they clearly didn't have anything else to add, so they said "f*ck it, it doesn't matter", why make a bootleg if its just a comp of random content that's already easy to find in better presentation.
Totally disagree with you on this. For a start, VooDoo included the first ever transfer of the vinyl version of this album from his own needle drop.

As for ‘they said, ‘f*ck it doesn’t matter’, there’s nothing further from the truth. VooDoo always felt that official releases such as the demos/ singles double set that came with the Lennon album box short changed buyers by randomly sequencing tracks and not taking the opportunity to use the space on compact discs. His sets are always intelligently compiled and utilise the best sources, often derived from his own transfers and always the result of much hard work both in terms of content and packaging.

The additional material here includes the Zappa mix of the Fillmore show and the best source for the Elton John 1974 encore set. Further, VooDoo explains in his notes for this disc that there was sufficient space left to include a studio take that hadn’t been previously compiled. It’s a great, listenable, collection.

You’re entitled to your views but some of the aspersions you make are very wide of the mark. VooDoo was one of the best things that happened to B/Z and his work still stands a high watermark in terms of what could be done.
I don't know, you're entitled to your opinion, to call it a great watermark is a bit silly though. I admire his work for UAC (they aren't perfect but they're a good collection of tracks that would otherwise be hard to find or at least compile together), but these sets are practically glorified bootleg playlists. I'm not saying these playlists can't be useful to some people, but they stand really as nothing more than a "best of bootleg set" (I mean the Live Peace one doesn't have any bootleg content as its all official, so almost worse there). I don't know how you can call it a high watermark when this doesn't really add anything more than a different order of tracks than normal. If this bootleg were to be deleted from existence, it simply wouldn't matter, and no actual content would be lost.

I wouldn't usually be annoyed by a set like this (I mean a lot of this site is recycled content, and people seem to enjoy it), but it annoys me how he adds bonus content from 2 years after, like this is somehow a bonus to the album, it isn't relevant to the album, and including them is either a trick to those who don't understand the context behind the bonus tracks, or simply an insult to those who thought this bootleg would actually have bonus material for Live Peace. It's silly to me to make an expanded edition of an album where there is not bonus material that could have been added. (I mean, tbf they could have included the audience recording as a bonus, or included both mixes, that would have been a worthwhile set)
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Golem wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:45 pm

I don't know, you're entitled to your opinion, to call it a great watermark is a bit silly though. I admire his work for UAC (they aren't perfect but they're a good collection of tracks that would otherwise be hard to find or at least compile together), but these sets are practically glorified bootleg playlists. I'm not saying these playlists can't be useful to some people, but they stand really as nothing more than a "best of bootleg set" (I mean the Live Peace one doesn't have any bootleg content as its all official, so almost worse there). I don't know how you can call it a high watermark when this doesn't really add anything more than a different order of tracks than normal. If this bootleg were to be deleted from existence, it simply wouldn't matter, and no actual content would be lost.

I wouldn't usually be annoyed by a set like this (I mean a lot of this site is recycled content, and people seem to enjoy it), but it annoys me how he adds bonus content from 2 years after, like this is somehow a bonus to the album, it isn't relevant to the album, and including them is either a trick to those who don't understand the context behind the bonus tracks, or simply an insult to those who thought this bootleg would actually have bonus material for Live Peace. It's silly to me to make an expanded edition of an album where there is not bonus material that could have been added. (I mean, tbf they could have included the audience recording as a bonus, or included both mixes, that would have been a worthwhile set)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I wasn’t specifically referring to the Toronto disc as a high watermark but was using this in respect of VooDoos overall contribution to the B/Z community. Sorry if this wasn’t clear and that it’s resulted in you thinking I am silly.

Your comments on the Paul McCartney UAC sets that VooDoo made are interesting. It’s a shame that you were unable to share your opinions and knowledge with him at the time he made the discs as this may have improved them. The sets are still easily available via this forum so you could always revise them and make them better - who knows, you may even be able to elevate them above being mere playlists.

Your view that it would not matter if VooDoos Toronto Disc did not exist is puzzling. The original album mix of this record was approved by John, when it was subsequently issued on CD it was remixed - this means that Johns approved mix is only available on the vinyl. VooDoo was kind enough to make this mix available via a needle drop of a clean vinyl copy that he made. You seem to have a cavalier attitude to Johns work if you believe that it doesn’t matter that the original mix is not available digitally (on the basis of VooDoos needle drop being the best source for this mix and being the basis of other releases of it).

You are also again making unwarranted and inaccurate ascertains about VooDoo by saying that the addition of non Toronto material is somehow ‘a trick’. Why would he use a trick? It’s not like he’s set to gain financially from this set because he didn’t sell it. Further, it’s not in the league of (say) Magic Bus - the Who on Tour or the Jolly What Beatles/Frank Ifield records both of which used titles that suggested something other than what they were. I have had email exchanges with VooDoo outside of B/Z and can attest that what I knew/know of him is that he neither used tricks nor had the approach of ‘f*ck it doesn’t matter’ (quite the opposite in fact, it clearly did matter to him).

Your comments that the additional material was not relevant to the disc are also puzzling. Do you know what VooDoo was aiming to achieve when he put that disc together? Was he collating a disc of unavailable/ hard to get Lennon live recordings or was he trying to put a disc out suggesting that the Toronto performance was actually 80 minutes long and included guest appearances by Frank Zappa and Elton John? You might was to consider that the 1972 Fillmore tracks that so irk you were the different mix sourced from Franks Playground Psychotics and not those from STINYC, and that the EJ 1974 tracks were not taken from the Lennon 4CD box - which used noise reduction.

Thanks again for responding. Your postings are never less than entertaining.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Your comments on the Paul McCartney UAC sets that VooDoo made are interesting. It’s a shame that you were unable to share your opinions and knowledge with him at the time he made the discs as this may have improved them. The sets are still easily available via this forum so you could always revise them and make them better - who knows, you may even be able to elevate them above being mere playlists.
I was referring to the sets outside of UAC when in the first paragraph, again I think his UAC is pretty good, and while yeah there could be minor improvements, its still a great set with lots of thought put in, and stands out as more than just a playlist to me.
Bumblebee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 pm Your view that it would not matter if VooDoos Toronto Disc did not exist is puzzling. The original album mix of this record was approved by John, when it was subsequently issued on CD it was remixed - this means that Johns approved mix is only available on the vinyl. VooDoo was kind enough to make this mix available via a needle drop of a clean vinyl copy that he made. You seem to have a cavalier attitude to Johns work if you believe that it doesn’t matter that the original mix is not available digitally (on the basis of VooDoos needle drop being the best source for this mix and being the basis of other releases of it).
The original mix is really not uncommon, and there are great rips available elsewhere, but fair, I suppose it is nice to have this as another source.
Bumblebee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 pm You are also again making unwarranted and inaccurate ascertains about VooDoo by saying that the addition of non Toronto material is somehow ‘a trick’. Why would he use a trick?
Never said he was trying to trick people, just that if you're uninformed on the tracks that it may trick you into identifying them with the Live Peace concert when infact they have no relation
Bumblebee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 pm Was he collating a disc of unavailable/ hard to get Lennon live recordings or was he trying to put a disc out suggesting that the Toronto performance was actually 80 minutes long and included guest appearances by Frank Zappa and Elton John? You might was to consider that the 1972 Fillmore tracks that so irk you were the different mix sourced from Franks Playground Psychotics and not those from STINYC, and that the EJ 1974 tracks were not taken from the Lennon 4CD box - which used noise reduction.
I'm not sure, these tracks are very common so it's def not the first one. I assume his attempt was just to replicate his other expanded sets by adding extra material relevant to the album, but that's not really what has been done here. Whatever his intentions, I don't think these tracks are relevant enough to Live Peace to include them as bonus material for the album.
Bumblebee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 pm Thanks again for responding. Your postings are never less than entertaining.
No problem, I'm glad we can at least be civil even though we disagree
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

a repost of Toronto Voo-Doo would be really really really appreciated thanks :oops: