John Lennon Sessions (Multiple Labels)

Wherever you are, you are here…
Gredel21

Re: John Lennon Misterclaudel Sessions (With Updates)

Post by Gredel21 »

looks awesome - alot of research imdeed
Pink Pajamas

Post by Pink Pajamas »

Thank you !
Golem

Post by Golem »

So I've been considering changing the dates around a bit for Some Time In New York City

- I want to move the start date a bit later, this would sadly mean the Zappa concert would go in Imagine, instead of STINYC like would be ideal (this isn't too big a deal since the other live stuff from the set is already in the POB set, and some rock and roll stuff is split between mind games and walls and bridges), however, this would mean the Yoko Fly stuff would be able to go fully in imagine (where it belongs), and I'd get to put grapefruit in Imagine too, which is nice since that's what imagine is based on. I'd then start STINYC on the Clock Soundtrack, where the first New York City demo was recorded

- I want to include the One to One Concert into the STINYC set, it would be sad to not have a separate set for it, and it may make the current set take slightly longer to make, but it would let approximately infinite universe fit in STINYC where it belongs. It would also be a bit more cohesive as the One to One demos (which most people probably wouldn't realize are for one to one) and the Jerry Lewis telethon would fit more at home in the STINYC set. Plus this would add a bit more to the set, which is nice because I feel it needs a bit more content.

What do you guys think? I've been struggling with this one, STINYC is a lot more nebulous of a period, and it wasn't really produced like the other albums were, so it's a hard choice either way. I usually ask my discord server questions like these (and I have) but I feel like you guys might be able to give some useful insight as well
Jukka

Post by Jukka »

I hope that you put out some stuff as soon as possible.
I have been transfering old John Lennon Bootleg CDs to my computer's HD.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I think the Zappa stuff really needs to go with STINYC for no other reason than Imagine was recorded in England at Ascot. Zappa is very much attached in my mind to New York, and I just don't see it as part of the Imagine period. 1-2-1, yes, that goes fine in my view, as do the other live bits and pieces from 1971-2. In fact everything done in America prior to the start of Mind Games could go together, in my humble.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Mr Bump wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:14 pm I think the Zappa stuff really needs to go with STINYC for no other reason than Imagine was recorded in England at Ascot. Zappa is very much attached in my mind to New York, and I just don't see it as part of the Imagine period. 1-2-1, yes, that goes fine in my view, as do the other live bits and pieces from 1971-2. In fact everything done in America prior to the start of Mind Games could go together, in my humble.
thanks for your opinion! I was considering it because the 1969 live stuff is on STINYC (albiet it did get overdubs in 71) and that's going on the Plastic Ono Band set, so putting zappa on imagine wouldn't be to far off from that, but I can see how it would be weird. The other annoying part about putting Zappa in STINYC tho, is that Imagine overdubs where done a month after, meaning I would have to switch the order of the concert and overdubs, making it not chronological. I guess I'll have to think it over more.
Nihonjin

Post by Nihonjin »

I don’t see any reason why Zappa shouldn’t go in IMAGINE. The Zappa concert took place literally days after John had finished the basic tracks on IMAGINE, and well before any of the New York recordings for FLY (which does fit very well with IMAGINE). I can’t imagine arguing that it could go anywhere else.
JohnMiller

Post by JohnMiller »

Thanks! :)
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Nihonjin wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:53 pm I don’t see any reason why Zappa shouldn’t go in IMAGINE. The Zappa concert took place literally days after John had finished the basic tracks on IMAGINE, and well before any of the New York recordings for FLY (which does fit very well with IMAGINE). I can’t imagine arguing that it could go anywhere else.
For me it's not so much a question of dates as of context. Date-wise I would agree it's close to Imagine, but right at that point Lennon emigrated to New York, and never went back to the UK. In my mind that's a clear dividing line and Zappa is the start of his New York period, more closesly associated with what he shortly did with David Peel, Elephant's Memory and so on, than with Tittenhurst Park.

It's just personal perception I guess, no right or wrong. You can look at it either way I guess.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Context = Continent that Harry Nilsson is on.
It's a great debate going here.
When John hit New York...he was no longer a Brit.
It matters. Anytime after Imagine, is AFTER Imagine.
Filing Yoko with John is always 'Unfinished'.
Thanks, for the great discourse.
KC