Eddie Cochran - Stereo remixes (by khundalini)

General music and other artist discussions.
Peter231254

Re: Eddie Cochran - Stereo remixes (by khundalini)

Post by Peter231254 »

Really great these stereo remixes! My favorite - the Memorial album, powerful and consistently great, THANK YOU for that!
khundalini

Post by khundalini »

khundalini wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:03 am
MarkRJones1970 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:48 pm These are great! I downloaded the disc with the 'Boy Meets Girl' TV show, one of my fav recordings ever. One thing though, there's 2 versions of 'Halleluja, I Love Her So', one from each show and both are different. On your disc there's only 1. Have you STEREOED the other version somewhere?
Your suggestion could lead to a new project bundling all of Eddie's live recordings in England. ;)
For a complete set some recordings are in too bad condition.
But: I've extended "On The Air" with all recordings for Saturday Club recorded on 23.02.60. (Eddies last recordings ever!)
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

khundalini wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:29 pm
For a complete set some recordings are in too bad condition.
But: I've extended "On The Air" with all recordings for Saturday Club recorded on 23.02.60. (Eddies last recordings ever!)
This new version is even better. Not only have you opened up the 'Boy Meets Girl TV' show recordings which I've loved since I was 17 when I bought the 4 (or 5?) LP Eddie boxset but you've massively improved those BBC recordings which, to me, always sounded a bit dead and like they were recorded in a cave! They are 100% more listenable now.

The version of 'C'mon Everybody' from the BMG TV show is my go to version, the fat bass drives it along and it's so heavy for the time. BTW 1 of my best DJin memories was I was DJin in a bar I put this version on, I saw the doorman, who looked like an old ted, clench his fist and shout "Yeahhh! Eddie Cochran". The fella that was running the night then came up to me while it was still playing and said "Where on earth did you get THIS version from?". It sounded great!

This has to be one of my favourite new acquisitions so far this year. Thank you!

P.S. Eddie sounds like he had a bit of a sore throat on those BBC recordings. I hadn't noticed that before. Must be the ravages of being on tour at the same time.
Last edited by MarkRJones1970 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
khundalini

Post by khundalini »

khundalini wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:49 am Advice:
A link to stereo remixes you can find on my private website: see my user profile.
From now on you can also find stereo remixes by Gene Vincent (in the section) and by Buddy Holly (in the future also by others).
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

khundalini wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:28 pm
A link to stereo remixes you can find on my private website: see my user profile.
From now on you can also find stereo remixes by Gene Vincent (in the section) and by Buddy Holly (in the future also by others).
wow! how nice! Buddy Holly, and the other looks great.
Would you do some Shangri-Las ?
khundalini

Post by khundalini »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 am
khundalini wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:28 pm
wow! how nice! Buddy Holly, and the other looks great.
Would you do some Shangri-Las ?
Yes I can! Look for it now!
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Wow this place in your web site is just like paradise! :oops: :o :)
Could you please tell me a bit more about Phil Ochs rarities with John Lennon ?

I have the Purple Chick Shangri-Las set (including the DVD).
Unfortunately, Mister Purple Chick (which I had contacted a while ago) only got some partial studio sessions he put at the very end of this CD (more was available) and he only got it in lossy (although the SQ is damned good)

Do you know this mix (it's fake- a fan mix - but it's nice) ?

The Shangri-La's - Remember (Walking In The Sand) (Extended Custom Mix)

When Chris Stein worked on Blondie's first album, the Shangri-Las influence is all there. As he explains in the book of the Blondie box set.
For instance "In The Flesh" (they also did a cover of "Out In The Streets" during the Stilettoes era) has a longer piano intro which is reminiscent of "Past, Present And Future". Now officially release (this "In The Flesh" with complete intro) on the Blondie box set.
I still wonder what classical music they borrow for "Past, Present And Future". A lot of Blondie song from their first album used spoken voice like on the Shangri-Las (X-Offender for instance)
A lot of Shangri-Las's numbers are as good as Phil Spector early "wall of sound" best production. They sum-up in 3 minutes of pop music the best melodies with some spoken and vocals and put the girlie drama into some Shakespearian-lyrics stratospheric heighst.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

one of my favorite Shangri-Las besides "Past, Present and Future" (love the Shall We Dance? interlude) such a melodrama summarized into a 3 min pop song is "Walking In The Sand". Martin Scorsese used it for a soundtrack and above all Jeff Beck did an amazing guitar solo whilst Imelda May was waking on stage to perform the song (which I bought on blu-ray - what an amazing concert!). Another one of my favorite is "I can never go home anymore" (this is the most dramatic one - love the mamaaaaa harmonies). And Blondie grabbed the "bang! bang" on "Rifle Range" from the "Leader Of The Pack".
I remember I had to wait until the gorgeous RCA box set of Harry Nilsson with tons of rarities came out to discover Harry's original studio recording of "Paradise". This one is co-credited Spector/Nilsson which I did not know whereas The Shangri-Las isn't. Both are pure gem.
khundalini

Post by khundalini »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:05 am Wow this place in your web site is just like paradise! :oops: :o :)
Could you please tell me a bit more about Phil Ochs rarities with John Lennon ?
John Lennon and Phil Ochs met at the Free John Sinclair Rally in Ann Arbor on December 10, 1971.
The night before they played together in the hotel (including the two songs).
Lennon knew Phil Ochs and used him as a model for the concept of "Some Time In New York City".
The idea of the so-called 'newspaper style' comes from Woody Guthrie and the early Phil Ochs, who composed his political songs according to his motto "Every newspaper article is worth a song" and
described himself as a 'singing journalist'.
John also accompanied Phil with his dobro during the concert on the songs "Joe Hill" and "Rythm (or Ringing) Of Revolution". Unfortunately, only "I Ain't Marching Anymore" from Phil Och's performance has survived on film.

"Chords Of Fame" was first released on the bootleg 'Christmas Present', "Ringing Of Revolution" on the fan made bootleg 'Sometime In New York City Sessions' by Golem (as far as I know).
Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:05 am I still wonder what classical music they borrow for "Past, Present And Future".
"Past, Present, Future" is based on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:05 am Do you know this mix (it's fake- a fan mix - but it's nice) ?
I also have Purple Chicks Collection.
It actually offered surprises!

In my opinion, "Walking In The Sand" [long stereo version] (02:55) is the longest official version and a second alternative stereo version.
The version you can find in Youtube (06:06) is a remix of the uploader. He also writes that in his comment!

PS: Your fondness for the old blondie things suits me too.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:05 am I still wonder what classical music they borrow for "Past, Present And Future".

"Past, Present, Future" is based on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
that's the interlude melody ("shall we dance?" that I had in mind). Perhaps a part of "Swan Lake" or a kind of variation around it (not the well-known main theme)
Sure, the piano intro is from Beethoven.
I remember Lennon saying once (or two) that he heard Yoko playing Moonlight Sonata on piano, and asked her to play it backwards;
that's how the melody of "Because" came it to him.