David Crosby dead at 81

General music and other artist discussions.
Fun 4 None

David Crosby dead at 81

Post by Fun 4 None »

Hey Joe, where you going...

With a heavy heart I am sad to say that David Crosby from the Byrds and CSNY has died. He was for many people an icon in the 60s counterculture era and a large inspiration to bands like the Eagles. Crosby pioneered the 65 folk-rock era. He wasn't perfect, and his bandmates certainly will say that, though David always had that charm that kept him going.
A very sad announcement to hear.

We miss you Dave
BeatleG

Re: David Crosby dead at 81

Post by BeatleG »

Thanks for the information, though I guess the nightly news will talk about him, too. They should. Crosby meant a lot to me and rock and roll. He really was important in music and someone who let his 'freak flag fly'. He did some of the best CSN&Y tracks. Much of his work with Nash was great, as well.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

He’s definitely one of those guys that represented the 60’s and we’re losing them at a startling rate lately it seems. His rolling stone Q&As are pretty hilarious if you haven’t seen them…

RIP
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Croz was also a founding member of the Byrds who made great music. RIP CroZ
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Gredel21 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:19 am Croz was also a founding member of the Byrds who made great music. RIP CroZ
Yeah it's crazy to think that only 2 survive now from the original 5 members.
Johnny Kidd Fan Club

Post by Johnny Kidd Fan Club »

My favourite Byrd. Loved his rhythm guitar playing, harmony lines (obviously) and among others he wrote Lady Friend, Renaissance Fair, What's Happening, Draft Morning, Why, I See You....still some of my all time favourites by anyone. His first solo LP is a stunning stoner classic with an all star cast.
Very sad to see him go. RIP Croz.
Jukka

Post by Jukka »

RIP DAVID :(
tdgrnwld

Post by tdgrnwld »

Farewell to one of my brothers in music.
So many brilliant, beautiful, unlike-anything-else songs.
"Guinnevere"
"Deja Vu"
"The Lee Shore"
"Carry Me"
and especially "Laughing"
Echoing Johnny Kidd Fan Club's recommendation of Crosby's first solo album, If Only I Could Remember My Name. It's one of the outstanding albums of the early '70s, worth a listen if you haven't heard it.
He sang a song written by Emily Saliers that I'm listening to today:
Fare thee well my bright star
It was a brief brilliant miracle dive
That which I looked up to and I clung to for dear life
Had to burn itself up just to prove it was alive
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I saw him once in LA. He had his knit hat. Unmistakeable. I didn't get the courage to say hello. Plus there were other contingencies due to the location and the requirements of my job.

That same day, he sat with my good friend after he was checked in to his room, and rapped for a while. My friend got his liver transplant that day. Said Croz was totally cool, friendly, comforting.

This is a cat who will be missed. Aside from breaking a few eggs along the way to make that righteous tasting omelet, Croz was intelligent, well-read, well-lived, had great stories, held no punches (for example, his disdain for The Doors, especially Jimbo.) He was honest and self-deprecating when it came to his sacking from the Byrds and his deteriorated relationships with Nash and Young. His romance with Joni. But he always held out hope. And his voice remained angelic up to the end. One of the only singers (count em on one hand) who could still render his music just as if it had been recorded yesterday. Musically vital to the very end.