Emitt Rhodes: The One Man Beatles (documentary)

General music and other artist discussions.
mojofilter

Emitt Rhodes: The One Man Beatles (documentary)

Post by mojofilter »

Hopefully, everyone on this board knows who Emitt Rhodes is. If not, he was an exceptionally talented multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, arranger, singer, recording engineer and producer. He was first with a group called The Merry-Go-Round, and left them to go solo in 1970. His only radio hit was Fresh As A Daisy, released in December 1970. Many people, including radio personnel, thought that his album was by The Beatles, or Paul McCartney, a comparison that had persisted through his career. Although flattered by the comparison, he was careful to deny any connection to them, other than having been a fan. Emitt was signed to Dunhill Records, and foolishly, he signed a contract that said he would deliver two albums a year for three years. This proved impossible to achieve, because he was doing all the work on them, and they took a lot longer than he indicated that he could deliver. So Dunhill sued him for breach of contract to the tune of $300,000, and withheld his royalties. After his third album, Mirror (1973), Emitt retired from recording, and went for decades as a broken man, kneecapped in his prime by his record label. He had two marriages that went bad, and he became a virtual recluse in his home in Hawthorne, CA with a studio in his garage, where he sporadically recorded songs for his own enjoyment, although he did some outside production and engineering work. Except for a few bonus tracks added to later compilations, and some attempted albums that never panned out, Emitt didn't release another record until 2015.

In 2009, Italian filmmaker Cosimo Messeri discovered his music, and wondered why there was no further music from Emitt after 1973. So he tracked him down with some help from music industry contacts, and made this film. It was screened at The International Rome Film Festival 2009, where it received standing ovations. Emitt died in his sleep on July 19, 2020 at home in Hawthorne. This documentary film about him is on YouTube. I urge you to watch it.

Last edited by mojofilter on Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Re: Emitt Rhodes: The One Man Beatles (documentary)

Post by Lord Reith »

Sound sinteresting, thanks for the heads up.

Sadly the music world is littered with destroyed lives. For every happy ending there is a thousand unhappy endings you never hear about. It's particularly sad when the person is actually very talented.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Thanks for the tip! I´ll watch it.

I think Emitt is a very intriguing figure and an exceptionally talented musician.
ted

Post by ted »

Anyone watch the tail end credits in this special...special thanks to Mary McCartney!

Wonder what she helped on/with in this :?:
tdgrnwld

Post by tdgrnwld »

Just watched. Thanks for this.
I listened a lot to Rhodes' first two albums when they were new. The third one struck me as tired and careless by comparison, which is no wonder.
The final album sounds surprisingly good but I haven't given it a lot of attention.
Listening more recently, I'm impressed by his drumming. The rest is stellar - the heartfelt and melodious songwriting, easy-on-the-ears vocals, tasteful guitar playing, compact and effective arrangements - but one thing that makes those records work so well is the rock-solid drumming.
I've read a few interviews with him in which his depression and bitterness were so intense that it was hard to imagine he was the same thoughtful, perceptive guy who wrote those songs. It's good to see him in a better frame of mind in this film.
As his friend says in the film, apparently he lacked the aggression, ego, and psychological defenses to withstand the insults and attacks that come with being in the music industry. And the industry seems to have done its worst by him.

Here's a clip of him playing songs from his second album Mirror:

Here's Merry Go Round including Rhodes on The Dating Game!
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Emitt was a nice man I was in a facebook group for him and used come in chat....sadly he past aways few years ago
Chris
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Thanks for the tip!
I´ve heard some of Emitt Rhodes. Exceptionally talented artist indeed!
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

Thank you so very much for posting this. Emmit Rhodes was so talanted, such a great singer, songwriter, and we were all cheated by the record company just like he was cheated. The story is not e new one, is it? All of the great music we could have had, should have had, but it never happened. It's sad to watch this now, knowing what transpired between 1973 and now.
Rest In Peace Emnmit, you are surely missed.
Live
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

Here is some Emmit Rhodes for those who would like to delve into his music:

Good for a week:
hxxps://we.tl/t-Q0Dj8jZwr2
ted

Post by ted »

ksantus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:54 am Here is some Emmit Rhodes for those who would like to delve into his music:

Good for a week:
hxxps://we.tl/t-Q0Dj8jZwr2
Thank you for this...
the only thing I personally haven't heard before, is when Emitt was the drummer during his days with The Palace Guuard.

Was anything recorded with Emitt on vocals back then with this group?

Many thanks! :D