Pink Floyd Animals 2022 ReIssue

General music and other artist discussions.
applebonkerz

Re: Pink Floyd Animals 2022 ReIssue

Post by applebonkerz »

stereoman33 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:13 am ...mmmmm...well there is a different guy that mixes the beatles stuff
Yes, unfortunately.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Just listened to the Bluray surround mix tonight...
I have many of the bootleg surround mixes (5.1 and 4.0 QUAD) that claim to be sourced from an 'unreleased QUAD mix' and for decades that was always the question...as nobody officially verified a quad mix was ever made. After the Immersion sets started releasing the original quad mixes WITH new surround mixes, and they skipped Animals...I guess fans had enough.

So I noticed each of these sets - there are NO outtakes or demos...and there is no QUAD release WITH the new surround mix on the Bluray. The notes even say this is the first release of a multichannel mix, too. So I listened to it - very nice quality, but the one things that stood out to me -

The first and Last tracks - Pigs On The Wing Parts 1 and 2 - are NOT mixed in surround. The past boots would use AI and equalization to create the surround mix, but HERE - nothing played in the other channels. At first I checked to make sure I chose the surround mix - and I did. So I continued to listen and when the SECOND track started...

all I can say is WOW!

you'll see! enjoy!
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:19 am The first and Last tracks - Pigs On The Wing Parts 1 and 2 - are NOT mixed in surround. The past boots would use AI and equalization to create the surround mix, but HERE - nothing played in the other channels. At first I checked to make sure I chose the surround mix - and I did. So I continued to listen and when the SECOND track started...

all I can say is WOW!

In all likelihood, the lack of surround signal for the first and last tracks was deliberate. A single vocal and acoustic guitar don't get too much more exciting beyond stereo. I liked that as well.

One bummer, speaking of extras....why not include the 8-track version of the combined Pigs On The Wing with the guitar solo in the middle? That woulda been a no-brainer.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

that was def deliberate - and I liked it, too.

So you believe there was a QUAD mix for 8-tracks? actually seen one? I know catalog numbers were assigned...
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Technical question: in what format (maybe MP4?) should I save the Surround audio files so I can listen to them on my Sonos Home TV system through my Apple TV box?
Yves
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »