Pink Floyd Animals 2022 ReIssue

General music and other artist discussions.
Ziggy C

Pink Floyd Animals 2022 ReIssue

Post by Ziggy C »

I sat last night, in wonder, listening to the new (well,....2018 new...) 5.1 mix of Animals which was just released a week or so ago. Just as in the newly remixed Dark Side and WYWH reissues several years ago, this album comes alive with a tremendous depth not discernible in the original releases. I had no choice but to listen to it at a nice comfortable (read high) volume. The drumming in Dogs, the vocals in Pigs, the revised biblical passage in Sheep, and so many other moments in the album are resplendent with incredible clarity. Finally. This is going to take several listenings to bring an even fuller appreciation.

Animals has proven to be a polarizing moment both within and outside of the band. Fans either love it or put it to the bottom of the heap. The internal workings/relationships/collaborations of the band were starting to shear. Animals, for all practical purposes, could be construed as the first Roger Waters solo work; albeit one which has Pink Floyd as the backing band. But there are plenty of moments where the other members shine. Dave's guitar work throughout is awesome. Rick's keyboard work, especially in Sheep, way up there. Nick's drumming, spot on, in time, and complexity such that one listens to it and thinks, "Hey, I could do that." Um, no you couldn't. Nope.

I hope that a surround mix of The Wall is forthcoming as well as The Final Cut. Those works would lend themselves very well to the 5.1 and Atmos listening environments. But if problems similar to those which arose in reissuing Animals were to impede them, then I'd expect that, maybe, by 2040, we might finally have them. Maybe. Not holding my breath.
powerPC

Re: Pink Floyd Animals 2022 ReIssue

Post by powerPC »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 pm I sat last night, in wonder, listening to the new (well,....2018 new...) 5.1 mix of Animals which was just released a week or so ago. Just as in the newly remixed Dark Side and WYWH reissues several years ago, this album comes alive with a tremendous depth not discernible in the original releases. I had no choice but to listen to it at a nice comfortable (read high) volume. The drumming in Dogs, the vocals in Pigs, the revised biblical passage in Sheep, and so many other moments in the album are resplendent with incredible clarity. Finally. This is going to take several listenings to bring an even fuller appreciation.

Animals has proven to be a polarizing moment both within and outside of the band. Fans either love it or put it to the bottom of the heap. The internal workings/relationships/collaborations of the band were starting to shear. Animals, for all practical purposes, could be construed as the first Roger Waters solo work; albeit one which has Pink Floyd as the backing band. But there are plenty of moments where the other members shine. Dave's guitar work throughout is awesome. Rick's keyboard work, especially in Sheep, way up there. Nick's drumming, spot on, in time, and complexity such that one listens to it and thinks, "Hey, I could do that." Um, no you couldn't. Nope.

I hope that a surround mix of The Wall is forthcoming as well as The Final Cut. Those works would lend themselves very well to the 5.1 and Atmos listening environments. But if problems similar to those which arose in reissuing Animals were to impede them, then I'd expect that, maybe, by 2040, we might finally have them. Maybe. Not holding my breath.
Well said Ziggy C... I like the new (2018) remix. So far I've only listened through the computer speakers, but plan on a more thorough "headphone experience" this weekend. I think the SDE is coming out next month, right? 8-)
—Keith
skynet

Post by skynet »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 pm I sat last night, in wonder, listening to the new (well,....2018 new...) 5.1 mix of Animals which was just released a week or so ago. Just as in the newly remixed Dark Side and WYWH reissues several years ago, this album comes alive with a tremendous depth not discernible in the original releases. I had no choice but to listen to it at a nice comfortable (read high) volume. The drumming in Dogs, the vocals in Pigs, the revised biblical passage in Sheep, and so many other moments in the album are resplendent with incredible clarity. Finally. This is going to take several listenings to bring an even fuller appreciation.

i Wholeheartedly agree with you Ziggy, just heard it today the 5.1 is nothing but outstanding, i loved the way they mixed the PSALM on sheep, it kind of gives you the shivers :), great mix overall (stereo and multi), but i have to emphasize, i loved the 5.1.

Similar to you i am expecting The Wall and the Final Cut, but as well not holding my breath given the issues that Roger have with the rest of the band, in particular with Dave.

Anyway great listening experience

Regards
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

powerPC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:56 pm ...I think the SDE is coming out next month, right? 8-)
The September release, AFAIK, was individual releases on Vinyl, BluRay, & CD.
The October SDE release is everything combined together in a gatefold release which also includes a regular DVD along with a 32-page wondrous and enlightening picture book.

Musically, AFAIC, it's already out there. And its awesome!
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:18 pm
The October SDE release is everything combined together in a gatefold release which also includes a regular DVD along with a 32-page wondrous and enlightening picture book.
Wot, no marbles???
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

You all missed the 15 Sept the Roger Waters concerts...Mind you I seen him in late Sept at Wesley United Church, in Vancouver, BC
I do know the date, once I go thru a blurry photo, but was dated... :mrgreen:
walrus gumboot

Post by walrus gumboot »

I would love to hear a proper release of the Wall tracks from the Movie
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

Animals is #5 on UK Albums Chart

Tells me folks love ROCK, good ROCK...lol
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Earlier tonight I listened to the Animals surround mix, and then the Let It Be SDE surround mix back-to-back hearing both of those mixes for the first time. As with the previous PF surround mixes, this one was also absolutely gorgeous sounding. As with the previous Beatles surround mixes, this one was underwhelming and congested-sounding. Almost the exact opposite of the way they made Pink Floyd sound. I just don't understand why Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull can have such wonderful sounding remixes and surround mixes, and The Beatles are stuck with these inferior results. Aggravating.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

applebonkerz wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:52 am Earlier tonight I listened to the Animals surround mix, and then the Let It Be SDE surround mix back-to-back hearing both of those mixes for the first time. As with the previous PF surround mixes, this one was also absolutely gorgeous sounding. As with the previous Beatles surround mixes, this one was underwhelming and congested-sounding. Almost the exact opposite of the way they made Pink Floyd sound. I just don't understand why Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull can have such wonderful sounding remixes and surround mixes, and The Beatles are stuck with these inferior results. Aggravating.
...mmmmm...well there is a different guy that mixes the beatles stuff