The Making Of Grace Jones' "Slave To The Rhythm"

General music and other artist discussions.
mojofilter

The Making Of Grace Jones' "Slave To The Rhythm"

Post by mojofilter »

There is so much interesting stuff on YouTube that I'll never have to watch television again. I watched something and this popped up in the recommended videos list. There is a website called "Produce Like A Pro" that creates videos teaching record production techniques, and they have a sub-series called "Songs That Changed Music." This episode features Stephen Lipson interviewed on the making of Grace Jones' record "Slave To The Rhythm." He's in the control room with the digital multitracks, playing back different elements to show you how it was put together. It runs 31 minutes, and I found it just fascinating. I was gobsmacked when I first heard this record. It seemed to be production from another level that was only inhabited by people like Lipson and Trevor Horn, and Art Of Noise, and Godley & Creme. Somehow, it manages to be more than the sum of its parts - and that's in the production.

I learned from reading Luca Perasi's book on Paul's recording sessions that this is one of his favorite records. No wonder!

Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
innergroove

Re: The Making Of Grace Jones' "Slave To The Rhythm"

Post by innergroove »

That was great. I was a big ZTT fan back in the 80s.
JPM7756

Post by JPM7756 »

Amazing production. ZTT had some of the best music associated with it and a top production team.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Love this track...still have the 12".